S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

I hear what you are saying but not even Fabio Capello could make a competent backline for us!

Our strength should be attack, to me that has to be the focus, certainly for home games in which we need all 9 points before the split.

If we make every game a slugfest / brawl, while I am sure there will be some more bruises, we have better chance of winning games. Trying to keeep it tight didn't work for McGhee, we need to start having a go at teams.

If you are conceding keeping it tight you'll never score enough goals to win going all out attack.

Partick Thistle have kept 6 clean sheets in their last 9 matches and conceded only 4 goals. Guess what, they have 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats.

Whoever comes in has to get us defending better or that's it.

If you are conceding keeping it tight you'll never score enough goals to win going all out attack.

Partick Thistle have kept 6 clean sheets in their last 9 matches and conceded only 4 goals. Guess what, they have 5 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats.

Whoever comes in has to get us defending better or that's it.

Keeping it tight, midfield play side ways and back pass to Samson. No more, no thanks.

I can't agree with you; we have the worst defensive players in the league.

I'll argue all day one of the best group of attackers in the league and we need to show more ambition, raise the tempo and shift play to the front.

Keeping it tight, midfield play side ways and back pass to Samson. No more, no thanks.

I can't agree with you; we have the worst defensive players in the league.

I'll argue all day one of the best group of attackers in the league and we need to show more ambition, raise the tempo and shift play to the front.

Got to agree Fergi. We need to attack and hope we outscore.

One of things I was most disappointed under McGhee. In his previous reign he had us firing quickly and trying to blow teams away.

His football philosophy completely changed to a counter attack style. We really don't have the defence or defenders who have confidence in the keeper to play that style. Or a mobile enough midfield to support it either.

I don't think you can under estimate the effect that Samson has on team confidence. Especially when the full stadium holds its breath when the ball comes anywhere near him or in the box.

• Like 1

Got to agree Fergi. We need to attack and hope we outscore.

We do need to attack but part of the problem so far is that we haven't had the midfield players with the necessary attributes to supply our strikers. Lack of pace and lack of creativity.

When I was at school, the brightest of the bright didn't even get 5 A Highers.

They must be a lot easier these days.

I know you're joking and it's not relevant to this topic in the slightest but that comment far more accurate than you'd dare to think. Scotland's education system is in a worse state than Motherwell's defence.

If people are serious in the belief that all out attack for the remainder of the season will be our saviour then they are truly delusional. There are very few squads in history that have had the ability to go toe to toe in that manner game in game out and this present Motherwell squad isn't one of them.

If what people are really after is a bit more of an attacking approach to match day strategy than the dire humdrum we have endured this season, then that is a wholly different ask.

I am confident we will survive but it won't be by outscoring the opposition like a Sunday league team.

If people are serious in the belief that all out attack for the remainder of the season will be our saviour then they are truly delusional. There are very few squads in history that have had the ability to go toe to toe in that manner game in game out and this present Motherwell squad isn't one of them.

If what people are really after is a bit more of an attacking approach to match day strategy than the dire humdrum we have endured this season, then that is a wholly different ask.

I am confident we will survive but it won't be by outscoring the opposition like a Sunday league team.

Can't see anyone asking for a 2-3-5 formation Gadgey.... all attack hasn't been mentioned.

Maybe playing to our strengths and not trying to combat others....

• Like 1

Can we wait till next week and look at Alex Neil....

Getting pumped 5-1 today so imagine he might be due the tin tack.

He ruled himself out of the Rangers gig today, can see him getting his jotters soon at Norwich as they have suffered a few heavy defeats this season.

Guys on Mixlr were saying Valakari has officially applied, i think he would prob be in with a shout if we were looking in the summer, can see someone with experience getting the job this time, but if Robinson was a serious contender todays result won't have dampened his chances. Not the first time the club have threw a curve ball it'll be an interesting week or so as I'm sure the club will want to have the position filled sooner rather than later.

You can't base the future of the club on one nightmare half and one decent half.

Robinson hasn't covered himself in glory here or at Oldham and rightly or wrongly won't be given a clean slate by the fans. The guy was involved in signing Joe Chalmers and took Barraclough to Oldham so me that rules him out.

You can't base the future of the club on one nightmare half and one decent half.

Robinson hasn't covered himself in glory here or at Oldham and rightly or wrongly won't be given a clean slate by the fans. The guy was involved in signing Joe Chalmers and took Barraclough to Oldham so me that rules him out.

Can you tell the powers that be that please

One decent result doesn't make Robinson the answer to our prayers, but it does raise a few questions. Given the less than inspiring names being thrown around, I'd be tempted to give him another couple of games to see if this is more than a freak result. It would be about points rather than performance as we are at the stage of the season where it is only points that matter.

Don't think today's game made any difference to the managerial decision. On the downside, for me, Lasley and Hammell started and for differing reasons that should not have been the case. On the upside changes were made at HT. We need a new face but don't ask me who that is.

One decent result doesn't make Robinson the answer to our prayers, but it does raise a few questions. Given the less than inspiring names being thrown around, I'd be tempted to give him another couple of games to see if this is more than a freak result. It would be about points rather than performance as we are at the stage of the season where it is only points that matter.

Winning 2-1 at Kilmarnock is hardly a freak result. We've been drawing 1-1 or winning 2-1 against teams in this part of the league all season long.

• Like 1

I counted and Lasley won the ball eight times in the first half. That's a good 45 minutes for any midfielder.

Swap him for Clay or Lucas and the game is gone by half time.

Pretty much. Hammell and Lasley went off because we had to change the shape, not because they were having stinkers. If players were subbed on performance Heneghan and Jules would have been off.

I was expecting a few reports of prospective managers being in the stand, then trying to figure out what team he was there for. Going by the lack of substantive rumours I'm guessing we held off to see what today's result was before getting serious with the search.

It really depends who else is in for the job tbh. Giving the job full time to caretaker who has worked in the short term invariably unravels quite quickly, see Mike Phelan at Hull and various other instances. If it's a straight choice between someone like Valikari or Robinson then at the moment I'd stick with a known like Robinson until the end of the season and reassess in the summer however if there are other experienced candidates who fit the profile of what we're after then I'd say that one of those options would be more likely.

I think Robinson's a fine, capable option in the interim and a good coach to have around but I wouldn't expect the club to just give him the job if there's an alternative applicant who is a better fit for the role.

• Like 1