Who's Making The Top Six?

Stu

Touching wood here but I think we are certs along with Celtic (obviously!), Ross County, Inverness and St. Johnstone.

That leaves one place.

I think Hibs could drop out. They are in pretty poor form (1 win in the last 12). Aberdeen also seem to be going backwards.

Dundee Utd looked very good against us but don't turn it on enough. Kilmarnock could sneak in as they seem to be hitting a decent patch (only 2 defeats in the last 13) and they have a much better goal difference than Dundee Utd.

Celtic

Motherwell

Ross County

Inverness

St. Johnstone

Kilmarnock

Lookin at the 4 games left and recent form that would be my 6 as as well Bezzer. Although I had Killie above St J

Theses are the outstanding SPL fixtures

We have Sheep away,Hivs home,Dundee away,St Midden home 46 points 58 possible

ICT have Dundee away,RCFC home,Hivs away,StJ home 43 55

RCFC have Smeltic home,ICT away,Killie home,Tarts away 42 54

St Johnstone have Tarts away, Killie + Arabs home, ICT away 41 53

Hivs have Tarts home ,MFC away,ICT home,Smeltic away 39 51

Killie have StJ away,RCFC away,St Midden home,Dundee home 38 50

Arabs have St Midden away,Dundee home,StJ away,Sheep home 38 50

Sheep have MFC home,Smeltic away,Tarts home,Arabs away 37 49

I havent looked at all the permatations, but with most teams playing each other 2/3 if We win our next two/avoid defeat, that should secure our top six ?????

I'll be honest, as long as we're there I'm not overly fussed.

There are obviously teams against whom we have better records than others but I'm happy enough that we take care of ourselves, get our top six place sorted and see what we have to deal with after that.

I think the league is so tight and unpredictable that its something of a tall order trying to predict the outcomes the remaining SPL fixtures.

Just take care of our business and leave the rest to worry about it.

Dundee Utd looked very good against us but don't turn it on enough. Kilmarnock could sneak in as they seem to be hitting a decent patch (only 2 defeats in the last 13) and they have a much better goal difference than Dundee Utd.

Apparently that's Johnny Russell out for the rest of the season now, wouldn't be surprised if that scuppers their top six ambitions.

4 points from the next 2 guarantees top 6 regardless of what way round they come.

I fancy it will take less than that and we could already be there but like some other posters I would like as much of an advantage as possible going into the split.

No reason we cant win all of the games, apart from the fact we are Motherwell and its not generally our way.

Its gonna be an interesting run in whatever happens!

COYW!

If the top 6 stays as it is, I am pretty confident we will have 2nd place wrapped up. This year we have been immense against top 6 teams, winning 8 and drawing 2 of 14, which is by quite a bit the best in the league (Celtic won 5 and drawn 4 in 2nd). In contrast, we have one of the worst records in the league against bottom 6 sides this season, so this fairly easy looking run in, might not be as easy as it looks.

I agree with those that say we are pretty much certain for the top 6 now because all the other teams will be tripping each other up during the next 4 games.

I also think that we need as big a gap as we can manage going into the post split games to give us the best chance of 2nd and a little bit of breathing space, meaning the other teams will be under more pressure to get results.

If we can get 6-9 points out of the next 4 games, which is do-able, I think that should see us in pole position for 2nd place after the split. Its handy that ICT and Ross County play each other again before the split as well.

Look at the likely permutations I reckon we should go into the split 2nd top.

Motherwell (DLWW 7 points) 53

Inverness (WWLD 7 points) 50

Kilmarnock (WDWW 10 points) 48

Hibs (WWWL 9 points) 48

Dundee Utd (WWDW 10 points) 48

----------------------------------------------

Ross County (LLDW 4 points) 46

St. Johnstone (WLDD 5 points) 46

Aberdeen (DLWL 4 points) 41

I'm still haunted by the 4 points we lost in the last minute against Aberdeen and St Mirren. I really hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the arse as far as second place is concerned.

Add on they 4 points and it's totally different outlook.

Those dropped points have haunted me all season! If Hateley had stuck away that penalty at Parkhead as well we could be in a right good position. No point in talking about if's and but's though.

With the league being so close this season does anyone think there's a chance the team who finish 7th could end up actually having more points than say the team in 4th?

Those dropped points have haunted me all season! If Hateley had stuck away that penalty at Parkhead as well we could be in a right good position. No point in talking about if's and but's though.

With the league being so close this season does anyone think there's a chance the team who finish 7th could end up actually having more points than say the team in 4th?

In 2010/2011 Inverness in 7th finished on more points than the Kilmarnock in 5th and us in 6th. This season could actually see the team in 10th having more points than the team finishing 6th (or higher).

Edit: checking back in 2005/2006 it seems that ICT (again) in 7th had more points than the 4th placed team.

In 2010/2011 Inverness in 7th finished on more points than the Kilmarnock in 5th and us in 6th. This season could actually see the team in 10th having more points than the team finishing 6th (or higher).

Edit: checking back in 2005/2006 it seems that ICT (again) in 7th had more points than the 4th placed team.

Think there's a real good chance that could happen again this year. I'm not a fan of the split for that reason, if we ever lose out on say 3 places of prize money and maybe a European trip because we're 1 goal on GD away from the top 6 and end up ahead of a few teams I'd be fuming.

Think there's a real good chance that could happen again this year. I'm not a fan of the split for that reason, if we ever lose out on say 3 places of prize money and maybe a European trip because we're 1 goal on GD away from the top 6 and end up ahead of a few teams I'd be fuming.

The split has its flaws, but I have to say I never understand why folk get annoyed about such a scenario. Everyone knows what they're aiming for at the start of the season, and comparing points totals between the top and bottom after the split is comparing apples and oranges. (Which is why I always thought it might not have been such a bad idea to normalise things after the split by subtracting the number of points the bottom team in each half has from all the other teams in that half. At least then it's obvious that you're really dealing with two completely separate 'mini-leagues' at that point.)

yeah, the points at teh end of the season may look silly,

but for me its the simple fact that with the split its very rarely a fair league competition, with each team playing each other home and away an equal number of times.

add to the fact that both top and bottom some teams nearly alway lose out financially by losing out on a premium home gate

yeah, the points at teh end of the season may look silly,

but for me its the simple fact that with the split its very rarely a fair league competition, with each team playing each other home and away an equal number of times.

add to the fact that both top and bottom some teams nearly alway lose out financially by losing out on a premium home gate

Exactly why I'm not a fan of the split.

To be fair though, it's at least provided some excitement over the last couple of weeks. With Celtic and Dundee clear at either end of the table it could have been a bit depressing if the top and bottom 6 were virtually decided already as well.

we have 4 games lef to th split all winnable ............BUT........... We are Motherwell. We ahve already wone 2 on the trot. So what is our longest winning streak ( if you can call it a streak ) in the SPL? or what is our longest of run being undefeated? Would love to see us win all 4 on the way to the split but I think history is against us?? of going 6 wins in a row or 6 undefeated

1362342338[/url]' post='375895']

Just worked out some speculative scores for these last games and we go into the split in 2nd then

ICT, Utd, St J, Hibs

Could be oh so different tho

The first of my speculative scores was wrong, I had Saints down to draw tonight, doesn't change the final six.

Theses are the outstanding SPL fixtures

We have Sheep away,Hivs home,Dundee away,St Midden home 46 points 58 possible

ICT have Dundee away,RCFC home,Hivs away,StJ home 43 55

RCFC have Smeltic home,ICT away,Killie home,Tarts away 42 54

St Johnstone have Tarts away, Killie + Arabs home, ICT away 41 50

Hivs have Tarts home ,MFC away,ICT home,Smeltic away 39 51

Killie have StJ away,RCFC away,St Midden home,Dundee home 38 50

Arabs have St Midden away,Dundee home,StJ away,Sheep home 38 50

Sheep have MFC home,Smeltic away,Tarts home,Arabs away 37 49

I havent looked at all the permatations, but with most teams playing each other 2/3 if We win our next two/avoid defeat, that should secure our top six ?????

Updated after St johnstone defeat..........max 50 points before split and all 3 games remaining against to 6 possibles/rivals :evilgrin:

If we can do the business at Aberdeen on Saturday I think it might be a great day for us, looking at the other fixtures.

I fancy Hearts( V Hibs ) and Dundee ( V caley ) might do us a turn plus Ross county play Celtic.

Regardless, if we win it will still be a great day!

we have 4 games lef to th split all winnable ............BUT........... We are Motherwell. We ahve already wone 2 on the trot. So what is our longest winning streak ( if you can call it a streak ) in the SPL? or what is our longest of run being undefeated? Would love to see us win all 4 on the way to the split but I think history is against us?? of going 6 wins in a row or 6 undefeated

Most wins in a row in the SPL is 5 - season 2007 -08 and 2004 -05.

As for unbeaten, not sure. I recall a 9 game unbeaten run at some point. Canny mind when.