Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

The US commentators are comedy gold, but the two celebs running Wrexham can't be faulted for selling the brand to the gullible Americans, disappointed Grimmy never scored.

Not sure why you think American football fans are gullible. There are 5 or 6 live EPL games shown every weekend, plus all midweek games shown live, plus 5 or 6 Championship games, plus the League Cup, plus the FA Cup, plus a ton of Champions League etc. etc.

Anyone with a passing interest in the game knows who Wrexham are and where they stack up in the English pyramid thanks to the blanket coverage of the English game over the past 10 years or so.

That tourney is the US equivalent of the old "Soccer Sixes" except a bit more lucrative. As well as the domestic teams, Wolves, Hapoel Tel Aviv, West Ham and Borussia Dortmund are also competing.

The main difference is that it's $1 million to the winner and $0 to everyone else.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Anyone with a passing interest in the game knows who Wrexham are and where they stack up in the English pyramid thanks to the blanket coverage of the English game over the past 10 years or so.

Would anyone in the US, bother, care, take any interest etc in Wrexham if they had been promoted to league 2 in England but not been owned by two Hollywood celebs, indulging themselves playing real life Fifa 23 or whatever its called theses days I think not.

I take your point about the European, English premiership, cup games etc but not when it comes to Wrexham. But if team continues to improve and more promotions come fair play to them let's hope Hollywood does not get bored with them.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 12:58 AM, weeyin said:

Still don't get it.

Since his first season with us, Mains' league goal tally is 5, 3, 4, 2, 2, 2, 7.  Less in 7 seasons than KVV scored this past season.

His jobs not to be KVV though. He is more Ryan Bowman or Obika. Our problem was that Robbo thought he was Louis Moult!

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

That's certainly how it turned out, but I think ourselves, Aberdeen and even St Mirren were looking for a better goal return from him.

Oh undoubtedly.  Those numbers are not great. Even for a would be battering ram. Id expect my attacking midfielders to be returning better on the whole.

5 hours ago, Coatsy said:

i would take him there is a player there

He's not going to sign for a manager who only gave him a chance when he was losing and desperate for a goal.

He should go to the Scottish Championship for a season and get some games under his belt.

20 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

That's McKinstry released by Leeds now. Thought they might have used him at championship level.

We seem to have this love in for McKinstry and i suspect a lot of people think he is better than he actually is, if he never got any game time under SK last season I can't see him changing that this year so for me our limited funds could be better spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

We seem to have this love in for McKinstry and i suspect a lot of people think he is better than he actually is, if he never got any game time under SK last season I can't see him changing that this year so for me our limited funds could be better spent elsewhere.

Was arguably one of our better players under Hammell never got a chance with the kettle

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Was arguably one of our better players under Hammell never got a chance with the kettle

He's a very capable player and like you say one of the first picks on the team sheet under Hammell. Just don't believe our set up works for him/us.  

Wish the lad all the best, born and bread and came back to home to make it work.  More than capable of walking into another SPL team and being a regular. 

35 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

He's a very capable player and like you say one of the first picks on the team sheet under Hammell. Just don't believe our set up works for him/us.  

Wish the lad all the best, born and bread and came back to home to make it work.  More than capable of walking into another SPL team and being a regular. 

St Midden ? 

• Haha 1

I doubt there's any footballer who has retired thinking "I wish I played less games"

Keepers are a strange breed though and have to prepare for long spells out the game. I suppose it's a nice bonus to be on EPL money, even if it comes from the new wave of Saudi sportswashing cash and sketchy company structures designed to bypass the financial fair play rules. 

But that is a discussion for a different thread. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Another year for him to watch Darlow, Dubravka, Karius and Pope from the stands. Not bad, though, as he is a Newcastle fan. 

Its a pity that a good keeper like that is sitting watching not playing, equally as good as Carson, Randolf etc its a waste of a career but money talks

24 minutes ago, wellfan said:

He's living the dream. It's like being paid to read emails but never having to respond. 

I remember working at Motorola in east kilbride in the early 80’s when you used to get telex’s (telegrams?). Manager rushed out his office and asked aloud who can read German. One guy steps up and the manager gives him the telex. He reads it and hands it back manager asks him, “what does it say”?  He replies, “I don’t know, i can’t translate it, only read it”.  True story! 

• Haha 3