Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

2 hours ago, TwistAndShout said:

Someone pretending to be someone or something they are not… in this case, someone set up an account pretending to be the Daily Record and is posting made up stories.

thanks pal am not very tec savvy  but youv cleared that up, so basically in old money again   its pish talk 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwistAndShout said:

Someone pretending to be someone or something they are not… in this case, someone set up an account pretending to be the Daily Record and is posting made up stories.

And the Daily Record pretends that it employs journalists. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:59 PM, wellsince75 said:

Turnbull would excel and I hope he goes on to much bigger and better things. 

Someone like Turnbull in Italy would be a revelation I think. He has all the qualities to succeed there, and funnily enough the very things that Celtic fans use to play him down as a quality player are why he would succeed.

His first "negative" for Scottish football is that he doesn't "run his socks off" enough for the Celtic fans. He could have half the actual ability, but so long as they saw him charging down players and jumping with his back to them while they calmly pass the ball the other way, or saw him chasing down lost causes they'd be happy enough. That's a quality in their eyes.

His ability to read the game and his in-game intelligence would make him a great fit for Serie A, where players are expected to do more than run and put in effort. 

Even with his limited games this season, he's ranked in the 99th percentile for goals scored per 90 minutes played, xG (expected goals) per 90 minutes played, and has a successful pass completion rate of 87%, which all adds up to him being a proper candidate for a club in Serie A, especially when you consider how the game is played there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Just watching the FA Cup highlights with Ryan Bowman getting a hat trick for Shrewsbury.

What an absolute shambles of defending by Notts county to gift him all 3.

Bowman got a hard time at Fir park I thought he was a great player, just the type we need in the team now.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Bowman got a hard time at Fir park I thought he was a great player, just the type we need in the team now.

Was a fan of his effort and he was a good foil for Moult. If you want a Premiership level goal scorer, however, he was not the man.

13 hours ago, David said:

Someone like Turnbull in Italy would be a revelation I think. He has all the qualities to succeed there, and funnily enough the very things that Celtic fans use to play him down as a quality player are why he would succeed.

His first "negative" for Scottish football is that he doesn't "run his socks off" enough for the Celtic fans. He could have half the actual ability, but so long as they saw him charging down players and jumping with his back to them while they calmly pass the ball the other way, or saw him chasing down lost causes they'd be happy enough. That's a quality in their eyes.

His ability to read the game and his in-game intelligence would make him a great fit for Serie A, where players are expected to do more than run and put in effort. 

Even with his limited games this season, he's ranked in the 99th percentile for goals scored per 90 minutes played, xG (expected goals) per 90 minutes played, and has a successful pass completion rate of 87%, which all adds up to him being a proper candidate for a club in Serie A, especially when you consider how the game is played there.

completely agree. DT was one of the few players I've seen over the years that ooze quality. It's as if he see's the game in slow motion, his timing, positioning a complete joy. 

In my 40+ years following us Cooper, Faddy & Turnbull were on a different level to any other player. 

Looking forward to unearthing a 4th some time soon.

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

completely agree. DT was one of the few players I've seen over the years that ooze quality. It's as if he see's the game in slow motion, his timing, positioning a complete joy. 

Yes, he seemed to have 360 degree radar where the  opposition was  concerned and had great awareness and so much time on the ball. He wasn't suited to Ange's frantic style and I'm not sure Rodgers is getting the best out of him either.

Even his penalty against us on Saturday was a beauty, tucked right in at the post.

On 12/2/2023 at 11:24 AM, Happy Dosser said:

Yes, he seemed to have 360 degree radar where the  opposition was  concerned and had great awareness and so much time on the ball. He wasn't suited to Ange's frantic style and I'm not sure Rodgers is getting the best out of him either.

Even his penalty against us on Saturday was a beauty, tucked right in at the post.

He's also carried himself brilliantly since signing with them, no OTT goal celebrations or badge kissing, the boy deserves to play at a higher level than C/L also rans.

10 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

He's also carried himself brilliantly since signing with them, no OTT goal celebrations or badge kissing, the boy deserves to play at a higher level than C/L also rans.

Ironically, if he had a wee bit more of an ego, he might already have moved on to better things. Hopefully he'll soon be somewhere his talent is fully appreciated.

27 years to the day since we beat Celtic with Jamie Dolan in goal. No matter how long it’s been that day will live long in the memory. I’d actually forgotten that that was one of his last appearances for Motherwell as he moved to Dundee Utd in a swap deal for Owen Coyle the month after.

Also sadly no longer with us.

• Like 10

18 hours ago, MJC said:

27 years to the day since we beat Celtic with Jamie Dolan in goal. No matter how long it’s been that day will live long in the memory. I’d actually forgotten that that was one of his last appearances for Motherwell as he moved to Dundee Utd in a swap deal for Owen Coyle the month after.

Ha Ha - lost my car keys that day during the scenes in the East Stand. Thankfully someone handed them.

Sweet, sweet day.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MJC said:

Another taken far too young ,  always remember this game .  Jamie was brilliant for us 

I was absolutely buzzing when that last minute goal winner went in , then in true rollercoaster style we lost to Raith Rovers in a midweek game a few days later 

3 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Another taken far too young ,  always remember this game .  Jamie was brilliant for us 

I was absolutely buzzing when that last minute goal winner went in , then in true rollercoaster style we lost to Raith Rovers in a midweek game a few days later 

So we did, a last minute winner for Raith I’m sure.

That was back in the days where we didn’t have the same fear that we do now when playing either of the OF and used to get at least one win against one or both of them a season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJC said:

So we did, a last minute winner for Raith I’m sure.

That was back in the days where we didn’t have the same fear that we do now when playing either of the OF and used to get at least one win against one or both of them a season. 

We did , we were quite poor in 96/97 and this game , and then the 2-0 win at Ibrox felt like lottery wins at the time

Owen Coyle done well for us in the second half of the season , a grafter and reliable