Motherwell V Partick Thistle Sat 27 Feb 15:00

Yabba's Turd

"Fail to win here and the dream of mid-table obscurity is very unlikely."

As Homer would say, "Dream of mid-table obscurity, mmmmmmmmm......"

If only.

Since Partick have four games in hand because they play on a cowp, they at worst could have a four point or so advantage on us by the time they catch up with their games. Therefore, I think the Tattie-Howkers and Panathonaccies are our main rivals for the play-off spot and that's presuming there is no continued improvement by Dundee Utd.

I also remember John Sutton saying when he got relegated with Dundee that they had a twelve point cushion (?) on the bottom club at the split but still managed to go down.

It's not much fun walking up Edward Street with that vague feeling of dread on a Saturday but I suspect it's going to be a long three months for us all.

May The Force be with us.

• Like 1

I think thoughts of Top 6 need to be put to bed. Our main focus should be getting enough points to stay safe. 9th or 10th will be absolutely fine for me this season.

Yes, thats how things are shaping up. We're at the stage now where performance doesn't matter so long as we can grind out results. We could also do with a bit of good luck - we must have quite a bit accumulated in the bank. One issue we do need to address is the now traditional second half slump. Worryingly too, a win may not be good enough in itself; it may have to be a convincing win, as the league is very tight.

Tactics? Surely we'll revert to an old fashioned 4-4-2. Ripley and Moult would be the first names on my team sheet - after that? :banghead:

We're at the stage now where performance doesn't matter so long as we can grind out results.

That's the the problem though, we can't grind out results! We can't see out games and by the time it gets to the last 5 minutes everyone in the team and stands will be getting very nervous at what's went before.

Need to win. Got to win. Really have to take 7 points from the next 3 games v Thistle, Accies and Utd.

Prediction? 2-1 Thistle with the winner coming in the 91st minute.

There was nothing in it at Firhill except a cruel deflection. I think we will edge this with home advantage and a decent playing surface.

If we go in to the last 10 mins level we must keep things simple, close down every man and not give away silly free kicks or corners. We also have to possibly bite the bullet and not be pushing for a winning goal...not be overly defensive though at the same time....the stands around fir park won't like it but we have to stop these goals.

Unfortunately we'll now be tagged as a team who don't play the full 90 minutes. Teams will push on in the latter stages knowing we're likely to fuck it up.

Every team in the league have sussed that by now and will be instructed to get the ball into our half in the dying minutes.

We have had so many chances recently to put a bit of a gap between ourselves and Killie, Accies and Partick sides that are just as poor as us this season.

Surely by the law of averages we're due to finally win one of these games. Hopefully the boo boys don't abuse every bad ball this home game it does no one any good.

2-1 Motherwell

• Like 1

We're in a rut, that is proving difficult to get out of. Despite the 3-0 win at Tannadice, we could consider ourselves fortunate to have come away with such a handsome margin of victory. Against St Johnstone we were abysmal in the second half, a frightening lack of quality all over the park.

At this stage, Partick will fancy their chances of turning us over for the second time in a month and if I'm honest, I can see them doing just that.

A huge performance is needed from Motherwell to get our season back on track after a crushingly disappointing month and a half.

Thistle doing the business tonight against St.Johnstone, not the best result for us going into the weekend game.

Certainly wasn't, but these things can often have no bearing so hard to say. What really matters is that despite Thistle probably having a smaller wage bill and less "name" players, they seem to have a more cohesive and effective unit. The result tonight also highlights just how bad we are as St Johnstones solitary win in 10 games came against us.

I think it's safe to say Thistle are safe. 2 points ahead of us with 3 games in hand? Play off is between us, Killie and Accies I think.