2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Hope not another Ramsden....as good a player as he is - we cannot afford to takes risks with players with injury history. Or maybe that is all we can afford.

he sounds more like another tony thomas.

injured in december 2011, comes back for 11 games in winter 2012 then gets injured again and hasn't played since.

My source is in the hoose watching the Indy ref debate

His wiki page reads like an episode of Casualty. From heart valve surgery when he was 19 to thirteen months absence due to a cruciate ligament injury.

• Like 1

The boy obviously has talent looking at Wiki, but he turned his ankle in pre-season in Austria and is out for 2-3 weeks.

it is one litany of injury after injury. If we are lucky we may get him for a few games. I remember Porter came to us with similar history but was largely injury free. Maybe that is wishful thinking

The lack of movement in transfers is worrying. We have moved on 3 big earners from last season, plus hollis (who has already been replaced) yet we have made 1 addition, whose salary surely cannot be anything like what was on offer to Hutchinson or Anier. In my opinion, we NEED 4 players to have anything like the season we had last time around.

A centre forward is an absolute essential as is a centre half. We have been crying out for someone to play wide left for 18 months (perhaps Thomas is the answer, but with SMc's often spoken about lack of faith in bring through new blood, I doubt it) and have sorely missed the deep lying forward play which Ojamaa gave us (he was also someone who could play as a backup out and out striker when required also).

None of these, to me, are luxury players but are essential, IMO, to the success of the team.The silence of the club in the build up to this season on every front is deafening. We are inspiring no confidence in the support and in turn -I'm sure- very little in the current squad. It is a vicious circle.

We will get a central defender and judging by the posts above - we may have one, albeit one who seems a risk. McCall will also get in a forward in the mould of Anier/Ojamma. Smaller and more mobile.

That will be that. We cannot afford 4 players as much as we would like to see 4. McCall said his player budget would be the same as last year. But things change - especially missing out on another home European game.

We have posted back to back losses despite unprecedented success in the league. We have to cut our cloth however painful it is likely to be.

St Johnstone won a cup - got to another semi and have had at least 2 rounds in Europe. They have not signed anyone and their chairman has said they are not planning too. That is state of Scottish football. Apart from Celtic, Aberdeen and now United - there is little or no money in the game..

• Like 1

We will get a central defender and judging by the posts above - we may have one, albeit one who seems a risk. McCall will also get in a forward in the mould of Anier/Ojamma. Smaller and more mobile.

We have posted back to back losses despite unprecedented success in the league. We have to cut our cloth however painful it is likely to be.

St Johnstone won a cup - got to another semi and have had at least 2 rounds in Europe. They have not signed anyone and their chairman has said they are not planning too. That is state of Scottish football. Apart from Celtic, Aberdeen and now United - there is little or no money in the game..

Good post Iain and a fair summing up of where we are at. Taking those 3 clubs out of the equation, the other clubs in the SPL have roughly the same playing budgets. Ours perhaps a little more, the likes of Ross County perhaps a little less. Those 9 clubs spend their money in different ways. Some choose quantity of over quality other like us choose quality over quantity. Broadly speaking these 9 clubs will be looking at the same player pool. Tom Wright at Perth would be able to give us all a detailed assessment of our signing targets if he so chose. Thats the nature of the game in Scotland.

That will be that. We cannot afford 4 players as much as we would like to see 4. McCall said his player budget would be the same as last year. But things change - especially missing out on another home European game.

I totally understand what you mean.

We need 4 to stay where we are, yet we will get 2 (I am sure you are correct about this) and everyone seems to shrug the shoulders a little.

The point I am trying to make is essentially what has happened at Motherwell over the summer is in many was a direct reflection of Scottish football itself - lacking positivity and coherent vision at all levels.

We seem to be carrying dead weight in our ranks (as is Scottish football), we seem content to talk ourselves down (as does Scottish football press), we seem unable to realise the importance of rising to the big occasion when required (Scottish football does this on and off the park).

What I am trying to get across is that sometimes you have to take a step back and assess what is going on, rather than simply toddling along and ducking punches.

We need to inject some positivity into the fans and the club otherwise nothing will change. To me, we need to streamline majorly. We need an internal audit of business and playing sides of the club, what are we doing right, wrong and what could we do better.

It requires someone with a broad knowledge, vision and acute understand of where we want to be.

We need 4 to stay where we are, yet we will get 2 (I am sure you are correct about this) and everyone seems to shrug the shoulders a little.

The point I am trying to make is essentially what has happened at Motherwell over the summer is in many was a direct reflection of Scottish football itself - lacking positivity and coherent vision at all levels.

We seem to be carrying dead weight in our ranks (as is Scottish football), we seem content to talk ourselves down (as does Scottish football press), we seem unable to realise the importance of rising to the big occasion when required (Scottish football does this on and off the park).

I don't know that we do require 4 players to stay where we are, probably more like 2.

Dan Twardzik for Lee Hollis - no change really.

Josh Law for Faddy? Given Faddy's injury record last season and contribution over the whole season I'd say possibly a gain. Law has to prove himself of course.

Shaun Hutchison & Henri Anier - two players down who will need to be replaced.

Keith Lasley & Steve Hammell are both a year older and slower but the likes of Lee Erwin, Craig Moore (when fit), Jack Leitch, Stuart Carswell and Fraser Kerr are all a year stronger and more experienced.

I agree 100% with your assessment of Scottish football.

I don't know that we do require 4 players to stay where we are, probably more like 2.

Josh Law for Faddy? Given Faddy's injury record last season and contribution over the whole season I'd say possibly a gain. Law has to prove himself of course.

Keith Lasley & Steve Hammell are both a year older and slower but the likes of Lee Erwin, Craig Moore (when fit), Jack Leitch, Stuart Carswell and Fraser Kerr are all a year stronger and more experienced.

I understand what you mean. I certainly agree that we need to bring on youth (although I am not convinced SMc agrees deep down). I think that for many of the names you listed above, they could ready to make the step up. Certainly Carswell, Leitch, Moore, Erwin and Thomas all look like they will add more depth to the squad this season which is great.

My point is that we need those others to fill the gaps. In many ways the squad seems to be splitting (in terms of age). As you say, Hammell, Lasley, McManus, Ramsden? are not exactly spring chickens, then we have names listed above who seem not to be trusted fully by SMc - the guys coming in need to bridge that gap in many ways.

It is my opinion, but I look at Lawson, McHugh and potentially Angol, Kerr and Cummins and ask what are they contributing to the squad. These are guys who are not capable of holding down a first team place in the SPL ( or whatever it´s branded as now) and I ask myself if we are in such dire straits financially, should they be there?

Surely other youth players could take their place?

Give other guys a chance to step-up, free up some wages to bring more players in at the top end whilst freeing up space for others in the youth to shine and potentially thrive when making the step-up to playing top level football.

Just trying to illustrate the point I was making about auditing…

If Angol can't find out his best position this season and nail down a first team place then he needs to go.

He doesn't need to go because every team needs a second string. As second string players go you could do worse than Angol. He actually scored a few goals last season and he can give the team a burst of pace and running. Is he anywhere near the finished article? No. But he does offer something off the bench.

If you say we have something like a 20 man squad and part of that squad are

Gunnar Nielsen

Adam Cummins

Paul Lawson

Bob McHugh

Fraser Kerr

Are you telling me any of those players offer more coming off the bench? If we are clearing out dead wood there are players that need to go before Angol.

As for the lack of signings, world football is a bit like two teams being picked in the playground, when all the good players have been picked and the ones no one wants are left in a little group nervously waiting to be picked that's when we come in. There is still three weeks of transfer window so it might be another three to four weeks before we can bring in someone we are interested in.

• Like 2

:doh: Incredulous! Whilst nobody more than 'the man' himself will be disappointed in his form of last year, I wouldn't discount the influence he had on those around him at other times wether just giving his team mates a raised belief in themselves or improving those learning the trade. Failing to see where a plucked from the obscurity of his right back berth at his fathers' (and close friend of our managers') non-league outfit will likely be a gain in losing our James. Utter, utter folly.

• Like 4

1407324685[/url]' post='418416']

:doh: Incredulous! Whilst nobody more than 'the man' himself will be disappointed in his form of last year, I wouldn't discount the influence he had on those around him at other times wether just giving his team mates a raised belief in themselves or improving those learning the trade. Failing to see where a plucked from the obscurity of his right back berth at his fathers' (and close friend of our managers') non-league outfit will likely be a gain in losing our James. Utter, utter folly.

Give the boy Law a chance, I think he has shown up quite well so far. Even tho it was Faddy you can't have someone on the wage bill just for their influence.the fact Stuart does or doesn't know Law's old man is immaterial, if he's good he's good, if not it's not been a good move

Not at all. Faddy's been a great player for us in the past and been a real ambassador for the club. Most folk would not dispute that. Last season however he only played well in flashes. He played in 27 league games and completed only 5 full 90 minutes. Of those 27 games 6 were for less than 45 minutes. He scored 4 league goals and 1 cup goal (in the CIS Cup). His measurable contribution then was limited and inconsistent. He left by mutual consent and that was the right decision. Would he have been fitter this season - I doubt it.

What of his influence on those around him? How do we know? Certainly in a handful of games he made others play well for spells. But, we don't really know.

Josh Law - you are being unfair on the lad. I'm basing my judgement on very limited game time admittedly but what I have seen of him I was impressed. He also looks fit enough to be able to play a full 90 minutes week in week out.

We can't live in the past and however much we love Faddy it was time for him to move on. In the cold light of day his contribution to the team wasn't enough for him to be retained. That is sad but true.

• Like 2

We can't live in the past and however much we love Faddy it was time for him to move on. In the cold light of day his contribution to the team wasn't enough for him to be retained. That is sad but true.

I had a tear in my eye reading that cray.gif

However Dave is spot on. No room for sentiment as we cannot afford it.

If Faddy agreed to a pay as you play basis I would have him back, but not on a fully paid up contract.

Law will not be as good as Faddy in his prime, but in his 1st and only competitive home game he has scored 2 goals. Not a bad sign..

What of his influence on those around him? How do we know? Certainly in a handful of games he made others play well for spells. But, we don't really know.

We know because we talk to players and read there quotes in the press. They've told us, we know.

Another point

If 'directors' paid Faddy's wage last year, he was a bonus player. We saved nothing on the wage bill when he left so we can't count him as a replaceable. We can't say we lost 4, we get 4 in, unless of course, the 4 we bring in get paid the same amount as 3 who left.

I had a tear in my eye reading that cray.gif

However Dave is spot on. No room for sentiment as we cannot afford it.

If Faddy agreed to a pay as you play basis I would have him back, but not on a fully paid up contract.

Law will not be as good as Faddy in his prime, but in his 1st and only competitive home game he has scored 2 goals. Not a bad sign..

I don't think anyone was saying he will be better than Faddy in his prime but I would bet my house on him being better and more influential (i.e build up play, goals and assists) than Faddy was last season. Sadly.

The way I see it is with our small squad players must either be good enough to challenge the first team or have some sort of potential sell on value, preferably both. ZFA, Mchugh and Cummins don't seem to fit any of the criteria.

Zane has made 55 first team appearances, so someone must think he is good enough to "challenge" for a place there.