2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

we're not getting rid though someone wants Ainsworth.

It's all about the money, money

We need better in, so we need to shift bodies out when we can. Ainsworth is a 28 year old peripatetic winger, a decent offer for him cannot be sneezed at. The longer he stays , the lower the return£££....

we're not getting rid though someone wants Ainsworth.

It's all about the money, money

We need better in, so we need to shift bodies out when we can. Ainsworth is a 28 year old peripatetic winger, a decent offer for him cannot be sneezed at. The longer he stays , the lower the return£££....

This is to both points - He's only started 3 times under McGhee, and he's mentioned freeing up wages a couple of times. We might be getting rid if he's not going to feature in his plans. . If it's Scunthorpe, are they a club in a position to offer a decent fee? Don't know much about them but with lower attendances than us I've got to wonder if they can pay what we all probably think he's worth.

If he does go hopefully I'm wrong and Ainsworth gets the move I think he's earned, and we get a decent fee, however I've got a feeling it's more to do with McGhee wanting rid.

The club needs to sell players to pay back the loan to Les. It makes more sense to sell someone who will command a decent fee than offload another on a free.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's something we'll need to become accustomed (or reaccustomed) to over the next few seasons.

We might be getting rid if he's not going to feature in his plans. . If it's Scunthorpe, are they a club in a position to offer a decent fee? Don't know much about them but with lower attendances than us I've got to wonder if they can pay what we all probably think he's worth.

If he does go hopefully I'm wrong and Ainsworth gets the move I think he's earned, and we get a decent fee, however I've got a feeling it's more to do with McGhee wanting rid.

Scunthorpe's TV cash will be way above what we receive - maybe twice or three times. Maybe someone else at the club wants to move Ainsworth on.

Law's much more of a creative player than Pearson. His biggest issue is that he, not surprisingly, regressed after a few years in the lower divisions. I'd still take a chance on having him back though - we never managed to replace him after he left.

Can't see it happening, though. If he is available, there will be bigger clubs than us wanting him.

Was Ainsworth not the senior after the Morton game that had a ding-dong with the assistant manager? Maybe the reason why he seems to be shunned of late.

His goalscoring for us has been tremendous, and theres always excitement when he gets the ball in the final third. He can still play a huge role for us.

I doubt there's any great conspiracy re: Ainsworth's omission and it's more a fairly simple case that the system we're playing (and have picked up some decent results with) has meant we've sacrificed a winger (Ainsworth) to allow us to play 3 central midfielders. At the moment Johnson's been relatively consistent and the balance of the team seems to be a bit better with the winger being out on the left rather than the right. If sitting one of our better players on the bench and using him from there rather than him starting means we're winning games and picking up points then it's difficult to argue.

There's clearly scope for Ainsworth to step in for Johnson in this shape however I don't think the latter has done much wrong of late to warrant being benched. It'd also mean we'd be switching our attacks down the right rather than the left, though that's the side we had Johnson playing vs St Johnstone.

McGhee said himself in one of his press conferences when he arrived back that his preference would be to play a consistent XI and it looks like, for the moment, he has that. Of the 10 games McGhee's been in charge so far Ainsworth's started 4 and come off the bench in 5 with the game vs Accies at the weekend being the only game he's not had any involvement in seeing as he wasn't in the match day squad.

So far under McGhee we've started with:

433/451 - vs Celtic (h) (L)

442 - vs Kilmarnock (a) (W), ICT (h) (L)

431(w)2 - vs Aberdeen (a) (X)*, Ross County (a) (L)**, Hearts (h) (X), Dundee (h) (W), Celtic (a) (W)***, St Johnstone (h) (W), Accies (h) (X)

Notes:

* Ainsworth on for Lasley 2nd half (53')

** Johnson playing left back with both Hammell and Lasley missing through injury

*** Ainsworth on for Grimshaw 2nd half (45')

Was Ainsworth not the senior after the Morton game that had a ding-dong with the assistant manager? Maybe the reason why he seems to be shunned of late.

He certainly had a right ding dong with Robinson during the East Fife game when the wee man clearly didnt rate the instruction being offered.

However, as above, I doubt thats something that would come into McGhees thinking. He has gone out of his way to give most of the squad a chance to impress since he came in.

Souttar, from what I've read, seems to have been working his ticket at United.

It's difficult to tell given United fans seem to have a tendency to be blaming everyone and anything for their current state (McNamara, Thompson etc) but he seems to have been getting the brunt of it; boo'd when he's on the ball, boo'd when he's coming on to the park etc etc. Essentially he seems to have veered into total CBA territory in terms of his performances on the park, suggestions that he's put on a ton of weight, photos of him on social media cutting about kebab shops etc.

If they're not offering him a contract though what's the deal with his development fee given he's been there for years?

FWIW: the suggestion on United forums is that the contract he originally knocked back from them at the start of the season would have made him joint highest earner at Tannadice.