Next Gaffer?

Infamous Wee Grafter

The other night on Sportscene he was still giving it "Motherwell had a good 20 mins over the two play-off games and that's what decided it."

Bless.

I thought I'd imagined it. Good that he's moved on from 'three deflected goals' though.

I thought he came over a bitter little orange man the other night on Sportscene.......sounded just like almost every h*n I spoke to after those games.

I felt the comment about Motherwell fans was a bit schnidey, but cest la vie....his time with us is over. Good luck to him driving the team minibus, pumping up the balls and cutting the oranges as 3rd in command with Scotland!!

Surely it depends if he think his stock will rise and it will lead to something more lucrative .... Alex Neil anyone?

There of course will be a glass half empty argument which is if he does take it and it goes south then any association with the club in an employment basis will be potentially be over. A career in a lower coaching role is generally safe regardless of 1st team management changes.

He certainly seemed to be aiming his sights on a media career as his football playing days wound down. To me, some TV work mixed in with coaching the youngsters sounds like a great gig. Guess it depends if he really is looking for a managerial career path now.

Surely it depends if he think his stock will rise and it will lead to something more lucrative .... Alex Neil anyone?

There of course will be a glass half empty argument which is if he does take it and it goes south then any association with the club in an employment basis will be potentially be over. A career in a lower coaching role is generally safe regardless of 1st team management changes.

I can't understand why Craigan would be considered. Many of the fans were unhappy with Baraclough's appointment because of his sketchy management experience. The reality is that Baraclough had considerably more management experience than Craigan currently has and played at a higher level in terms of club football. Was not good enough then so why should even less be good enough now?

• Like 1

I think we should approach Jackie McNamara (i don't know how its spelled) as his recent release by dundee united could fire him up.

If we get him would love to see him given the resources bar was given I know his recent record with united wasn't great but given that the chairman sold all his best players from under him and wanted the results.

But his overall record speaks for itself. An other choice i would really like to see is Terry Butcher (I know its not a popular choice) don't know where he is the now. but he's a good manager and he could work wonders with the resources bar was given.

I acknowledge that he wasn't great last time round but i think he would be good if given another chance.

A left field choice for me would be Darren Young (Albion Rovers boss) got some friends who support them they seem to think he's a good manager. I've seen them play a couple of times going with friends last season and they looked quite solid and well drilled at times for a part time team.

Whoever it is will have my backing for the start anyway then see how he's doing

Those are my three hopeful picks

Given the longest anyone's been in the job since McLean has been around 4 years (give or take) I'd say Craigan would probably be best to bide his time, continue working with the u20s and the N.Ireland set up and go for it when the job comes up next time.

It'd be hugely optimistic to think that whoever the next guy is will see in some sort of epic managerial dynasty. One of two things will happen; 1. he'll do pretty well, last 3 or 4 years and move on to a "bigger" club or will run a natural cycle and decide he can't take the club any further and leave or 2. will have a bit of a nightmare and get binned. Worst case for Craigan he'll be early 40s when the job comes up again.

Either way, it'd give him time to get more experience under his belt than he has at the moment and give him a bit of time to decide whether or not he genuinely wants to go down the managerial path.

• Like 1

An other choice i would really like to see is Terry Butcher (I know its not a popular choice) don't know where he is the now. but he's a good manager and he could work wonders with the resources bar was given.

Butcher is currently the manager at Newport County.

I can't understand why Craigan would be considered. Many of the fans were unhappy with Baraclough's appointment because of his sketchy management experience. The reality is that Baraclough had considerably more management experience than Craigan currently has and played at a higher level in terms of club football. Was not good enough then so why should even less be good enough now?

Wasn't Baraclough's sketchy management experience I was unhappy with. It was results and performances.

Let's be honest about this, a club that is struggling to get just over 3,000 supporters through the gates on a Saturday is not going to be appointing a manager with a great and unsullied record. Therefore Craigan is a genuine contender. He knows the league and the club and that's a big advantage over someone coming in from outside. I also think he has the leadership qualities. And perhaps outside Fir Park he's not a big name but inside he's a club legend and would have the respect of the players.

There are things I don't know about Craigan that I would want to know before I appointed him manager but I'd say he's a genuine contender, if he wants the job, and will be on the list when 65+ of the 75 have been cast off.