The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

I don't think we are in any position to be complaining about the length of contracts.

Hopefully guys like Bigiramama and Tanner are planning to impress up here and get a better move off the back of their performances. They probably wouldn't sign for three years.

Not complaining just commenting on fact that all 3 signings have 2 year contracts . If you make comments on this site now a days your complaining according to some . A 1 year deal shows no confidence in a player imo and a 3 yr is risky so 2 is normal these days but if all get 2 you know what will probably happen in 2019 will be another rebuild that's all I'm saying .

A quick question for those amongst us with the time and knowledge to stalk other clubs fans forums...is this signing causing any sort of metldown amongst the fans of Plymouth Argyle? That seems as good a way as any to gauge on whether or not we have a player or a dumpling on our hands, particularly in these days of knowing nothing about almost anyone we sign.

2 year contracts can be good or bad.

Blyth and Clay...

Beat me to it.

Especially when we have so many signings to make, and depending on what players will accept, it's all about risk/reward. 2 year contracts give us a chance to assess players and offer extensions after 6 -12 months.For a club with our finances it's arguably better to lose 2 good players for free at the end of 2 years than have 2 bad players on our books for 3 years.

Tying up our younger prospects on longer deals is more important.

A quick question for those amongst us with the time and knowledge to stalk other clubs fans forums...is this signing causing any sort of metldown amongst the fans of Plymouth Argyle? That seems as good a way as any to gauge on whether or not we have a player or a dumpling on our hands, particularly in these days of knowing nothing about almost anyone we sign.

Not much, just one comment from a Plymouth fan in the local press...

”This is sad. The best of luck to him but from an Argyle point of view such a shame. I can't remember seeing him give anything less than 100% for us. I'm sure we'll all miss him. Motherwell signed a good'n!“

Right Carl, that's your mate signed on so get that contract extension signed. There's a good lad.

With Tanner signing does it suggest we're possibly looking at 4-2-3-1 next season with McHugh and Bigirimana sitting and Cadden, Tanner and Frear in behind a striker?

• Like 1

Right Carl, that's your mate signed on so get that contract extension signed. There's a good lad.

With Tanner signing does it suggest we're possibly looking at 4-2-3-1 next season with McHugh and Bigirimana sitting and Cadden, Tanner and Frear in behind a striker?

Hopefully we can play some good stacking football then, all we need now is a striker who will bang them in, the goalkeeper Carson, quality LB and another CB and CM is that asking for too much ??

To be honest I think you could perm it in a few ways. 4411, 442, 433 and the 4231 you mentioned.

Could do but I hope not. Don't think I've ever seen Motherwell play well with 1 striker. It's fine at the top level when you have high quality players across the park but whenever I see teams at our level try it it is usually dire with the striker isolated and high balls getting pumped aimless upfield.

You might say we've done it in the past with the likes of McFadden, McDonald and Ojamaa playing off the main striker but those were really quality players who were more forwards than midfielders.

• Like 1

I'm amazed that for once a rumour has turned out to be true!

By comparison, least year we signed Tait, Ben, and Blyth in the last week of June. So we really are getting our work done early.

Two rumours! That singular tweet from a Coventry unofficial fansite twitter about Bigirimana on Friday morning proved to be true as well. The only other thing I could find at all online regarding that was an article from 2015 saying that we had just missed out on him and Vuckic to Rangers.

Don't think we'll be signing Tanner as a striker per say and I'd expect him to play as a 10 or a right winger, judging by his stats on transfermarket and I'm not sure we're signing him with a reliance on goals. In the past we've seen the likes of O'Brien, Humphrey and Ojamaa offer great attacking contributions without much in the way of goals so it'll be all about what he brings to the team as a whole.

The early business encourages me as I think it means we are getting first choice targets. Time to crack on now on goalkeepers, a left back and one, possibly two centre backs. Then a striker or two if Moult, Bowman and Blyth exit as expected.

From the snippets I read on Tanner last week, the Plymouth fans were fond of him but they weren't surprised or overly disappointed to see him move on.

Sounds like he has good technical ability but his final product leaves a lot to be desired. Investing in potential here, may start of as a versatile squad player as I expect us to sign a number 10 and a winger.

Here's an interesting comment about Tanner from the Plymouth forum:

"I think he was one of our most naturally talented players. However I don't think he suited Adam's style as he preferred taller , faster out and out wide men. Whenever he played more centrally, I always felt he was in Carey's shadow too. He scored 12 in 80 odd appearances but I reckon 20-30 of these were less than 10 minutes each. I thik he has more like a goal every 5 games record, which is solid for a midfielder.

If given the freedom and confidence of regular football, and a role which suits him, I think he will be a big player for Motherwell and one we may come to regret losing in 1-2 year. I can see him playing Championship football in the future.

Good luck Craig, thank you for all your hard work I met him after a game once with my son and he was a really nice bloke too."

Just one guy's opinion etc but it seems quite a balanced view.

I get the impression that Robinson is putting some thought into what positions need strengthening in the team, 2 of the 3 signings so far have addressed the problems we have in midfield so it looks promising . All we need now is a decent keeper and maybe 1 centre half and a left back and we will be sorted.

Don't think I've ever seen Motherwell play well with 1 striker. It's fine at the top level when you have high quality players across the park but whenever I see teams at our level try it it is usually dire with the striker isolated and high balls getting pumped aimless upfield.

I go along with that. That formation just doesn't suit us despite the like of McCall, Baraclough, and McGhee playing it at various times.

• Andy_P locked this topic