2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

When you don't need to be at your best to beat teams and win games, your level drops. That is why it was a terrible move for guys like him and Law from a development perspective. And, as the old saying goes, if you're not improving then you're going backwards.

You develop by pitting your skills against players at a level as good as, or better than, yourself.

Yep exactly so they reap what they sow which is why I feel that he is just in it for the cash and not interested that much in playing against the top league players and being a team player. He had a lot of promise and I thought he would be a international player but he followed the increase in wages, which can't really be faulted if it was an ordinary job but I can't get over the fact in football the opposite is the way of things. You can improve yourself and get to the top or drop down the ladder for a quick few bucks. Complete lack of any ambition. I want guys who we can sell on, can show some ambition to get to a better level than the SPL and get the club a few quid in return for the exposure.

That's my concern too. If he could recapture some of the form he showed the last time he was in the SPFL, then it would be an ideal signing. However, if it's the opposite, then it's a complete waste of a wage. As a club we're not really in a position to wait and see what one we get.

If there is one club that can re-launch a career it is Motherwell FC.

That is a very simple but effective sales pitch.

Ross McCormack came to Motherwell and is now talked about as a £5m player +

John Ruddy became an international goalkeeper

Darren Randolph became an international goalkeeper

Lukas Jukebox is being talked about as a £1m+ player

Humphrey, Coke, Law, Higdon, Ojamma - all players that have moved on to better wages at least...

A year or 2 with Motherwell and your career could be well and truly back on track.

The flip side is a well documented Paul Slane - last seen living off his parents and having a trial game to see if a team will come in for him.....

• Like 1

If there is one club that can re-launch a career it is Motherwell FC.

That is a very simple but effective sales pitch.

Ross McCormack came to Motherwell and is now talked about as a £5m player +

John Ruddy became an international goalkeeper

Darren Randolph became an international goalkeeper

Lukas Jukebox is being talked about as a £1m+ player

Humphrey, Coke, Law, Higdon, Ojamma - all players that have moved on to better wages at least...

A year or 2 with Motherwell and your career could be well and truly back on track.

The flip side is a well documented Paul Slane - last seen living off his parents and having a trial game to see if a team will come in for him.....

Good points Welldaft, maybe I am being harsh on Shiels but just feel money grabbers are the wrong type of players for us. The guys you mention above were going nowhere and with the right exposure and correct workrate and application along with exposure to the SPL went on to better things. Maybe Shiels if signed would want to prove that he is a decent player but then do we take the chance that his time in the 1st Division has made him a much poorer player.

One thing is sure, we need another attacking option. Right now we have Sutton, Erwin (untested), McHugh (not rated by many) and Ainsworth (a winger). That's putting a lot of pressure on Sutton and Ainsworth to repeat their return from last season. We need to somehow replace Anier and McFadden's goals and assists from last season.

I also heard yesterday that McCall had a centre back in mind to replace Hutchinson. To me, this doesn't seem a priority unless Ramsden is further away from a return than first thought...

:secret: You've heard a lot lately which is a surprise given the inner sanctum have been sworn to secrecy given her that worked her ticket last season leaked a little too much to certain media outlets for the clubs liking... Supported by the fact the club have only announced when each deal has been signed and sealed.

:secret: You've heard a lot lately which is a surprise given the inner sanctum have been sworn to secrecy given her that worked her ticket last season leaked a little too much to certain media outlets for the clubs liking... Supported by the fact the club have only announced when each deal has been signed and sealed.

Not saying these things are definite, just rumours that I've heard from people who're not known to simply make stuff up.

We have been pretty good at keeping our cards close to our chest, transfer wise. But not always down to the club if stories leak out. Agents, players, players' friends, how these things have always leaked out...

Being honest, the centre back story is the one I put most stock in given the lack of detail. When rumours that have been doing the rounds turn out to be true, it tends to be the "heard we're bringing a winger in from down south" vague types of rumour...

Pretty much agree with Welldaft's post, McCall has demonstrated he can reinvigorate a career. Combine that with the feel-good atmosphere that is sustained at FP and finally his links to the inner sanctum of Scotland means for me we can and should be seen as quite an attractive prospect to any player.

I have no fear of the past history anyone we bring in, they will improve in the C&A, that is a fact.

Up until recently I would have welcomed someone like Imrie into our team, now, I take a step back and look at what Motherwell has become in the past few years, I don't think a player like that is good enough. Bet the little shit comes back to haunt me in the derby now.

As for Shiels, he would certainly on paper give us a creative spark we were hoping for from Faddy last season but only got glimpses of.

However, if we could afford him (which I doubt we can) I'd have Goodwillie. I hated him with a passion when he played against us, but that is the sort of player he is and if I hated him it meant he was doing something right. He's nippy and intelligent, exactly what a tall ball winner like Sutton needs as a foil. Is he humble enough to take a step back to take 2 forward though?

One thing is sure, we need another attacking option. Right now we have Sutton, Erwin (untested), McHugh (not rated by many) and Ainsworth (a winger). That's putting a lot of pressure on Sutton and Ainsworth to repeat their return from last season. We need to somehow replace Anier and McFadden's goals and assists from last season.

I also heard yesterday that McCall had a centre back in mind to replace Hutchinson. To me, this doesn't seem a priority unless Ramsden is further away from a return than first thought...

Anything about Cummins and/ or Murray being off ?

I would have hoped Murray would have been retained as he showed he could play full back as well.

Anything about Cummins and/ or Murray being off ?

I would have hoped Murray would have been retained as he showed he could play full back as well.

Assumption was that Cummins was staying but Murray wasn't being offered a new deal. Whether that's simply a reflection on who was out of contract (as it seems to be with the keepers) rather than what McCall thinks of them, that's a question only McCall can answer. Have to figure contract status comes into it when there's not much between players' abilities...

I know I will get my head jumped on for this one but what about Tony Watt on loan as a replacement for Anier?

Just thought I'd put that out there ph34r.gif

Much rather bring in another player we can sell on.

• Like 1

Assumption was that Cummins was staying but Murray wasn't being offered a new deal. Whether that's simply a reflection on who was out of contract (as it seems to be with the keepers) rather than what McCall thinks of them, that's a question only McCall can answer. Have to figure contract status comes into it when there's not much between players' abilities...

Thanks MB.

I was told about 5 weeks ago he had been offered a deal but hadn't heard anything since.

Superward, what game ? Did you speak to him, as I know 1 or 2 of his pals and none of them frequent that establishment and from what they tell me he is usually tucked up the night before a match.

Tony Watt scored against Barca and got too big for his boots. Notoriously lazy and simply not worth the gamble even on loan..

Sheils would be a good signing. Pacey enough to fit the bill, has an eye for goal and tends to find the right ball. Still a wanker though.

Tony Watt scored against Barca and got too big for his boots. Notoriously lazy and simply not worth the gamble even on loan..

Sheils would be a good signing. Pacey enough to fit the bill, has an eye for goal and tends to find the right ball. Still a wanker though.

Delighted you aren't our manager, tbh.

Thanks MB.

I was told about 5 weeks ago he had been offered a deal but hadn't heard anything since.

Superward, what game ? Did you speak to him, as I know 1 or 2 of his pals and none of them frequent that establishment and from what they tell me he is usually tucked up the night before a match.

No I didnt - he was with his mrs so dont like to intrude. Could have been having one before the cinema perhaps. Dont get me wrong he wasnt pished or anything and It was just after I finished work (I also dont really frequent it)

Edit - it was the Ross County home game in March. Only know this as I still have the text I sent my mate about it.