Motherwell V Kilmarnock 31/8/13

Yabba's Turd

There is a simple reason McFadden shouldn't be benched. Even in poor form, Kilmarnock put two guys on him yesterday. The same reason it was always useful having Humphrey in the team even if he was having one of "those" days crossing wise..

Has McFadden been good this season? No. Has he been as bad as some are making out or is he being judged to a higher standard? That's another question...

• Like 2

Yeah miles away from the scotland team I would only have him in on past form shame he might not make his 50 caps!

Looks so out of position on the right wing and so slow when he beats a man he cant get away from them gros bossed him all game since he is quick and strong! Showed a couple of moments he needs to play further forward to actually trouble the goal once he gets a yard of space!

As for the team thought we played well in patches and took our chances a draw prob be fair but we will lose some games we deserve later in the season! We have began to look like a bit of a long ball team with sutton flicking the ball on to Anier who as been a wonderful signing for this to work we need more players bombing on past sutton and Ainsworth looked quick when he came on!

Kilmarnock played a really high line today and that made it difficult for us due to lack of pace but def think that this team is slowly coming together carswell energy looking good in the middle still not sure what vigurs does in a game but we will get there i think

Don't know if you heard Shiels, Craigan and Warnock talking before the match, but both Craigan and Warnock seemed to suggest it was normal that players who are in the 2nd half of their career and miss a bit of preseason take a few weeks to get up to speed.

Why did he miss a bit of preseason though? Injury?

As a die hard optimist, I came away from Fir Park last night feeling optimistic. I see signs the new team is growing into a unit.

Ramsden looks more of a Right Back than Hateley ever did.

Carswell doesn't just look like Uncle Phil - he now plays like him. He and Keith look like out midfield engine room for now.

Anier's work rate is very impressive. There are signs of him linking up with Sutton.

It's interesting to note the comments on Faddy's fitness. If he is not fit, he can only get fitter.

Nine signings, not playing well, but third in the league,

I'm content.

• Like 5

As a die hard optimist, I came away from Fir Park last night feeling optimistic. I see signs the new team is growing into a unit.

Ramsden looks more of a Right Back than Hateley ever did.

Carswell doesn't just look like Uncle Phil - he now plays like him. He and Keith look like out midfield engine room for now.

Anier's work rate is very impressive. There are signs of him linking up with Sutton.

It's interesting to note the comments on Faddy's fitness. If he is not fit, he can only get fitter.

Nine signings, not playing well, but third in the league,

I'm content.

Don't disagree with a word of this..

Hutch I thought had a nitemare today. Looked a bombscare.

Funny how watching the same game we see different things.

While he had a few scary moments - short pass back, slicing the ball into the air, and 1 or 2 others I can't specifically recall - he was all over Boyd, beat him in the air every time, and never gave him a sniff of a chance. While not outstanding, it was far from a 'mare.

Perhaps the nervy play is coming from having not yet built up a proper understanding with McManus and Hollis. As it stands, neither of them are oozing confidence in their own ability. It's getting there, though.

Ah right, did not know that. Learn something new every day! Just as well I didn't have that on then as id have almost certainly binned my coupon by now.

You can usually still claim on a lost coupon if you give them the details. I didn't know about the o.g. rule though.

Cant understand all the griping and moaning about a lot of our players at the moment. Mc Call ,Sutton ,Mc Fadden ,Vigurs all getting pelters from guys around me yesterday. And as for Hollis ,if he even breathes in the wrong direction he's to "get to fuck" . Maybe i'm getting older and therefore more tolerant of mistakes and dips in perfomance than the younger guys in the east stand or maybe cos i've seen Andy Roddie in a Motherwell shirt, i understand what real pish looks like. I shudder to think what the reaction would have been if we had lost the last two games. Maybe i'm just easily pleased but two home wins will do mepopcorm1.gif

• Like 3

Cant understand all the griping and moaning about a lot of our players at the moment. Mc Call ,Sutton ,Mc Fadden ,Vigurs all getting pelters from guys around me yesterday. And as for Hollis ,if he even breathes in the wrong direction he's to "get to fuck" . Maybe i'm getting older and therefore more tolerant of mistakes and dips in perfomance than the younger guys in the east stand or maybe cos i've seen Andy Roddie in a Motherwell shirt, i understand what real pish looks like. I shudder to think what the reaction would have been if we had lost the last two games. Maybe i'm just easily pleased but two home wins will do mepopcorm1.gif

Spot on. Some right wankers going to see motherwell these days. Sitting there dying for one of the unpopular players to make a mistake. Then if faddy wins a throw in they jizz their pants.

• Like 1

Spot on. Some right wankers going to see motherwell these days. Sitting there dying for one of the unpopular players to make a mistake. Then if faddy wins a throw in they jizz their pants.

Agree i think we are going in the right direction no were near perfect. The abuse hollis got before anyone had seen him play was a disgrace and if you compare him to Steve woods he is world class! I think it is what often happen we have had the best 4-5 years since i have been a fan and prob for longer than that and we will prob going back to being 6-7th in the league!

I taped the game on BT Sport and watched some of it back late last night and this morning.

We are struggling for fluency at times and especially in the beginning our passes went astray in the final 3rd. Very frustrating.

I thought Sutton, Ramsden, Carswell and Lasely had good games. McManus and Hutchison really should be more solid when dealing with cross balls, but otherwise did OK.

Liking Ramsden at right back and his crossing looks better than Hateley's. Pleased for Big Sutty. He absolutely would have been a boo boy target , but 2 goals and real good effort so far means he is showing whu McCall got him to come back to us.

As for Hollis. He is never going to be flavour of the month for most including myself. But it is hard to argue with his input so far. Yes he could have done better at a couple of cross balls, but his 2 saves at the end were very good, the second one especially so. I did something I rarely do and that is put a few £ on Motherwell to win. So I have Hollis to thank for that save with his ankle. Absolute belter of a save and if Randy or Ruddy had made the save theye would be lauded, so should Hollis. Until he makes a blunder or two - he is 1st choice and that is the way it should be..

Scratching my head how we are sitting 3rd top after 5 games. As most have mentioned, that is a good effort as we all believe we can play better inc the boss and the players :nod:

I definitely think we are improving with every game and 9 points out of 5 games is a pretty good return considering it looks like Inverness and Aberdeen are going to be very hard teams to beat. The passing moves look slicker than before and everyone seems to be getting on the same wavelength.

The criticism of Hollis is completely unfair as he has not made a mistake in a competitive game yet and I will hate to see peoples reactions if he does actually cause a goal. Also cant understand what makes people think Neilsen will be any better?

Major positives though is that Stuart Carswell looks like he will make the step up and could be a great asset. hes pretty quick and strong and looks to be growing in confidence and McFadden and Vigurs are still pretty ineffective (even though i thought that was Vigurs best game yesterday) and if they can sharpen up or find a bit of the form they both have showed previously then I think we will be a really strong team.

• Like 1

To me Lee Hollis is a good goalkeeper but needs confidence or at least learn to look confident. He looks nervous and unsure even after he had made some good stops against Killie. After having Randolph in goals who never looked anything but confident it seems to me to that if Hollis looks a little unsure of himself that could lead to a lack of trust with the defence, I fear for him if he makes a mistake and the crowd gets on his back it could really effect him. Hopefully he will keep his place and become a hero to the fans like Randolph and Ruddy were.

Nowt wrong with Hollis. He also looked to come out of his shell a bit this weekend, and actually shout for the defence to leave the ball for him, or get into appropriate positions.

he's done better than expected but we are under pressure everytime the opposition have a set piece as they can fire it right into the six yard box and he won't come off his line.

if the other keeper is better he should be playing.

It was suggested to me last night that McManus and Hutchinson have been a bit shaky due to lack of confidence in Hollis. I'd argue that doesn't seem to be the case as they're happy to play him the ball in tight situations.

On the coming for crosses issue, a couple of points. If he's not confident, then he should stay on his line and let the defence deal with it. With the two central defenders we have, added to Ramsden and Sutton at set pieces, we shouldn't be allowing too many free headers anyway...

It was suggested to me last night that McManus and Hutchinson have been a bit shaky due to lack of confidence in Hollis. I'd argue that doesn't seem to be the case as they're happy to play him the ball in tight situations.

On the coming for crosses issue, a couple of points. If he's not confident, then he should stay on his line and let the defence deal with it. With the two central defenders we have, added to Ramsden and Sutton at set pieces, we shouldn't be allowing too many free headers anyway...

We should have Hutchison mark McManus at opposition set pieces, that shoulld reduce the danger :ph34r:

• Like 3

To me Lee Hollis is a good goalkeeper but needs confidence or at least learn to look confident. He looks nervous and unsure even after he had made some good stops against Killie. After having Randolph in goals who never looked anything but confident it seems to me to that if Hollis looks a little unsure of himself that could lead to a lack of trust with the defence, I fear for him if he makes a mistake and the crowd gets on his back it could really effect him. Hopefully he will keep his place and become a hero to the fans like Randolph and Ruddy were.

Trust is a two way street though, and as Haggis says he's had enough bother with goal-bound efforts from the two centre backs.

If he looks unsure it might be cos McManus has stuck two past him already and Heid has come close a couple times

Happy with Hollis so far though. He's done absolutely nothing wrong, and with the exception of one or two slight slips, has taken the ball out of the air well and contributed with some top class saves. Not worried about him at all. His biggest crime so far is not being Darren Randolph, but then we were blessed to have such a quality goalie for so long.

Missed the game due to a wedding but from the highlights.....

McManus and Hutchy getting in each others way for the Killie goal. Could've/should've been dealt with quite easily. I've been far from convinced by McManus so far and another calamity like that isn't doing anything to convince me otherwise. Possibly Hollis could've came for it, but this doesn't seem to be something he's ever going to do. There was a cross in the 2nd half as well which he looked like he was coming for then stopped and Hutchy then scooped over the bar. He did have 1 good and 1 outstanding save at the end right enough. Any abuse going his way is unwarranted but personally I would still like to see Neilsen start.

2 decent penalty shouts. Seen them given. Our luck is bound to change soon with these!??

Pleased and not surprised to hear Carswell had another good game. Concerned and not surprised to hear Faddy had another bad game. I would play Ainsworth instead of him next game.

We are sitting 3rd going into the international break which is always great and have picked up more points than I thought we would've considering we look really ropey and have a largely brand new team. Cannae complain really but hoping the under performers can up their game before long.