Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

Just thought I would share this article (apologises as it the sun), I've always been intrigued by the story of Colin McNair, he seemed to be well en route to achieve big things in the game but drugs amongst other things put paid to that. I remember asking Jim Griffin about the square go they had but it turns out he had tried to split up a fight between Colin and Paul McGrillen and Jim ended up paying the price for it. I'm sure Tommy McLean mentioned somewhere that once when they returned from training Colins car had every tire slashed, he seemed to have vanished completely but seems he has had a troubled life up until now.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/675684/colin-mcnairs-journey-from-playing-in-the-premier-league-to-being-hooked-on-heroin-and-begging-on-the-street/

By the time he reached us, not really. We were his last chance.

I remember him arriving with a degree of expectation but in reality, i just about remember him as another one off the conveyor belt of Tommy McLean signings.

He was forever shipping players in and out.

Two big games coming up for AFC Fylde, my very local team just fifteen minutes walk from the house (or more if I call in at the four pubs en route).

First up on Saturday is a huge game against Kidderminster Harriers which could kill off Kiddy's title hopes and cement Fylde's. A chance for me to see if Zaine Francis-Angol has turned into a footballer yet!

Then on Tuesday another biggie when the Messiah/naughty boy Jim Gannon brings Stockport to Mill Farm.

One game down and I can confirm he's not a footballer yet. As a Fylde fan, 80 minutes of the worst football ever. 2-0 down at half time, bit of pressure but no goals, game drifting away. One goal back from nowhere but Kiddy clinically running down the clock. 89 minutes, red card for Kiddy. 94 minutes big big fight, one from each team sent off, and looked like more fighting in the tunnel. 97 minutes, a late equaliser. Proper exciting football. Remember that?

• Like 2

I noticed Darren Lee Smith scored 2 goals for Stirling Albion in a 2-3 win over Clyde. Remember him scoring a last gasp equaliser for us against Rangers Think it was Rangers. Checked it was Celtic.

Always remember him for scoring the opener in the 2-1 win over Aberdeen which clinched Europe in 2008. Absolutely glorious day.

• Like 1

As I did last night, I watch most Scotland games however not going to pretend I track the in's and out's of the squad and more often than not, I don't even recognise half the starting 11.

So based on my utter lack of knowledge, can anyone tell me why oor lad Jimmy Murphy hasn't even been near the squad ? I also know nothing about his current performances, other than he's in and out the first team of a team flying in the Championship.

As I did last night, I watch most Scotland games however not going to pretend I track the in's and out's of the squad and more often than not, I don't even recognise half the starting 11.

So based on my utter lack of knowledge, can anyone tell me why oor lad Jimmy Murphy hasn't even been near the squad ? I also know nothing about his current performances, other than he's in and out the first team of a team flying in the Championship.

I think he's been called up once under Strachan's reign and was one of a few not to get a chance off the bench in a friendly. Strachan is gradually moving away from his overly loyal approach however so he might get a chance in the future. Having said that, he has tough competition with Snodgrass, Forrest, Anya, Ritchie, Burke, Phillips, and Naismith vying for his position.

• Like 1

I read an article this morning stating that Celtic were one of up to 30 clubs (yes 30) watching Marvin Johnson during the week against Bury I think. He scored the opener.

Also the article also suggested we had negotiated a "substantial" selling on fee.

With Oxford unlikely to gain promotion I hope we are in line for a wee windfall in the summer. Of course getting an additional £2-300k would be nice, but that would be offset against the fact that Oxford could get £1m+ when we got an original £4-500k. Is he that better a player than he was with us ?

You could argue that Oxford had to invest £500k to get their £1m plus while our initial outlay was around £80k (iirc) and we have returned £500k plus a potential windfall of £200 - 300k if that turns out to be true. I still think it was decent business by the club as it is highly unlikely the clubs looking at him now would have been queuing up to offer us that kind of dough regardless of how well he was doing or how unfair that sounds.

I remember reading that the add ons and clauses could make this one of the best transfers in our history, so I wonder just how big the sell on clause is. Also wouldn't be suprised if there were things like "promotion bonus" etc in there...

I remember reading that the add ons and clauses could make this one of the best transfers in our history, so I wonder just how big the sell on clause is. Also wouldn't be suprised if there were things like "promotion bonus" etc in there...

I heard there was an initial fee of £4-500k + appearance fee for when he plays 20 or so matches + promotion bonus (which is now unlikely) + decent sell on clause. So if he is sold for £1m-£2m we would be looking at £7-900k or more if there is a bidding war.

Either way as mentioned a very good return for an initial £40k or so investment.

Some absolute welts on this forum tried to argue that Marvin wasn't our biggest asset at the time, madness. Hopefully he keeps his performance up, gets his transfer and we make another tidy sum. A really good example of our transfer policy coming up trumps.

It's melt mate. Welt is something on a shoe. Just ask Danny Dyer

Kieran Kennedy got a 25 minute run out for AFC Fylde today. Looked pretty comfortable, no sign of his granny hips giving out.

Was it ever revealed what his issues were or was it simply Iain Vigurs syndrome?

Is the new conspiracy theory that Kennedy faked an injury for 8 months to engineer a move to a semi professional 6th tier English side?

Sounds plausible, compared to some of the theories we've seen on here :biggrin:

Is the new conspiracy theory that Kennedy faked an injury for 8 months to engineer a move to a semi professional 6th tier English side?

Plus faking the virus he had where he lost about 3 stone. Must be a fan of method acting.