Dundee United V Motherwell 21/02/14

milo

Those that say faddy is finished at this level, are you for real?? He's not the world beater he was when he was 20, but since Christmas has still been one of our best players. He's been playing with his heart on his sleeve and showing some class. Forget his reputation and remove 'McFadden' from the back of his shirt and everyone would be happy with him. He's not the player he was at his peak but to suggest he is finished at SPL level is mental.

I know it's not popular view but that's how I see it. His effort has been good most of the time but he is very often ineffective and contributes little. I stand by what I said, if he wasn't James McFadden he wouldn't have half the fuss over him and his limited contributions this season.

While I wouldn't say Hutchinson has regressed, I would agree that he continues to make the same mistakes that he did three or four seasons ago and have said as much at the games this season (as Tweed will know, having had to listen to me going on about it). I tend to agree that these "brainfart" moments will limit his options in the summer. However, he may opt to move for more money which he could get at league two level...

Also agree that Lasley is having an outstanding season. Between him and Sutton for Player of the Year...

I would say he has regressed. He had something about him when he came into the team. He looked more composed, you wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up in opposition box take down a cross with a good touch and finish. Sure he looked a little rough around the edges but now I think he charges about cluelessly a lot more.

I honestly not fussed if he leaves in the summer, he no longer looks like a player waiting for bigger things. Maybe he needs a new challenge who knows but he is a complete liability these days.

I know it's not popular view but that's how I see it. His effort has been good most of the time but he is very often ineffective and contributes little. I stand by what I said, if he wasn't James McFadden he wouldn't have half the fuss over him and his limited contributions this season.

Agree to disagree I guess but I see it from a different angle. If he wasn't James mcfadden people wouldn't expect the unexpected and critics would be happier with his contributions since december.

Good post from 'Noah dosser' a few posts back. The club really needs to address the young talent not getting their chance. However, if these guys genuinely aren't good enough then we have other issues needing addressed. Either way something needs to be done if we are to sell at least a player a season to keep financially stable.

Riordan is a wee ned with a bad reputation off the park which makes him unpopular amongst most fans anyway so that is probably the worst example you could have given.

Forget wages because neither of us know what he earns. If he was a nobody signed from the lower leagues of Scotland would you really be disappointed with his contribution since December?

Riordan is a wee ned with a bad reputation off the park which makes him unpopular amongst most fans anyway so that is probably the worst example you could have given.

Forget wages because neither of us know what he earns. If he was a nobody signed from the lower leagues of Scotland would you really be disappointed with his contribution since December?

if he was a nobody he wouldn't be in the team and he would probably have been sent off last night for his constant dissent.

regardless of who he is the contribution isn't there and mcfadden and sutton isn't a viable partnership up front.

• Like 1

if he was a nobody he wouldn't be in the team and he would probably have been sent off last night for his constant dissent.

regardless of who he is the contribution isn't there and mcfadden and sutton isn't a viable partnership up front.

Well I'm glad you at least opened your mind to the point I was trying to make.

I can't be arsed repeating myself again. He was awful early season, much better recently and dont forget he was a class act when he rejoined last season. I massively disagree with those saying he is finished at SPL level.

Well I'm glad you at least opened your mind to the point I was trying to make.

I can't be arsed repeating myself again. He was awful early season, much better recently and dont forget he was a class act when he rejoined last season. I massively disagree with those saying he is finished at SPL level.

you think we should make allowances for the fact that he is only in the team on repuatation?

the league is the poorest it's ever been and he can't make an impact. unless he is willing to play for bob mchugh level wages he should be finished at fir park as that is his level of performance these days.

if he leaves at the end of the season who would sign him?

• Like 1

Faddy has not performed as well as we had he would have hoped. That said I think the last half a dozen games he has been decent and he has set up a good few goals as well as scoring a couple. Hardly worthy of the overwhelmingly negative view you have Steelboy.

he set up one goal and scored two in the partick and st johnstone games.

in the 2014 games he has barely made a contribution.

SM has to my knowledge really only brought 1 player through who was at Well as a youth for any length of time ie Stuart Carswell. Even wee Craig Moore was getting less game time prior to (as I just found out last night) his injury.

I just don't think SM will risk an inexperienced player when he can find an older journeyman pro, whereas just about every other SPFL manager is doing the opposite and will no doubt reap the benefits next season and beyond as their younger players gain more experience, strength and game awareness.

Fair points, however our current league position and last two league finishes under McCall might suggest that we're probably one of the hardest first teams to break into simply because our starting eleven generally performs so well. Would some of our key u20 players be getting a game for teams below us? Probably, but I'd say even Moore (wonder goal aside) has looked a bit out of his depth just now. He might step into Partick's or St Mirren's starting eleven, just not ours.

Not arguing with SM's or the team's merits which are obvious, my point is that if the younger players don't get a wee look in they are more likely to struggle when called on.

Also I may be old-fashioned but why juggle players about and play them out of position quite clearly affecting the balance of the team instead of giving a younger player a run.

I would also suggest that if the coaching staff don't rate them or trust them to do a job then the players should not be at the club.

Given the club's financial plight surely the younger players need to feature more to see if they will make the grade rather than making 2 or 3 positional changes to answer 1 problem.

• Like 1

I think it is a catch 22 situation. We do need to blood them but we also need to protect them and throwing them in against an opponent who could overrun us could damage them.

On Murray, I think last Saturday v Higginbotham could have been all right, as much as he is playing well we were always likely to have most of that game and despite some deficiencies in our defending that proved to be true.

I think last night against a team who were always going to have more of the game than us and with a struggling engine room in front, it could have been a disaster. Had that game come after a few games and an understanding built up with Ainsworth it may have happened. I also think the fact our wingers are not exactly brilliant at tracking back and protecting may have been a reason for not taking the punt.

But on balance, some of these guys need some game time so they can be utilised in situations like last night.

Faddy has not performed as well as we had he would have hoped. That said I think the last half a dozen games he has been decent and he has set up a good few goals as well as scoring a couple.

As often happens, the truth is somewhere between the two extremes. Faddy is not the player he was but still has something to offer. He can still produce that bit of game changing magic. However he has to be used properly and Stuart McCall hasn't quite got that right yet. As with many of the team last night Faddy had a game of 2 halves. In the first he was far too isolated, especially from John Sutton, and he didn't have the pace to put himself about. We needed someone to harry, annoy and pester the United defence but had no-one. Had he been fit Henri Anier would have been a better bet to start. However, in the second when we were on top he was a thorn in United's flesh and tried to create.

Faddy is fine when we are on top but when we are under the cosh he is ineffective. As Craig Paterson said last night he is a difficult player to pigeonhole but probably his best position is sitting in the gap just behind two strikers.

in the net.........:dash2:

Why are we discussing his positioning when the goal was put on a plate ???????

Why not? I said that the blame for the goal is Hutchinsons but you still expect the keeper to give you a chance of saving it. He may as well not have been there he gave the boy so much of the goal to aim at.

Not arguing with SM's or the team's merits which are obvious, my point is that if the younger players don't get a wee look in they are more likely to struggle when called on.

Also I may be old-fashioned but why juggle players about and play them out of position quite clearly affecting the balance of the team instead of giving a younger player a run.

I would also suggest that if the coaching staff don't rate them or trust them to do a job then the players should not be at the club.

Given the club's financial plight surely the younger players need to feature more to see if they will make the grade rather than making 2 or 3 positional changes to answer 1 problem.

This!!

That is my main criticism of McCall, despite the great job he has done, his juggling of the team at times like this baffles me. Take our starting line up last night for example....

Hammell at right back, zfa at left back and three centre mids in a midfield four. I don't see how that is better than playing an inexperienced right back who player for player isn't necessarily better, but allows the team to retain some sort of balance and consistency.

I dont honestly think Hutchie,Faddy and Nielson will be with us next season. Im sorry to be losing Hutchie the other 2 have been a big dissapointment. But with Aberdeen losing we're still in the mix. I didn't expect us to get a result at Tannadice with all our injuries. <_>

Nielsen is contracted with us till the end of next season, its Hollis who is out of contract this summer, I would most likely punt him and get Twardzik or some other half decent keeper that isn't prone to mistakes most games. I would also be very surprised if Hutchy stays next season, I can see him ending up somewhere like Sheffield utd this summer.

Why not? I said that the blame for the goal is Hutchinsons but you still expect the keeper to give you a chance of saving it. He may as well not have been there he gave the boy so much of the goal to aim at.

Have you watched the highlights ?

The way you are talking as if Dow rolled the ball in to the middle of the goal with the keeper standing at the post watching

The shot went in to the side netting at the post and Nielsen nearly made the save......... (According to the live game I watched and the re run I reviewed prior to making my post last night)

Hutchy made a mess and you tried to pass some of the blame on to the keeper........ (Hutchy also lost Gunning at the second)

I'm not Nielsen's biggest fan, but criticising him for the goal is poor ,IMHO.........(easy target)

Did he give Gunning a lot of the goal to aim at with the third when Faddy shat it ?:whistling:

That "jammy" 4-3 win over Thistle doesn't seem so bad after Aberdeen lose there does it. Add that to the team with the much higher budget, bigger home crowds etc beating an understrength Motherwell 3-1 & yet we're still 6 points ahead wi' a game in hand. Hardly a f*ckin' crisis at FP is it? Why not do everyone a favour & get behind your team rather than systematically ripping them to shreds at every hiccup.

• Like 5

Wasn't too surprised by the final result. Just very frustrating to hand them a 2 goal lead. Even on our best days, we'd struggle to salvage that against Utd.

While we are struggling for players, the one thing we need to do is focus for 90 mins and keep mistakes to a minimum.

Thanks to Partick, no great harm done.

• Like 1