Kilmarnock Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

David

The yellows for Hammell and Jennings you can't comment on as we have no idea what was said but the other four (two each) were a nonsense.

I actually thought it summed him up entirely that after booking Hammell he proceeded to allow Nicky Law to have a running "debate" with him for a good 15-20 seconds before he pulled him up for a talking to, and still didn't book him.

As you say you don't know what's been said but it seemed laughable to book Hammell for dissent and then allow Law to chat back for as long as he did and go unpunished.

Consistently inconsistent!

Would agree with that FC. Tom Hateley isn't a natural defender or wing back and it does show. Even on the overlap he struggles to beat his man. That said he's filled in during a crisis and done a job. Defence wise Steven Saunders does offer more and I'd like to see him reach the first team again before the end of the season. .

If he isn't a natural defender/fullback it reflects really badly on many we've had over the years in the position!

He played there for so long now he is clearly our first choice and by and large he does a decent job. He does have some poor games and I don't get why he has to hit quite so many of our set pieces. Sure he does put in some decent deliveries but there are days when he clearly not quite at it and others who can surely also put in decent deliveries rarely step up.

He also on balance is clearly a better full back than central midfielder on evidence of games played for us. Generally overlaps reasonably well, is capable of beating a man on his own on occasion. Wriggled past couple of defenders on a few occasions I can think of, lost it trying to beat defenders plenty as well but that is fairly normal. Probably better going forward than the defensive side but a few mares aside don't see him as any sort of liability more than any other member of the back line. Hammell only one would say is definitely more consistent.

Saunders pre injury looked alright shows potential and has some advantages in size and seems quite spring heeled with it but by far and away currently back up be it at full back or in the centre.

• Like 1

If he isn't a natural defender/fullback it reflects really badly on many we've had over the years in the position!

He played there for so long now he is clearly our first choice and by and large he does a decent job. He does have some poor games and I don't get why he has to hit quite so many of our set pieces. Sure he does put in some decent deliveries but there are days when he clearly not quite at it and others who can surely also put in decent deliveries rarely step up.

He also on balance is clearly a better full back than central midfielder on evidence of games played for us. Generally overlaps reasonably well, is capable of beating a man on his own on occasion. Wriggled past couple of defenders on a few occasions I can think of, lost it trying to beat defenders plenty as well but that is fairly normal. Probably better going forward than the defensive side but a few mares aside don't see him as any sort of liability more than any other member of the back line. Hammell only one would say is definitely more consistent.

Saunders pre injury looked alright shows potential and has some advantages in size and seems quite spring heeled with it but by far and away currently back up be it at full back or in the centre.

:nod:

Does anyone know the history of this Crawford Allan character? He seemed like he simply didn't have a clue yesterday and appaeared completely flustered during the game at points.

Now is a very experienced SPL referee and generally does a competent job though I agree he had a bit of a shocker yesterday. Until this season I believe we had only lost once when we had had him which was a game at Tynecastle when Brown first took charge, Though this season we have lost four of the five we have had him and whilst not the only reason I think it is partly because he seems quite content for defenders to stop strikers jumping which minimises the impact Higdon has. He was also the referee the day Phil died and wrote a really nice piece about him in one of the papers.

not sure what all this stuff is about Tom Hately. Wasn't it ealrier this season he was touted......on here........ as the most consistent full back in the SPL??? Now apparently he has no clue. Just his turn to have a dip in form i think.

People also saying that he is a midfielder, I remember people criticisin him for thinking he's a midfielder when he's actually a better right back :s

• Like 3

According to his old man, Nicky Devlin wasn't too far away from the first team before his injury. Never seen him play myself...

Didn't contribute too much during the game at Riccarton the other day so not likely to be starting too soon... but that may have been a bad day at the office as we say.

Our over reliance on long balls to Higdon is becoming embarrassing. We appear to have stopped trying to play football of any sort. It was clear before half time that he and Ojamma were having stinkers, Ojamma even changed his boots!

Also, I like Clancy, but he needs to stop playing the Stephen Craigan ball!

With Humphrey starting to hit a bit of form we need to mix it up a bit and to get back to playing slick passing football.

TOM HATELEY concedes Motherwell will ruin a superb season unless they improve on their shoddy Rugby Park show.

The Fir Park outfit blew their opportunity to nab second spot in the SPL with a lacklustre performance.

Stuart McCall’s team failed to build on a decent opening and were put to the sword by Kenny Shiels’ side.

And Hateley said: “It was really disappointing to be so flat. It was a bad day at the office.

“We needed to show up because we’ve a lot to play for but we definitely didn’t.

“That was one of the most disappointing performances of our season. We need to have a good look at ourselves this week in training and try to pick ourselves up.

“It’s not the time of the season for slip-ups and we’ve had a big chat in the changing room about that.

“All the hard work we have done up until now counts for nothing if we don’t turn up for games now.

“I don’t think there’s fear. As a group we’ve played in big games together in the past, European qualifiers and the like, and we’ve reacted well to pressure.

“We didn’t create enough, we weren’t strong enough defensively and, when that’s the case and you’re not keeping clean sheets, you don’t stand a chance.

“We learned a harsh lesson and we’ll work hard to put it right.”

Hateley’s miserable day was summed up when a penalty was awarded against him when he blocked Garry Hay’s shot.

He added: “I said to the referee I’d slid in and covered my chest with my hands but he felt my hands were making my body bigger.

“I felt I tried to put them at the side of my body and jump in front of the ball.

“It hit my arm but it was disappointing as it was a crucial time of the game to lose a penalty and to go 2-0 down. It was a soul-breaker.”

Good to hear this response from the dressing room. Hope we get a reaction on Saturday.

He's wrong about the pen tho. Wasnt sure at the game but on the tv evidence we can have no complaints.

Yet another fair sized support trooped down to Rugby Park and got an all too familiar result. This place has been a bit of bogey ground in the past few seasons and I for one have yet to see a winning 'Well team there. We got what we deserved - nada. Really disappointing display and worried that we still have performances like this in our locker especially at the business end of the season.