2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

I'd love to keep Cadden for the forseeable but unfortunately we need to sell our assets. We don't have the biggest window to big him up for a sale in all honesty, He has the same length of contract as Johnson, so realistically January or the summer will be when he is at his optimum value. When he signed his new deal, as happy as I was, I thought a two year deal was a bit light. I'm in no doubt we tried to get him on three years, but his agent probably advised him not to agree to that.

I'd love to keep Cadden for the forseeable but unfortunately we need to sell our assets. We don't have the biggest window to big him up for a sale in all honesty, He has the same length of contract as Johnson, so realistically January or the summer will be when he is at his optimum value. When he signed his new deal, as happy as I was, I thought a two year deal was a bit light. I'm in no doubt we tried to get him on three years, but his agent probably advised him not to agree to that.

With Cadden you'd think that with the fact that he'll still be under 23 at the end of that contract then the development contribution essentially guarantees a minimum value. Even if that contract does expire then much like say, Slater where the development fee was rumoured to have put off a few Scottish teams and unlike Johnson where Oxford were able to piss about with low opening offers it's not as if he could just walk away for nothing.

Cuts both ways I suppose since where in Johnson's case the club were able to quote a valuation and work to an agreeable and arguably more realistic amount, in this case there would be a definite guaranteed value and any buyer would know they could hold off and that's the amount they'd be obliged to pay but when you look at the amount of work the club, McGhee et al had to put in to talking up Johnson to eventually get what they did vs what the club were paid for someone like Erwin then it's quite a stark contrast.

In a sense, and I haven't really thought this through so I'll happily stand corrected, is there not an argument that Cadden's value increases purely based on the length of time he stays at the club and is playing games for now up until the season he turns 23 regardless of the length of his contract? Unlike an over 23 player such as Johnson.

Having said that I've no wish to see Cadden end up at Colchester or the like and see him move out of contract. Clearly the club would be wanting to get a significant fee and he genuinely seems to have the potential to be a far better player than Johnson in but at worst there would be a baseline value particularly if he's able to start making appearances at u21 level. Am I right in thinking that elements such as international recognition and first team appearances factor in to the final compensation fee along with length of time at the club, and category of the buyer?

Difference is that Cadden comes from a football family with a solid grounding and a father that seems to advise his boys well. It is not as if they are on the fringes of our team, thinking they are the next Kenny Dalglish and behaving like Paul Slane.

I fully expect Chris Cadden to be here for his development until he feels ready for a big move and I'm sure it will be a large offer from a Championship club.

So many young Scottish players have gone to England and disappeared into obscurity. Fraser Fyvie, Scott Allan and Andrew Sinnue being three midfielders that spring to mind, all now playing at a level lower than us.

If Cadden was a Celtic player, he may well have featured in senior Scotland Squad by now.

• Like 1

Walter Carlyle indeed? Its years since I've heard his name mentioned. I seem to recall he was so uncoordinated that he didn't know what he was going to do next....neither did we or the opposition!

You've got a better memory than me 'cos you remembered how he spelt his name. Yes, he was completely unpredictable: the original "Open the gates and let him go" type. As a nine year old I found him quite exciting, though.

is there not an argument that Cadden's value increases purely based on the length of time he stays at the club and is playing games for now up until the season he turns 23 regardless of the length of his contract?

I think thats correct. Is it not also true that a significant part of a young player's valuation is dependent on his salary? I think this is where Dundee United and Hibs really benefit as they put their brightest prospects on pretty high wages.

I think thats correct. Is it not also true that a significant part of a young player's valuation is dependent on his salary? I think this is where Dundee United and Hibs really benefit as they put their brightest prospects on pretty high wages.

From memory on the Lee Erwin conversation when going to Leeds, I think it's something like 50/60k per year of training from the age of 12 up to 23.

Not sure salary comes into it though. Could be wrong.

From memory on the Lee Erwin conversation when going to Leeds, I think it's something like 50/60k per year of training from the age of 12 up to 23.

Not sure salary comes into it though. Could be wrong.

Is it not something like in order to protect your right to compensation the contract offer has to be at least equal to the prior deal (or along those lines)?

Edit: The rules on compensation are in Section F here if it's of any interest: here: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat4august2016_1471856539.pdf

The wage seems to relate to a guideline in determining a fee at tribunal.

Is it not something like in order to protect your right to compensation the contract offer has to be at least equal to the prior deal (or along those lines)?

Edit: The rules on compensation are in Section F here if it's of any interest: here: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat4august2016_1471856539.pdf

The wage seems to relate to a guideline in determining a fee at tribunal.

Aye its not clear really on a quick read. Mentions a tribunal related to the wage thing. But also development compo in the section below.

Anyway...he is still here. Haha. Hopefully gets on in the u21s tonight.

Exactly!! Gave 100% !! sometime brilliant other times not so much but still a favourite with the fans.

I remember George coming back to Fir Park to play for Queen of the South and he got a great welcome when he took his place in front of the old enclosure. He was a real cult hero very fast but the crowd and probably himself did not know what he was going to do next.

Poor bustard doesn't realise he only has one game to convince some he'll be a player (maybe two appearances if he comes on as a sub)

That long? I give it til after he walks out to warm up before he's dubbed a new Messiah or a worthless dud by some on here. Or even after training ground rumours lol

I'm always curious as to how ex players are doing.

I'm always interested to hear what our recent ex players are up to, I'm sure others don't mind reading it either.

Same here, I have always had a passing interest in how ex-players are getting on. Even Casagolda! :ph34r: According to Wiki he banged in 41 goals in 59 appearances for Belgium 3rd division side Dender. This goal machine performance has earned him a move to the Belgium 2nd division side Oud-Heverlee Leuven in 2016.

They dont play for us anymore so why do you think anybody gives a feck what they do.

I'm with you Allan. They've moved on and are history so far as MFC is concerned. My only interest is if there is some clause relating to add on payments to the benefit of our club.