2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

I'd like the manager to bring in anybody he thought would take us forward. Be that from the youth set up or from signings of experienced players.

This. McCall has a good track record. Guys like Clancy, Ramsden, Reid, Ojaama and Ainsworth didn't have stellar careers before arriving at Fir Park but we've got the best out of them...

• Like 1

It's not uncommon for the club to offer training facilities for guys who have served us well in the past so Clarkson going with the squad to join pre-season training is in keeping with that.

Will obviously help him in terms of fitness and will give McCall the opportunity to assess him at close quarters and see if he is perhaps the one to replace Anier. It's maybe worth remembering though that going on trial is no automatic route to a contract as Craig Reid found out last summer - albeit that changed later in the season.

Nothing to lose in having a look.

• Like 1

1403953067[/url]' post='415091']

Squad numbers confirmed and we have no number 1...

Looks like Euan Murray is away too.

Seems that way... Club being unfairly judged by some recently on him and another prospect recently.

But, I suspect Noah Dosser knows a lot more than he's suggesting whistling.gif Remarkable given his chat in recent posts on this very thread!

Seems that way... Club being unfairly judged by some recently on him and another prospect recently.

But, I suspect Noah Dosser knows a lot more than he's suggesting whistling.gif Remarkable given his chat in recent posts on this very thread!

I may have missed it but who has unfairly judging the club on him, and who else are you talking about?

It's not uncommon for the club to offer training facilities for guys who have served us well in the past so Clarkson going with the squad to join pre-season training is in keeping with that.

Will obviously help him in terms of fitness and will give McCall the opportunity to assess him at close quarters and see if he is perhaps the one to replace Anier. It's maybe worth remembering though that going on trial is no automatic route to a contract as Craig Reid found out last summer - albeit that changed later in the season.

Nothing to lose in having a look.

If he goes to portugal with the rest of the squad then it would probably be a good indication that he is going to sign up.

Didn't know about Portugal, same training base as last year?

No idea if it's the same base but is it not a bit of a waste of money going to Portugal when we've made a loss again?

Pretty sure I said the exact same thing last year as well. Aye it's good for morale but we're skint

Anyway back on topic I'd rather we try and get a younger guy that we can hopefully punt for a bit of money in a few years rather than get Clarkson back

No idea if it's the same base but is it not a bit of a waste of money going to Portugal when we've made a loss again?

Pretty sure I said the exact same thing last year as well. Aye it's good for morale but we're skint

Depends. How much more money do you think we'd lose if morale was worse so we finished 10th?

If he goes to portugal with the rest of the squad then it would probably be a good indication that he is going to sign up.

Why?

McCall has already said that he is going so that he can have a look at him, if he doesn't measure up to his standards then he aint goin to sign him. He might have shown enough in training for McCall to want to have a closer look ,thats all.

Alan Stubbs said that he had over 100 agents on the phone to him offering players within 1 day of being appointed so I would like to think that after hanging up on him one of the next people they phoned was McCall offering him the same players.

He's made one mistake since becoming our manager (Daley) and one other that might turn out to be a mistake (Lawson) so I think he's done enough over the course to prove he knows a player that would fit into our squad when he sees one.

People gettin their knickers in a twist over nothing.

There was the Irish geezer Jones too, but I think that McCall has done very well with his signings so far. Actually, come to think of it, McHugh, Hollis and Cummings were already at the club when McCall arrived.

Why?

McCall has already said that he is going so that he can have a look at him, if he doesn't measure up to his standards then he aint goin to sign him. He might have shown enough in training for McCall to want to have a closer look ,thats all.

Alan Stubbs said that he had over 100 agents on the phone to him offering players within 1 day of being appointed so I would like to think that after hanging up on him one of the next people they phoned was McCall offering him the same players.

He's made one mistake since becoming our manager (Daley) and one other that might turn out to be a mistake (Lawson) so I think he's done enough over the course to prove he knows a player that would fit into our squad when he sees one.

People gettin their knickers in a twist over nothing.

Because I don't think we would spend the money on taking a player abroad if there wasnt a good chance we will be signing him. A couple of years ago Faddy didnt travel preseason when he was just using training facilities.

For the record I'd take Clarky back as I think he'd knock in double figures with Sutton, Vigurs and Ainsworth around.

Quite possible Clarky would be paying his own way, a busman's holiday in the sun with some of his old mates and the possibility of a contract offer at the end of it probably wouldn't be the worst way he could spend a few hundred quid.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know how often Sutton and Anier started together last season. My gut feeling is that it wasn't that often.

Point is, we seldom started with two out and out strikers. Normally five in midfield or with McFadden as a link man in a 4411. For me, it makes a Shiels type a more likely signing. Could Clarkson do that? Well, I seem to recall him playing winger for Bristol but does he have the footballing intelligence to play the McFadden role? He certainly could fit the bill as a replacement for Anier in those situations when we threw Anier on alongside Sutton. Would be a decent signing but would he start every week and would he be better going somewhere like Hibs where he probably would...

I've not see any highlights of Clarkson's performances in the last 2 years but when he was doing alright at Bristol City, I seem to recall him playing a deeper role.

For me, if he comes in, we still need 1 or 2 out and out attacking options to replace the quality of McFadden and Anier.

Regarding his freebie to Algarve, I think Clarkson has raked in more than enough cash for the club to be entitled to this.

• Like 2

The other thing will be that the booking fort a football club at a training camp will be for up to a certain amount of places, who knows the flight may be something similar. The guy might not be adding much expense at all.

I suppose I'm not with the guys who think we should send our overpaid prima donnas down to the quarry to break rocks for pre season training in prep for a European campaign they earned last season.

• Like 2

Got to agree with Steve there, its better we spend money sending them on a pre season training stint to the sun rather than sending them on a post season thank you piss up to the sun.

As for Clarky, I'm happy to let SMcC decide if he's still good enough to play at SPFL level.