European Places Clarification

texanwellfan

Based on some conversation in the shout box today I am pasting the information below from SPL website. Apologies if this is elsewhere in another thread.

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=s2&newsid=10789

Hopefully this will not concern us anyway but................

It seemed to have been said that if one of the top 5 wins the cup then all top 5 teams will be in europe. ( said before the rangers situation ) That is not the case. ( according to below ) If Celtic win the cup then Hibs or Aberdeen will be in Europe. What It doesn't tell us is, what happens if Hearts ( assuming they stay in top 6 ) win the cup?? I am assuming, due to lack of any statement, that the runners up will not qualify for europe in that case.

So, not surprisingly, first order of business for us, is to get points tally that secures 5th place thereby ensuring european football, since Rangers will not be in europe. Then same for 4th then 3rd then second.

As many have stated we do need to take one game at a time so this is more of a "check off" list after each week, where hopefully we earn some more points and our rivals have one less game left to catch us.

European places 2012/13

Scotland's position in the UEFA rankings at the end of 2010/11 was 15th, meaning that five clubs will qualify for European competitions next season:

~ The 2011/12 champions and runners-up enter the Champions League in the third qualifying round.

~ This season's Scottish Cup winners enter the Europa League in qualifying round four (play-offs).

~ The third-placed club in the SPL go into the Europa League third qualifying round.

~ The fourth-placed club in the SPL go into the Europa League second qualifying round.

~ If the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, then the SPL third-placed club enters at QR4, the fourth-placed club enters in QR3 and the cup runners-up enter in QR2.

~ If the Scottish Cup winners and runners-up have both qualified for the Champions League then the fifth-placed club in the SPL qualify for Europe, going into the Europa League at QR2.

As i understand it if Celtic win the cup then as they will be in the champions league whoever gets to the final with them will get a Europa league place. The team finishing 2nd or 3rd (hopefully Motherwell) will get the second champions league spot and the other 2 Europa league places will go to 4th and 5th in the league (i am assuming Rangers will be no lower than 3rd ).

So if it is a Celtic / Hearts cup final then all 5 teams in the top six as it stands now will be in Europe.

As i understand it if Celtic win the cup then as they will be in the champions league whoever gets to the final with them will get a Europa league place. The team finishing 2nd or 3rd (hopefully Motherwell) will get the second champions league spot and the other 2 Europa league places will go to 4th and 5th in the league (i am assuming Rangers will be no lower than 3rd ).

So if it is a Celtic / Hearts cup final then all 5 teams in the top six as it stands now will be in Europe.

Celtic will play Hearts/St Mirren in the semi final so you would suspect that the winner of Hibs vs Aberdeen has a very good chance of making the Europa League, in which case 6th place in the SPL won't be.

1) whoever wins cup gets first europa cup place .They will enter in playoff round. If Celtic win cup they are in champions league and runner up ( Hibs or Aberdeen will get 3rd europa cup place) earliest entry lowest rank in qualifying round 2

2) Celtic in Champions league qualifying round 3 champions draw . Next eligible team in league qualifying round 3 non-champions draw. Next 2 eligible teams will be either 1st or 2nd Europa cup qualifier or 2nd and 3rd Europa cup qualifier if hearts St Mirren hibs or Aberdeen win cup

3) 1st Europa league qualifier is round 4, 2nd is round 3, and 3rd is Round 2 of qualifying competition

It is now certain that a europa cup place will be won by the cup winner or Runner up unless Aberdeen somehow make it to the top 6 and the final

Simples!

1) whoever wins cup gets first europa cup place .They will enter in playoff round. If Celtic win cup they are in champions league and runner up ( Hibs or Aberdeen will get 3rd europa cup place) earliest entry lowest rank in qualifying round 2

2) Celtic in Champions league qualifying round 3 champions draw . Next eligible team in league qualifying round 3 non-champions draw. Next 2 eligible teams will be either 1st or 2nd Europa cup qualifier or 2nd and 3rd Europa cup qualifier if hearts St Mirren hibs or Aberdeen win cup

3) 1st Europa league qualifier is round 4, 2nd is round 3, and 3rd is Round 2 of qualifying competition

It is now certain that a europa cup place will be won by the cup winner or Runner up unless Aberdeen somehow make it to the top 6 and the final

Simples!

I don't think that is right.

If Hearts win the cup, and finish in a Europa spot in the league then the runner up would not qualify.

Hearts would take the cup spot (the best Europa spot) and their qualificatiuon spot in the league would drop down to the next highest team. (ie. all top 6 apart from Rangers would be in Europe)

EK's statement is correct

If celtic win cup then aberdeen or hibs will take lowest euro spot. ( Unless aberdeen end up in a top 6 poition higher than the lowest qualifying spot )

Obviously if Aberdeen or hibs ( or St mirren or hearts ) win the cup they get highest qualifying berth.

if St Mirren or hearts get beat in the final They get nothing since the winner ( aberdeen or hearts ) will take highest berth.

EK's statement is correct

If celtic win cup then aberdeen or hibs will take lowest euro spot. ( Unless aberdeen end up in a top 6 poition higher than the lowest qualifying spot )

Obviously if Aberdeen or hibs ( or St mirren or hearts ) win the cup they get highest qualifying berth.

if St Mirren or hearts get beat in the final They get nothing since the winner ( aberdeen or hearts ) will take highest berth.

Ah, I misread the statement.

I read as "It is now certain that a europa cup place will be won by the cup Runner up".

Sorry for any confusion.

Sorry to add more confusion but the Cup runners up only get a Euro spot if the winners have qualified for a higher place ie champions league.

So if Celtic win then Aberdeen or Hibs go into EL Q4,

If Hearts win then they take the EL Q4 spot and Aberdeen or Hibs get feck all,

A St Mirren win gives them the EL Q4 place and again Aberdeen and Hibs get nothing.

This is assuming that Well finish 3rd and go into CL Q3 with Celtic, so the only way Aberdeen or Hibs are getting into Europe is if Celtic make the final or they win the cup

Confused...you will be :blink:

• Like 1

Sorry to add more confusion but the Cup runners up only get a Euro spot if the winners have qualified for a higher place ie champions league.

So if Celtic win then Aberdeen or Hibs go into EL Q4,

If Hearts win then they take the EL Q4 spot and Aberdeen or Hibs get feck all,

A St Mirren win gives them the EL Q4 place and again Aberdeen and Hibs get nothing.

This is assuming that Well finish 3rd and go into CL Q3 with Celtic, so the only way Aberdeen or Hibs are getting into Europe is if Celtic make the final or they win the cup

Confused...you will be :blink:

I vote Pies approach

That's what I was wondering David. If we get into the champions league qualifiers and get knocked out, do we drop into the final qualifying round of the Europa League as a seeded team?

According to Sportsound we do, yeah. Chick Young personally confirmed it, for what that's worth.

According to Sportsound we do, yeah. Chick Young personally confirmed it, for what that's worth.

Hope he's correct for once! That would give us a decent chance of getting into the Europa League group stages. Suppose we would be the seeded team all the unseeded ones would be looking to get though.

The same guy that personally congratulated Ross County staff on air for getting into Europe, minutes after beating Celtic in the Scottish Cup SF.

I'll need another source before I believe it.

Hate to disappoint you all but Bert Kassies excellent website shows that europa league round 4 was based on the UEFA co-efficients

Fc Vaslui were knocked out in the 3rd round of the champions league non champions qualifiers and were non seeded in the play off round. They were drawn against seeded team Sparta Prague but did progress to the Group stages

Linky thing

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/index.html