Motherwell V Dundee 21/02/15

Yabba's Turd

I'm really hoping Pearo and possibly Hammell are fit for this.

I'd play

Long

Ramsden Laing Kerr Hammell

Johnston Grant Pearson D. Thomas

Erwin Moore

If Hammell isn't fit then Watt who has looked decent at left back. If no Pearson then it would have to be Lasley.

I'd also be tempted to try Ainsworth upfront for the last 30 minutes. It's worth a shot. The spine of McManus, Lasley, Sutton has yeilded nothing so why persist?

I predict Barraclough will play pretty much the same team as v Ross County though.

We could well be bottom of the league by 5pm on Saturday.

Long

Law

Kerr

Laing

Hammell

Lasley

Carswell

Thomas

Grant

Johnson

Sutton

3-1 to us, Grant x2 and a 30 yard Josh Law thunderbolt

I'd go with the back 4 however I think Hammell is still a wee bit off returning. If that is the case, I'd opt for Watt over Straker and maybe Ramsden over Laing.

I'd have Pearson in before Carswell (however I think he may still not be risked). I'd be expecting a display from Las.

I'd bench Johnson and play Dom Thomas. Johnson can replace any of the two wingers or Sutton if required based on what I've read.

Based on Saturday I think there's only 4 players who are guaranteed a start, Long, Kerr, Grant and Sutton. With McManus trading on his experience and CV it's hard for Baraclough to drop him but I would.

Is Pearson a holding midfielder or attacking midfielder? If holding I'd have him in ahead of Carswell!

Probably an all rounder. Could easily replace Lasley or Carswell but not both at the same time...then again. Could also play wide left. Good box to box player.

It will be interesting to see how Baraclough lines up on Saturday. I think this is the first game where he is facing opposition for the second time (not sure if the first RC game should count since he didn't set the tactics for that one). It may be hard to tell if an improved result this time is down to the new players or the manager learning something from the last encounter, but either way it will be a reasonable measure of how far we have/haven't come.

As for lineup, I think that Reid will be dropped to make way for Laing, and with our weakness at the back post I wouldn't be surprised to see Kerr return to Right back (can also see him being in there for set pieces up the other end). I doubt Hammell will be ready, but surely Pearson will be. So I see the likely lineup as:

Long

Kerr Laing McManus Straker

Lasley Grant

N.Thomas Pearson Erwin

Sutton

Personally, I'd have Erwin up front and D.Thomas on the left, but I don't see Sutton getting dropped.

How many recognised right backs do we have? i.e. one who mainly ply's their trade there and would get a game for another team in that position (rather than "can" play there)?

I don't see Kerr getting dropped since he had more chances to score than anyone else against RC, and scored one, and I don't see McManus being dropped due to his "experience". However our defense has been woeful all season and I don't see Laing being left out, so with Reid being the weakest link I think that the way all three will be accommodated would be to have Kerr at RB. Personally I'd have Watt there if that's where he plays for the u20s, or even Ramsden, but based on what I've seen from Baraclough so far, the above is what I think he'll go with.

How many recognised right backs do we have? i.e. one who mainly ply's their trade there and would get a game for another team in that position (rather than "can" play there)?

How many players in our whole squad would get a game in any position elsewhere based on their performances this season?

How many time have you seen him play?

Stevie Hammell isn't the best defender in the world and has cost us a fair few goals.

A fair few goals in his 500+ appearances?

You might also say Stevie Hammell has played in more winning Motherwell teams than just about anyone in our post war history.