Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Aberdeen Fri 23 Dec 19:45

Yabba's Turd

The lack of quality in the bottom half of the league is the only reason McGhee isn't under more pressure.

This. Absolutely this.

4 wins in 18 is absolute horseshit whatever way you splice it.

We're in massive massive trouble.

Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if Samson could catch a ball and/or Moult has scored his penalty. Big big mistakes at crucial times that have really cost us.

1 point off the bottom at Christmas is totally unacceptable anyway you look at it. Inverness and Hamilton the next two games? 6 points required.

6 points would be great but unlikely. How many do you think we'll get though? I think we'll do well to get 1.

There's been no progression since the opening game v Killie.

Lose the next 2 games and McGhee should go.

• Like 1

6 points would be great but unlikely. How many do you think we'll get though? I think we'll do well to get 1.

There's been no progression since the opening game v Killie.

Lose the next 2 games and McGhee should go.

Both tough away games at the worst time of the year but I completely agree, lose our next two games we will very likely be bottom and McGhee should get his jotters.

We have players of much better quality than those around us and he's simply not getting the best out of them.

• Like 1

Both tough away games at the worst time of the year but I completely agree, lose our next two games we will very likely be bottom and McGhee should get his jotters.

We have players of much better quality than those around us and he's simply not getting the best out of them.

While I might agree with that, the players aren't showing that they're better than others in the league. Maybe the blinkers need to come off. Maybe the players aren't good enough. But then the blame still lies at McGhee's door as he offered every one them a new contract or actually signed them...

For me, Samson was to blame for the first two goals, Lucas for the 3rd. Score the penalty and things could have been different. Overall though, just not good enough. Midfield is non-existent and defence is honking.

Totally agree re the midfield i am not the greatest Lasley fan but when he went off at half time the midfield went with him we gave an average at best Aberdeen all the time to play the ball about with no pressure on them. The substitutions were dire Thomas can go anytime he was anonymous for 45 mins he wont make a 1st team regular as for Ainsworth up to his usual pish no contribution of any note and a total disregard for tracking back to defend, he was still casually jogging back when McGinn was scoring the 3rd. The next 2 games are massive now 6 points required or its another relegation battle looming.

Heneghan followed through with a high tackle on Shinnie.

If retrospective action is still a thing, there is every chance he'll get a ban, particularly given the focus BT put on him.

It was at least a yellow, however, it could have easily been red and he couldn’t have complained.

That was a frustrating loss. Aberdeen were worthy winners by the end no question but in keeping with the Christmas spirit the points were largely gift wrapped for them by us. Definitely a case of what might have been.

I thought it was a good start from us. Good game all in all in the first half in particular but there were several players who might all have done better with their first. How much did the wind play in it? I don't know but it was an awful goal to lose.

But what a response and what a wonderful equaliser from McDonald.

Only to let them in again. I haven't seen the penalty claim again so I don't know how much there was in it, but I have seen that movie of Samson failing to collect and things going tits up immediately far too often now.

I thought our penalty was iffy at first glance with Las using his experience as they say but the longer he was down the more I wondered. But of course he's not purposely going to stay down as of course that only puts more pressure on the taker the longer the delay. And so the game pretty much went with the missed penalty and the Arthur Montford style "stramash" that followed.

We were already riding our luck by half time when they passed up two good chances and I thought Aberdeen dominated and largely strolled the second half. I was pretty confident at half time that if we could make positive use of the wind we might be able to get back on level terms but we hardly kicked a ball.

We did hit the bar of course but then so did they and had another three or four great chances on top of that.

And then they got their icing on the cake at the death once more helped no end by us.

Sometimes when you get toed you think well, fair enough, you've been soundly beaten and move on but it's games like this that often rankle more. That was a pretty decent opportunity to get a result and we've shot ourselves in the foot. Aberdeen weren't quite in there for the taking territory but we did almost the exact of opposite of everything you're looking to do a team on a dodgy run, under a wee bit of pressure and confidence has taken a dent. We made it easy for them.

A good deal of remedying required in the immediate fixtures.

You start to think we are just a poor team all in all. Same mistakes again and again. Sure we have had bugger all luck with decisions, not least the Dundee non goal. Even tonite - we both miss penalties, they score the rebound and with ours their players kicks it off the post.

BUT we keep giving away SOFT goals at crucial times. Samson - as good as he is at shot stopping and he did help gain us a point last week. Sadly he is good for a flap/fumble every couple of games. He is not good enough but it appears we have nothing else if Brill cannot even get a go in goal.

We are in a relegation battle and I am not sure (like last year) we will pull away.

Merry feckin Xmas !

The substitutions tonight were baffling to bring in Thomas at half time when he's done nothing every time he's had opportunity was unreal then Ainsworth comes on like he dosnt give a shit then bowman for McManus sorry but McGhee has to take some responsibility . All week people talk about our 9 1 under 20s result and McGhee says Mackin deserves a chance yet none of that team given opportunity tonight . I am not saying throw them all in but wound have preferred any of them instead of Thomas as sorry but the boy has not got it at this level .

We need a centre mid badly

Right back I'm not sure if this was a 1 off but we got tore apart down there time & time again

Centre mid, right back & a keeper & we wouldn't be a bad side based on tonight for me

We've arguably got the weakest midfield in the league, Cadden apart. We don't have a single decent central midfielder (maybe McHugh?) and we don't have a left sided midfielder. Both full backs (Hammell and Tait) are decent going forward but poor defensively. Our keeper is not Premiership standard. Yes we do have some talent in the squad ie Ainsworth but that isn't enough that has to be married to character. All in all this is why we are doing so poorly.

The midfield needs a complete overall next month or we are in serious trouble.

Thought, the goals aside, we were actually pretty decent first half and a bit unfortunate to go in behind. Missed Lasley 2nd half and the decision to replace him with Thomas effectively surrendered the midfield, so wasnt a surprise to see Aberdeen dominate after that. Not really sure any of the other options on the bench would have changed things but it wouldnt have been my first choice. Aberdeen were deserved winners in the end but we largely beat ourselves. Too early to be panicking just yet but its the same mistakes week in week out. It needs to stop soon.

• Like 1

The substitutions tonight were baffling to bring in Thomas at half time when he's done nothing every time he's had opportunity was unreal then Ainsworth comes on like he dosnt give a shit then bowman for McManus sorry but McGhee has to take some responsibility . All week people talk about our 9 1 under 20s result and McGhee says Mackin deserves a chance yet none of that team given opportunity tonight . I am not saying throw them all in but wound have preferred any of them instead of Thomas as sorry but the boy has not got it at this level .

I wouldn't write Thomas off yet. I think he needs a run in a team that's playing well to adapt to first team football. At the moment he's being brought on in games where we're struggling and understandably finding it difficult.
  • Like 1

People need to get a grip. We are 3 points off the Top 6 with a game in hand. You'd think we were rock bottom. The whole 4 wins thing means diddly squat in a season where there have been so many draws.

People also need to adjust their expectations in this new age of fan ownership. We had 2,700 fans at the match and I'm afraid that's where we are at the moment.

As for the performance it was always going to be difficult against a better team in poor conditions. First goal was a terrible goal to lose when I thought the match was fairly evenly pitched. Samson seems to be getting the blame and he should have done better but he didn't give the ball away in his own half.

I've not seen TV pictures but I was at the opposite end of the pitch and I could see it was never a penalty. Never a penalty so how Madden is giving it I'm not sure. But here's the thing....Aberdeen reacted first to both penalty rebounds and that's not good enough. Players need to be more switched on because that has cost us points tonight.

Second half there was a collapse after Lasley went off. I'm afraid Clay and Lucas aren't good enough and Lasley is still our best available midfielder....even at 37. We desperately need to strengthen midfield in the transfer window....if we can afford to. This is our big weakness that has to be addressed. Someone said we have better players than other teams around us....well I'm afraid we don't in central midfield. Tansey/Draper is better than we've got. Gillespie/McKinnon is better than we've got. Osman/Edwards is better than we've got. If you concede midfield, you concede that match....it's that simple.

Third goal, well I'm afraid Tait has had a nightmare all match. Hayes destroyed him and that can happen when you come up against one of the better players in the league.

We are lacking at the moment. Lacking a little bit of luck, lacking a little bit of refereeing goodwill, lacking a bit of quality, lacking a bit of confidence but we aren't miles away.

If anyone thinks we'd be doing better with another manager I'm afraid they are kidding themselves but if you want to go down the St. Mirren route maybe you need to look at what's happened to them.

I never expected us to be a Top 6 team this season and I don't expect anything other than 7 teams slugging it out for the rest of the season with not much between any of them.

That's the state of affairs, if you want to lose the head, fine but where does that get us?

• Like 5

People need to get a grip. We are 3 points off the Top 6 with a game in hand.

People also need to adjust their expectations in this new age of fan ownership. We had 2,700 fans at the match and I'm afraid that's where we are at the moment.

We desperately need to strengthen midfield in the transfer window....if we can afford to. This is our big weakness that has to be addressed. Someone said we have better players than other teams around us....well I'm afraid we don't in central midfield. Tansey/Draper is better than we've got. Gillespie/McKinnon is better than we've got. Osman/Edwards is better than we've got. If you concede midfield, you concede that match....it's that simple.

I agree with much that you write but not all. Our game in hand is at Pittodrie and I don't hold out much hope of picking up anything there, on current form. The game tonight was always going to attract a poor crowd but it was better than Kilmarnock or Ross County managed. It was also on TV. You're on the money about central midfield and thats a weakness that should have rectified years ago but wasn't.

Sleeping pattern's fucked so just watched the game. Thought we were abysmal tonight apart from a 10 minute spell in the first half. Moult and Cadden had absolute mare's, and McDonald wasn't up to much either (worldy aside). Samson has to be dropped ASAP. Not only is he costing us goals but he physically can't kick a ball with his left foot and refuses to try and retain possession when the ball's passed back to him. Apart from a moment of magic by McDonald and a few crosses into the box we didn't really create a single chance from open play. Just grim stuff.

Think we'll see Craigan at the helm at the start of next season.

Also a special mention for the referee tonight. I think Madden's one of the better refs in the league, but that was nothing short of shambolic tonight. Heneghan is a lucky boy.

I wouldn't write Thomas off yet. I think he needs a run in a team that's playing well to adapt to first team football. At the moment he's being brought on in games where we're struggling and understandably finding it difficult.

Sorry but how many chances does Thomas get to prove himself this is the 3rd manager at least he has played under and he has been given opportunities , albeit a few sub appearances here and there to show that he is ready to follow Cadden and make the step up to the 1st team and every time he fails to deliver or show any signs of progression. PS just watched the highlights on BBC and all i will say is that Rooney is a diving B**tard, no contact whatsoever.