Motherwell V Ross County Sat 23 Jan 15:00

Yabba's Turd

The first hour we played well and apart from one fuck up from a corner were the better side. Cadden did well, looks like an athlete and improved as the game went on.

Left when Chalmers came on but heard he had a nightmare. We're in a relegation battle and the priority has to be the defence, any spare cash has to go on a deecent right back this window.

Surely with Stevie injured again left back is more of a priority?
  • Like 1

Thought we deserved a point today but we have gaps in quality all over the pitch that never seem to not be exploited. I thought Ross County were rotten, but are so rotten they are now 4th!!

Disappointing that our heads clearly went down when they scored there 2nd. There was still 20 minutes left at that point and when we did get a goal back it was just two late.

Really hope Hammell is ok as Chalmers just will not do.

So game 1 of 5 down in the "must not lose" run and we lost it. 7 - 9 points is still the extremely realistic target I think we should be aiming for and anything less than that and we are once again truly in the more.

We're still in massive trouble and today was a massive missed opportunity to take even a draw at home against one of our peers.

Poor stuff.

It was not poor stuff. Typical negative crap from yourself. It was unfortunate.

We were marginally the better team yet lost. Sh1t happens, but I felt we played well in quite a few spells and but for rub of the green would have the point which we would have deserved. Case in point their defender heading over from a yard out when he knew nothing about it.

Of course we conceded from a corner and from their 1st feckin effort. That happens too to much for Motherwell.

Cadden proved why McGhee got it so wrong last week. He played very well all things considered.

I would rather we lost today than v Caley in the cup, so hopefully we get better luck in that game.

this is heading just like last season with us scratching about too try and cover for when hammell is out injured,even if hammell is going too be out injured for a short time the we badly need a replacement as chalmers just isn't up too the job.

It was not poor stuff. Typical negative crap from yourself. It was unfortunate.

We were marginally the better team yet lost. Sh1t happens, but I felt we played well in quite a few spells and but for rub of the green would have the point which we would have deserved. Case in point their defender heading over from a yard out when he knew nothing about it.

Of course we conceded from a corner and from their 1st feckin effort. That happens too to much for Motherwell.

Cadden proved why McGhee got it so wrong last week. He played very well all things considered.

I would rather we lost today than v Caley in the cup, so hopefully we get better luck in that game.

Where's the negativity in my post? It's an honest brief assessment of todays game.

Would you not agree that's it's poor stuff that we are continually suspect at set pieces and concede poor goals? That stuff happens to motherwell because we continually recruit poorly and are then forced to make do.

What about not being able to even pick up a point at home against teams considered to be our peers whilst matching them in most areas?

It's because of these faults that we are in the shit and will most likely continue to be in the shit.

Just listened to the post-match and that cleared up the question about why Kennedy hasn't be in favour. Seems like he hasn't been living up to McGhee's expectations - although McGhee said he met them this week.

That was quite a frank admission I thought!

McGhee also said he had no idea what was up with Hammell, hadn't checked up on him or why he even cam off. I'm calling bullshit on that. I reckon Hammell is fucked.

• Like 1

On today's evidence Kennedy is not a right back. Steve Hammell had a poor game riddled with bad decision making. Felt sorry for Louis Moult - he worked his socks off but had little service and he missed Pearo's support. Cadden is a strange one. He seems to be a box to box attacking midfielder in the Pearo mould but the problem was that Pearo was also playingthough through necessity in an unfamiliar holding role. Cadden showed pomise but he needs the right midfield set up around him. For next Saturday surely Louis Laing should start in a defensive holding role to allow Pearo to revert to his normal role. Full backs remain a problem. Not convinced of Chalmers at all. We were the better footballing side today but credit to County they were the better overall side. Not great to watch but they are very efficient, hard working, and streetwise. A bit like St Johnstone and ICT. Incidentally, I counted 2 handballs today not unlike Keith Lasley's recent penalty against Accies and neither foul was given.

Poor result, whatever the performance meritted. We now find ourselves back in the relegation mix. No need to panic as at least we are not on our own but I reckon we do need to improve the quality of the squad to give ourselves the best chance of getting out of this. It is a glaring sign of previous mismanagement that an injury to an aging left back has such a negative effect on our perceived prospects. If you are going to operate with a small squad, it needs to be both versatile and adaptable. Our squad is probably larger than we would ideally like and yet it is neither.

Yes the squad is unbalanced and you're right. Its also criminal that we have never replaced Steve Jennings with another combative defensive midfielder and that is currently costing us big time. We also have a number of right backs but none are up tomuch. A

s far as Steve Hammell is concerned he was signalling to the bench he was in discomfort but it wasn't clear to us what his problem was. He didn't appear to be injured.

Disappointing result, I really thought we'd get something today. Didn't listen to the game so can't really comment too much about it, but wanted to say McGhee's interviews where he gives a little insight into certain things (basically saying Kennedy not training hard enough today) are really interesting at times.

We need to get a couple of players who can operate left and right back and can do a job in midfield if required. We are in another relegation battle and whoever finishes 2nd bottom this time will get humped by a resurgent Hibs team chomping at the bit. What happens between now and the window closing could have a huge impact on our fate. We cant once again like last season keep relying on teams like Accies and Killie getting gubbed. Tin hats on again. :ph34r:

Cutting through all the sentimental crap

Kennedy was the better of the two full backs that started for Motherwell and sub Chalmers wasn't the only left back that couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and repeatedly got caught out of position.

Lasley and Pearson....last 5 minutes excepted.....left it to a guy drafted in from the U20s to try and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drive the team forward. Shameful. Yes, Cadden lost his man for the first goal, but don't ignore whose careless pass gave the ball away to set up the County attack which led to the corner.

In the second half County looked like scoring every time they attacked. Until Pearson scored, their Goalkeeper really only had one save to make (Moult's header). Without several Ripley's saves, our goal would not have given us an outside chance of scraping a draw.

The overall performance was flat and only McDonald of the senior players tried to gee things up. Too many players seemed to accept early in the second half that it was game over.

If Plan A doesn't work anymore because Johnson is knackered or our opponents have us sussed, we need a Plan B.

• Like 1

Kennedy was the better of the two full backs that started for Motherwell and sub Chalmers wasn't the only left back that couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and repeatedly got caught out of position.

Lasley and Pearson....last 5 minutes excepted.....left it to a guy drafted in from the U20s to try and grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drive the team forward. Shameful. Yes, Cadden lost his man for the first goal, but don't ignore whose careless pass gave the ball away to set up the County attack which led to the corner.

In the second half County looked like scoring every time they attacked. Until Pearson scored, their Goalkeeper really only had one save to make (Moult's header). Without several Ripley's saves, our goal would not have given us an outside chance of scraping a draw.

The overall performance was flat and only McDonald of the senior players tried to gee things up. Too many players seemed to accept early in the second half that it was game over.

If Plan A doesn't work anymore because Johnson is knackered or our opponents have us sussed, we need a Plan B.

Did you leave early... Fox turned Lasley pilled driver over the bar and plucked Faddy chip out the net ????

Absolutely. Both Johnson and Ainsworth are speed merchants suited to an open game. If the opposition score and elect to sit back and soak up our attacks they become less effective. What is then required is guile and trickery which neither possess. After a shaky start, County were able to double up on Johnson as we seemed unable to serve him with the early ball that he needs. Not the first time this has happened.

Pish dont think you were watching the same game as me, county were feckin dreadful punt the ball long and chase, Ripley never had to make a difficult save, every one was comfortable. They only looked dangerous at set pieces and then our crap defending helped them. A draw would have been a fair result.

t you'll

Did you leave early... Fox turned Lasley pilled driver over the bar and plucked Faddy chip out the net ????

No, stayed to the end as usual. Think if you reread my post you'll see I said their keeper had only one save to make BEFORE Pearson scored. I might be wrong but I thought the saves you mention were after our goal. Suppose my point is that I expect our players to show some fight and passion throughout the whole match and not just the last five minutes. On that score, County were miles ahead.

Just remembered the Cadden shot Fox shuffled round the post first half. That makes two fairly comfortable saves in 85 minutes.

Surprised at a few comments here. I thought the team dug deep today, we just lacked that killer instinct. Kennedy was decent considering he's rarely played and for Cadden to slot in to a senior game in the way he did has got to be exciting for the fans when we are busy lamenting the lack of players coming through the u20's.

We are passing the ball and controlling the ball in a way that was unimaginable a few months ago. If McGhee gets the personnel he needs then we will be safe.

• Like 2

I thought that was one frustrating football match. I thought we were better than them between the boxes but we were rotten at the back, especially defending corners. Our final ball was (with some exceptions) poor, granted it did improve when Ainsworth came on and when we did fashion chances our shooting was also found wanting. Throw in that we seemed to down tools between their second and our goal and spent what seemed like 10-15 minutes accepting our fate. Not many teams come here and give up when they are 2-0 down, you can bet your bottom dollar we'd all have brown trousers.

All that said some of our play was very good. Cadden and Johnson I thought were on the whole good. Johnson had a frustrating afternoon with his final ball but he was pivotal to a lot of the game being played in their final third. Other than his bullet shot I can't remember much than Lasley did but considering the difference with him against without him it shows how important he is to us.

Sadly losing Hammell to injury cost us the game as the first thing Chalmers did was misread a ball and let them waltz through us. That said I imagine it isn't that easy to come on and play full back and will take a minute or two to get up to the pace of the game whereas if your Ainsworth you go on and run like hell at someone.

I think we did bring on a lot of our problems ourselves but I also don't think we caught a break of the ball very much. Everything that bounced about seemed to land at their feet or out for a goal kick.

Finally a big well played to Willie Collum for dealing with the timewasting at the end effectively. Added on time, booked one and although the guy was hurt he got the physio on as soon as their player went down to act as a deterrent for anyone else doing it so they knew if they arsed about they were going off for a few seconds. The less said about his cushioned pass the better though.

• Like 1

I'm in my mid 30's and that 'plan B' patter has gone on as long as I remember. It's a turgid jobby.

Those at the panic stations, step away. We're a couple of players off of being a decent side. Genuinely thought we were the better team today bar some bad finishing/luck. We'll be ok.

• Like 1

Ross County have took 7 of 9 points from us; get the measure? Our TEAM is below average.

A few nicely timed results (December) does not make up for the season long struggles: lack of goals; unable to hold/boss the midfield; and, cant keep clean sheets.

Clear more of the dead wood, try harder to grind out results (Utd, Accies, Killie, Thistle all worse) and build up (not put down) our players who will be next year and accept that there will be more mistakes and defeats on the way.

Hammell has had one too many injuries, need to support Chalmers until there is a better option.

Does McGhee actually have any contacts for brining in players? Talks a good game without producing; at least Gannon and Baraclough took a punt.