2015/16 Ins & Outs

Well Up For It!

Regardless of who's done or achieved more, I just think Ross McCormack is more consistently a better and more effective player.

I get (and share) the sentiment that Faddy holds, and have never doubted his ability or what he's capable of. I have 'well tops, an Everton top and Birmingham top all with his name on the back, and have never felt the need to do the same with Ross, however I do just think he's better.

Edit: just pointing out I have never worn any of those tops outside of playing 5's...that would be utterly tragic.

I know this is continuing to take the thread off on a tangent but personally I can't believe that a McFadden / McCormack debate is even happening.

McFadden is the most naturally gifted footballer to come out of Scotland in some time in my opinion while I think McCormack flatters to deceive at times. Throw in the fact that McFadden still clearly cares for the club while McCormack appeared to have chucked it 6 months before his contract ran out and it's a no brainer for me.

All about opinions though!

• Like 1

I know this is continuing to take the thread off on a tangent but personally I can't believe that a McFadden / McCormack debate is even happening.

McFadden is the most naturally gifted footballer to come out of Scotland in some time in my opinion while I think McCormack flatters to deceive at times. Throw in the fact that McFadden still clearly cares for the club while McCormack appeared to have chucked it 6 months before his contract ran out and it's a no brainer for me.

My opinion also. I tried to stay out this debate as my opinion may be clouded by personal experience and dealings with McCormack but I find him an incredibly unlikeable human being whilst Faddy is a class act off the pitch.

Add to this McFadden done more for this club over a longer period and produced better entertainment. He didn't spend his first season 'injured' then come back and feck off at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 3

My opinion also. I tried to stay out this debate as my opinion may be clouded by personal experience and dealings with McCormack but I find him an incredibly unlikeable human being whilst Faddy is a class act off the pitch.

Add to this McFadden done more for this club over a longer period and produced better entertainment. He didn't spend his first season 'injured' then come back and feck off at the earliest opportunity.

My thoughts exactly. From what I remember of McGhee's first season McCormack came back after being injured and for the first six months was excellent though done nothing after christmas that year when he knew he was off, Faddy would definetly get my vote anyway

I'd love to see us sign McFadden so he could prove all the doubters wrong. However I fear the doubters are right regards his ability to influence a game at SPL level.

That being said most people advocating his signature are looking at what he can contribute beyond his playing ability. Experience to pass on, a coaching role if his interests lie there.

If he is up for a coaching role I'd be delighted to see him back at Fir Park,if he happened to be registered as a player as well and unexpectedly had an Indian summerto his playing career that would be superb. If not like to think he still has something to offer and as a club I wouldn't advocate we give what should be a rich person charity but an opportunity to get into coaching and potentially management in the future why not.

• Like 1

Faddy is long past his best. That is obvious. I thought he was absolutely bowfin for the most part when he was with us last and I'm sure Saints fans have the same opinion. All the evidence points towards him being a poor quality, lazy signing.

However, I am not ashamed at all to admit I would love him back at Fir Park in any capacity. Faddy at any other club than ours just doesn't sit well with me.

And it's the fact he didn't make the most of his gifts that was disappointing.

McLair and McAllister went on to win European trophies (as did Lambert). There's more to football than talent alone - that is why Andy Ritchie - one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen - didn't make the big time. McCarthy bosses that Everton team the way Faddy should have done.

That's not a slight on Faddy. These things are complex, especially when you take injuries into account, and he can be a joy to watch. I just feel he had another level in him that went unfulfilled.

• Like 1

And it's the fact he didn't make the most of his gifts that was disappointing.

McLair and McAllister went on to win European trophies (as did Lambert). There's more to football than talent alone - that is why Andy Ritchie - one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen - didn't make the big time. McCarthy bosses that Everton team the way Faddy should have done.

That's not a slight on Faddy. These things are complex, especially when you take injuries into account, and he can be a joy to watch. I just feel he had another level in him that went unfulfilled.

And it went unfulfilled due to injuries, not anything else, he's always had an excellent attitude and has been disciplined even with the injuries, look at some of the players who've spent months out injured and came back a stone heavier, Mcfaddens never been like that.

I don't think Andy Ritchie was ever injured in his life but his attitude stunk, that's why he maintained his 17stone weight throughout his career!!

I think he's worth a punt, he's only just turned 32, I don't think we got Cooper until that age and what a difference he made.....I remember plenty of 'Well fans saying Cooper was done when he signed for us.....As long as he's not breaking the bank wages wise, you just never know!!

And it went unfulfilled due to injuries, not anything else, he's always had an excellent attitude and has been disciplined even with the injuries, look at some of the players who've spent months out injured and came back a stone heavier, Mcfaddens never been like that.

Except it wasn't just injuries. All of his managers at Everton, for example, spoke of how talented he was in one breath and in another breath spoke of how frustrating it was that he couldn't fit into the team. Same comments at international level.

I have watched guys like Stevie Nicol move from Ayr Utd. to Liverpool, Graeme Sharp move from Dumbarton to Everton, Steve Clark move from St. Mirren to Chelsea, Andy Gray move from Dundee Utd to Aston Villa, Pat Nevin move from Clyde to Chelsea, Alan Hansen move from Partick Thistle to Liverpool, Gordon Strachan move from Aberdeen to Manchester Utd., Kenny Dalglish move from Celtic to Liverpool and James McCarthy move to Wigan all with great success. Plus, of course, as I mentioned earlier I watched with pleasure and some pride as McLair, McAllister and Lambert went on to greater things.

Faddy had equal or better gifts, but didn't quite pull it off at the highest level.

That doesn't mean I think he is a failure in any way. I have nothing but admiration and respect for his talent and, more importantly, the way he has conducted himself and his loyalty to our club. In a profession full of ass-hats, I'd happily point any youngster towards him as a role model.

I just think he didn't quite reach the level his talent would allow. Maybe it was his decency that held him back a little, or his joy of playing the way he loves rather than than feeling constrained by tactics. Or maybe he was just born 25 years too late when earlier generations could accommodate mavericks like Charlie George and Rodney Marsh in their ranks.

Regardless, I'm not trying to be hard on him. It was a pleasure to have him at our club. I just feel he had more in him than his record suggests.

• Like 2