Motherwell V Partick Thistle Sat 27 Feb 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Took a while to get Moult, Johnson and Cadden involved in the game but when we did we looked miles the better team. Once they were in about the game though we looked the better team and I don't think anyone would begrudge us the three points. Pass by McDonald for the second was top drawer and as well as the brilliant run and finish from Johnson for the third MOult dragged the defenders to him to give him the room.

I wasn't sure whether the ball swerved or took a funny bounce in front of Ripley but it was as clear as day he had it covered and it suddenly spun to the side of him. Shit happens but at least it only cost us a goal in the Conceded column rather than any points.

We did get a bit deep for five minutes at 3-1 but someone took charge and forced us up the field a bit and the last ten minutes passed without much concern.

Very pleasing three points today. It's nice to walk out of Fir Park with that winning feeling again.

I see there was no protest about the penalty. I was at the other end of the ground from where it was. Certainly looked to me as if it was one where Lasley "won" the penalty. Or was it simply a stonewaller?

McDonald's play in the lead up to the second goal was fantastic, topped off with a great ball through to Moult. Well done to Johnson too for his run and finish for the third. I've been critical of him lately, but that's the kind of play you want to see from him.

Poor from Ripley for the Thistle goal, but it thankfully had no impact on the end result.

Credit due to Louis Laing today. I thought he was excellent overall.

Now here's hoping we can do something about our awful record at NDP next week...

Best performance from Skippy in a long while. Playing up front with Johnston and Moult to support him helped enormously. I also though shifting Johnston in from the left worked. He's been far too predictable as a winger.

Still felt my bum squeaking 2 goals up with 5 minutes to go.

• Like 1

Best performance from Skippy in a long while. Playing up front with Johnston and Moult to support him helped enormously. I also though shifting Johnston in from the left worked. He's been far too predictable as a winger.

Still felt my bum squeaking 2 goals up with 5 minutes to go.

Echo that - skippy was brilliant today. His set up for the 2nd was class.

Was surprised at how poor Thistle were, pleasantly so.

Would have liked a clean sheet, but that was more like it. We seem a capable team when we want to be and perhaps the opposition allow us to be.

I have been suitably impressed by Cadden and Hall. Both youngsters but performing ably in the 1st team and certainly not looking out of place.

Moult. 2 goals and worked his wee Arsenal off as usual. 15 goals. After a mini slump he is back with a vengeance.

And WHAT - no late goal by us.....

Awful first half, much better second, we could have won by 4 or 5 in the end. The thistle goal slightly took the shining off a great win. Felt the keeper should have done a lot better yet again.

Good performance from young cadden who really looks the part. Moult continues to be the man. Is that 17 now for the season? That's amazing for a guy in such a poor side.

If we play like we did in the second half against any team in the bottom six, we should pick up enough points to make us safe.

Good performance from young cadden who really looks the part. Moult continues to be the man. Is that 17 now for the season? That's amazing for a guy in such a poor side.

Two players there that have come in and done the business. Moult is a striker who works hard and also manages to score his share of goals. Cadden ticks all the boxes. Looks like an athlete, but also good technically, and has good energy.

Add in Ben Hall, and part of me thinks "Just survive relegation, having developed two of our young players and one we signed, maybe sell one to balance the books and there's a good base to start from". Particularly if Laing can develop into a decent right back, and Johnson can find some consistency.

For me, Cadden, Moult and Hall are the real bright spots this season...

• Like 1

Some thoughts:

1. Thistle were awful.

2. I loved Laing's mad breenges up the right: if he doesn't know what he's going to do, how are the opposition going to?

3. Great pass from Skippy for the second.

4. Moult also excellent.

5. Sounds like Ripley can be absolved of blame for their goal.

6. I thought Pearson was poor and missed quite a few tackles. Is he carrying an injury? Or is he done?

7. Cadden and Hall are making progress. The former is showing more confidence and tricks on the ball.

I'm sure alert readers will have noticed I predicted the 3-1 score line and the Moult double. Accordingly, I am going to open a PayPal account (details to follow) for you all to send me your pounds for Tuesday's Euromillions draw.

Two scouts "from the Leeds area" sat down beside me in the POD with their note pads and laptop and quizzed me about Moult: seemed to have done their HW on him but were surprised at Bournemouth's supposed interest in Marvellous Marvin.

Favourite quote: "We've heard about Motherwell down south but Partick Thistle?"

Quite.

Onwards to Panathonaccies and their plastic cowp.

• Like 1

1st half was fucking shite

The penalty was a stone Waller

Cadden, Moult and McDonald played well

Louis Laing looked far more comfortable at right back than he did up at Perth

Great 3 points....but why no subs...fuck you McGhee ya wanker

Why no subs? Simple, no time added on for substitutions at the end no? Trust him, he knows best!

• Like 1

Great 3 points....but why no subs...fuck you McGhee ya wanker

Maybe he felt the team were working well together and although a few were tiring, didn't want to upset the balance by bringing on someone who would take some time to get up to speed?

Some guy in the cooper was going ballistic shouting at McGhee to make subs. Who do you think should have been brought on? I really don't see what the big deal is?

• Like 1

Some guy in the cooper was going ballistic shouting at McGhee to make subs. Who do you think should have been brought on? I really don't see what the big deal is?

Probably disappointed that we were winning and he had nothing else to complain about.

Thought Louis Laing was a bit 'clunky' at right back today, better than Gary Miller though who had a shocker. In any case I think right back is one area where we should be shopping for come next season.

Ben Hall has done well for me, Cadden is a bit rough round the edges (he reminds me a bit of Darren Smith) but I think it's definitely worth giving him game time to see how he progresses.

• Like 1

A welcome and deserved three points. The better team for the most part I felt and our three goals, or at least the build up to the penalty award if you're being picky, had a good bit of quality about them.

I thought the game was going nowhere fast until we got in front. We'd had a decent bit of success down the right with Johnson and Cadden both wriggling along the touchline and putting in very inviting crosses that went abegging but Johnson's shot aside it was pretty turgid stuff.

A fine bit of interplay involving some of the more maligned senior players of late to get to the point where Lasley was clipped. Excellent penalty from Moult against a keeper who I think has saved a couple of Motherwell penalties in his time.

There was little in the way of a response from Thistle and we continued to take the game to them in the second half. The second goal again was very easy on the eye and really well worked from Cadden's quick throw in to Moult's cracking finish. The third again another fine finish.

Had one of those chances gone in from the double save Cerny made who knows how it might have ended up as Thistle were offering absolutely nothing and we were totally in control.

As ever Motherwell being Motherwell we had to make a little more difficult than it needed to be and the tension in the air was very evident when they got a goal back.

Still we saw it out pretty comfortably and have to be very happy with our return and afternoon's work.

Again it is but just three points but it puts us in a good frame of mind for going to Hamilton next weekend.

Completely tongue in cheek from me gentlemen....folk around me screaming the usual when it went 3-1.

Heard similar around me. With 10 minutes to go, there was a "How kin you no see it McGhee when we kin? Get a sub oan"

I'm still not sure what this guy believes he, and others, saw. Even after the goal we were comfortable throughout. Not a failure in the team today.

Plus, we saved money in appearance fees by not playing subs. Every penny and all that...

In my opinion re the subs, we were looking a bit leggy in midfield for last ten mins and skippy and moult ran themselves into ground. I said to folk with me some fresh legs could be good here, however I had no idea looking at the bench who to take off and who to replace without upsetting the shape and pace and tempo of how we were seeing the game out so think McGhee was spot on not to change anything

Credit where it's due

First and foremost absolutely delighted with the 3 points and the performance wasn't too bad either. So, credit is due to the players and Mark McGhee. A physically powerful Thistle side posed a difficult challenge for us but we triumphed. In the first half they defended very well and made it hard for us. Despite having loads of pressure we didn't trouble the annoying Cerny. The penalty, which was a stonewaller, changed the game. As often happens the first goal is very important. At half time a 2 or 3 goal lead would not have been unjust but we lacked a killer touch. The second goal really changed the game and forced Thistle to play a more open game which led to our third. Two well worked second half goals. For the last 20 minutes Thistle had us under the cosh as we sat back and although they flattered to deceive up front it was no surprise to me when they scored. Booth had all the time and space in the world to fire in his shot, which either took a deflection or swerved viciously. I don't blame Ripley for that but rather our midfielders who were posted absent again. How many goals do we lose like that? The last 20 minutes or so were very uncomfortable and cried out for substitutions but as others have said who would we have brought on? I thought Lasley and Pearson had decent games, especially the former, but they disappeared in the last quarter of the game when we needed them most. credit to young Cadden though. He had a decent game throughout and was the one who stuck his chin out and had a real go at the Thistle attackers when others around him were unable or unwilling to do that.

In the latter stages we were very exposed on our left flank and Stevie Hammell had a poor closing quarter, although he had no support in front of him it has to be said.

Plenty of positives though. Moult and MacDonald were exceptional against 2 leviathans and covered miles over the 93 minutes. Johnson too had one of his better games. Chris Cadden is coming on by leaps and bounds and, although a bit raw defensively, has a great engine on him and kept going to the end despite being exhausted. A fixture in the side now I'd say for his running. Louis Laing had a great game at right back and Mark McGhee is being proven right in that there's more to this lad's game than we thought at first. He was the better of our 2 full backs today, putting in a solid defensive display and proving he can produce some dangerous charges and runs reminiscent of a buffalo on steroids. Both centre backs too had solid games and stood firm in the closing stages.

All in all a good day at the office. These late season basement games are rarely footballing classics but today wasn't the worst I've seen. If we can reproduce this form in remaining games we'll be ok but we do need to remain competitive in the last 15/20 minutes of games. Perhaps some of us are being too hard on the senior pros like Lasley, Hammell and Pearson - they do try their best but just no longer have the legs. To end on a positive note though, Cadden gave me some hope with his never say die display and boundless energy.

• Like 1