Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

Pish, Motherwell have never been about winning trophies and probably never will, otherwise we'd all have given up decades ago.

Playing for 3rd every year and somehow getting to 2nd in this climate is/will be a major achievement and far outweighs anything a five game Cup run could offer, not to mention the financial prize. I revere the Cup FInal squad still like everyone but this achievement will still be ranked up there in 21 years time if we manage it, no questions about that. The Champions League is the prime European competition and for a club as small as ours to compete in it would be unbelievable. This isn't just any 3rd rate Euro qualifier, this is the premium tournament and for me that outweighs a domestic cup every day of the week.

So 90% of the teams in the world should just give up playing the game then?

So Clubs don't have a crack at a National Cup or even league restricted Cups? In the UK think of the finalists of the FA Cups in recent years. A lot of lower league teams. If you still can't realistically progress in those there will be Cups you can aim for. JPT (massive deal to Carlisle fans last Season) and even the Challenge Cup up here.

Oooops, look what I've started!

I can't deny I'm jealous of your chance of champs league qualifiers and will prob go to the games at FP.

To an extent I agree with fatcalf too but only one of the two will get an open top bus go through your town and its not qualifying for Europe.

To me, the scenes in Killie on Sunday (and 97) were as enjoyable as the game itself.

I really hope you qualify for CL and give it your best shot. Nothing to lose.

Motherwell aren't about winning trophies?

The Club, players, fans, staff, management etc. ALL want them. We ARE about high league positioning and trying to win (two) trophies. We just haven't been able do it. The Cups that is. This hasn't been without maximum effort though.

For all his failures, you've stlll not beaten ( or scored against him) as boss.

Did we not draw 1-1 after the split last season at Fir Park?

Cheap point scoring I know, but had a week of everyone correcting all my mistakes so thought I'd get one back.

Think tomorrow will depend on Killie, the atmosphere will either inspire them or the excitement will kill them. We need to go down there and do a professional job. If there are parts of the team with inexperience we need to pressure them (unlike what Aberdeen did to us last week). They may have a few out but they are a decent team, though incredibly in and out. We do our normal away performance and I doubt we'll lose. Can see it being a draw again to be honest.

Did we not draw 1-1 after the split last season at Fir Park?

Cheap point scoring I know, but had a week of everyone correcting all my mistakes so thought I'd get one back.

Think tomorrow will depend on Killie, the atmosphere will either inspire them or the excitement will kill them. We need to go down there and do a professional job. If there are parts of the team with inexperience we need to pressure them (unlike what Aberdeen did to us last week). They may have a few out but they are a decent team, though incredibly in and out. We do our normal away performance and I doubt we'll lose. Can see it being a draw again to be honest.

Good point, I stand corrected. Eremenkos last game.

The midweek monsoon game was 1-0.

Killed too many braincells Sunday/Monday/Tues!

So Clubs don't have a crack at a National Cup or even league restricted Cups? In the UK think of the finalists of the FA Cups in recent years. A lot of lower league teams. If you still can't realistically progress in those there will be Cups you can aim for. JPT (massive deal to Carlisle fans last Season) and even the Challenge Cup up here.

I didn't say they couldn't have a crack, I'm saying that 90% of them aren't going to win. If all that matters is winning, then they should pack up and go home.

But they COULD win. That is the point. Fans believe their Club can win x trophy and sooner or later it tends to happen. Very few Clubs are without an honour if some distinction.

No way were Killie and Birmingham fans thinking they would see League Cup trophies in their cabinets but they had the hope. Hope turning to actual reality then the celebration. Tremendous stuff.

Motherwell have never been about winning trophies and probably never will

Exactly, and for that point alone I'd value a Cup win over a few games in the Champions League any day of the week. Motherwell Football Club don't win trophies. We're never going to win the league and although the domestic Cups present us with our best chance of winning something, we've only reached three finals in God knows how many years with one cup win to show for it in that time. So for that reason, I'd consider a Cup win to be the greatest achievement that we could get.

massive game tomorrow, i'll enjoy getting pumped in the champions league as much as the next guy but the extra 900k for finishing 2nd its more important. Hopefully see a few 'well fans coming out the woodwork tomorrow my group of 3 or 4 is going to be 8 or 9 canny fucking wait. With Killie returning to a league game after such a high and with a lot of injury's supensions for them im confident we can get the three points. COYW

A hard game to call. Killie are hard to predict.

They do have an excellent recent record against us which suggests that if we are really at the top of our game then, with a bit of luck we might just snatch a draw. On their game they are are undoubtedly one of the finest teams in the SPL capable of giving anyone a doing. They've just won the League Cup and might be on a high today backed by 10,000 hyper fans. They'll want to win the game at all costs for Liam Kelly's dad. If things go their way in the next few weeks there's a top 6 slot up for grabs.

The flip side is they're very inconsistent (maybe not against us) and are well capable of getting beaten by the bottom club. They've a few key players out injured and suspended in defence and midfield, although replacements might play out of their skins to prove they've been badly treated by Kenny Shiels. They'll be in party mode but the sad death of Liam Kelly's father will have had an effect on the squad. A top 6 slot is now unlikely and what is there left to play for? As Craig Brown proved to us a fortnight ago, bad records don't last forever.

Then there is us......

McCall isn't buying into Kenny Shiels headgames about Killie having no chance today;

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall has laughed off Kenny Shiels' suggestion his depleted Kilmarnock side will struggle when the teams meet at Rugby Park.

Shiels is without seven players, including centre-backs Mohamadou Sissoko, Manuel Pascali and Ryan O'Leary, but he has the experienced Michael Nelson and Zdenek Kroca as cover.

Motherwell last week beat Aberdeen with young central defensive partnership Jonathan Page and Adam Cummins keeping a clean sheet amid suspensions to Shaun Hutchinson and Tim Clancy and Achilles injuries for Stephen Craigan and Steven Saunders.

So McCall will take nothing for granted in the league clash despite Shiels' protestations.

"I think Kenny tried a few mind games last week against Celtic and it looks like it worked," McCall said.

"I take his point, he has a couple of key men suspended and a couple of injuries.

"We're still without (Keith) Lasley, Craigan is still out, Saunders is not back yet.

"Last week we had to bring in a couple of (under) 19s boys and the lads certainly rose to the challenge.

"I'm sure Kilmarnock have a big enough squad to cover, I don't think they will be bringing kids in. But if they do, they have good youths to come in as well."

Killie have performed better against the top sides this season, beating Rangers home and away, leading 3-0 against Celtic in October as well as beating them in the Scottish Communities League Cup final.

The Ayrshire side are also unbeaten against top-six sides Motherwell and Hearts.

"We've had two really good games against Kilmarnock this season, but both strangely enough finished goalless," McCall said.

"Both games could have finished 2-2, both goalkeepers were in fine form.

"We're well aware what Kilmarnock can produce on the day. They will probably say they have been a little bit inconsistent, but they have had some wonderful results and won the cup, which is a fantastic achievement.

"But if someone were to say we were going to be 20 points ahead of them, I wouldn't have believed it because we are very even as sides and as squads."

Old Firm fans will be fully focused on news from Rugby Park tomorrow as anything less than victory for Motherwell would ensure Celtic could win the title at Ibrox on Sunday.

Former Rangers midfielder McCall, whose team are level on points with the Ibrox side, said: "I've got friends who are Rangers supporters, and family, and it's probably mixed for them.

"They don't want to see Motherwell jump too far ahead, but don't want the opportunity for their greatest rivals to have a party in their stadium.

"But it will be in their own hands as well. They have got a game against Celtic, you can never call a derby.

"Both teams are coming off the back of disappointing defeats. It's got all the ingredients of a torrid affair.

"But we'll just concentrate on what we can do on Saturday. We want to amass as many points as we can.

"We are still wary of the teams below us and we will be focused."

Meanwhile, McCall confirmed the club had begun talks with Steve Jennings over a contract extension amid reports that the midfielder was attracting interest from clubs in the npower Championship.

"We have opened negotiations with five or six of the boys," McCall said. "I stay out of the way of it. Jenno has been talked to.

"He has always signed for a season, but he has been terrific. There have certainly been discussions with Steve."