The Great Rebuild 2017'18

fizoxy

We currently have zero goalkeepers, two central defenders and one left back under contract for next season. Even at right back, the second choice is McMillan and it's uncertain whether Robinson rates him or not as he has been injured for most of the time Robinson has been in charge. Safe to say that the defensive area of the team is where we should (and I expect will) be looking to strengthen next. Given our limited budget, I expect to see us signing a player can play both left back and centre half (as both Chalmers and Jules were said to be able to do). We simply can't afford to have two established professionals for each position (another reason I expect to see McHugh fill in at centre back often next season). As such, I don't think strikers or attacking players should be a priority right now.

I already stated that all of our strikers seem to of the same general type. That being said, it's still four players taking home what will be some level of a first team wage. Until one or two of them are moved on, talk of signing two strikers is fanciful at best.

Assuming no one else leaves, for me the minimum shopping list would be

2 goalkeepers

1 player who can play left back and centre half.

Given the numbers we have elsewhere, that's the basics. Would it be good to have other options elsewhere? Yes, but if you're talking minimum, that's the number. Obviously that number changes if one or two players leave.

Quality over quantity and a bit of versatility required. Interesting that Robinson mentioned that Tanner could play several positions. That kind of flexibility (like McHugh's ability to play in more than one position) will be more important than simply the number of players we have...

• Like 1

I'd like to see us get someone like Paul Dixon at left back, solid defender, decent going forward. I watched Dundee Utd a few times last year and he was one of the few glimmers of hope they had. He's out of contract and i doubt money would be an issue.

Honestly, maybe about three years ago. I really rated Dixon, but he's been released from United for a reason; he's absolutely finished.

We currently have zero goalkeepers, two central defenders and one left back under contract for next season. Even at right back, the second choice is McMillan and it's uncertain whether Robinson rates him or not as he has been injured for most of the time Robinson has been in charge. Safe to say that the defensive area of the team is where we should (and I expect will) be looking to strengthen next......

Assuming no one else leaves, for me the minimum shopping list would be

2 goalkeepers

1 player who can play left back and centre half.

Given the numbers we have elsewhere, that's the basics. Would it be good to have other options elsewhere? Yes, but if you're talking minimum, that's the number. Obviously that number changes if one or two players leave.

I agree about defence being our priority. It should not just be about filling vacancies though; it has to be about strengthening it too. Lets not forget we had one of the most porous defences in the league last season. A stronger central midfield and a decent keeper will certainly help.

Yes, we do need 2 keepers.

Right back? A lot depends on whether the boss rates MacMillan or not. If not we need cover. Tait is not the best defensively either.

Central defence? (assuming Heneghan doesn't move on): We need one experienced player at the very least, maybe two if McManus has serious injury problems. I really don't want to see McHugh hauled out of midfield again.. save in an emergency.

Left back? We need a first pick left back. Top priority for me is an out and out defender.

• Like 1

Maybe not a priority right now but I'd like to see Stephen Craigan source an up and coming left back for our Under 20s. This will probably be Stevie Hammell's last year with us and there doesn't seem to be any young left back on the horizon to act as back up next season (2018-19). I'm sure the management will be aware of this deficiency.

Not sure if there is much in this, but Flo has followed 4 players on Twitter this week, Bigi, Fisher, Tanner... and Greg Stewart!

Stewart would be a brilliant signing!

Has hardly had any game time at Birmingham and must be desperate for first team football!

Think he still has a few years left down there but a good loan option?

Mentioned him a few days ago on here

Maybe not a priority right now but I'd like to see Stephen Craigan source an up and coming left back for our Under 20s. This will probably be Stevie Hammell's last year with us and there doesn't seem to be any young left back on the horizon to act as back up next season (2018-19). I'm sure the management will be aware of this deficiency.

I know both of his appearances for the first team thus far have been wide midfield, but Adam Livingstone is a left back by trade. Whether he can launch an assault on the first team next season, I really don't know, haven't seen him enough to judge.

Left back is a signing priority for me though, as I wouldn't want too many eggs in either basket next season.

Both Gordon Duncan & Gavin McCafferty updating from Robinson's news conference there.

New keeper to be announced, Griffiths signing up as well, we're close to bringing in an attacking midfielder, no one's come in for Moult and we're offering him a new deal. And rest.

https://twitter.com/GavinMcCafferty/status/872043823744110592

https://twitter.com/gordonduncan7/status/872043279956807681

So looks like we have our two keepers lined up. Interested to see the attacking midfielder we have lined up if it all goes well. I'd have thought midfield wasn't a priority given we've signed two already so this guy must be worth going for...

So looks like we have our two keepers lined up. Interested to see the attacking midfielder we have lined up if it all goes well. I'd have thought midfield wasn't a priority given we've signed two already so this guy must be worth going for...

I suppose it depends on where we play Tanner - if we deploy him as a winger then I think a central attacking midfielder would be a decent signing. A lot will depend on what formation Robinson wants to play, I guess.

I suppose it depends on where we play Tanner - if we deploy him as a winger then I think a central attacking midfielder would be a decent signing. A lot will depend on what formation Robinson wants to play, I guess.

Quite. I get the impression that both Frear and now Tanner are speed merchants but we still lack a creative midfielder. Midfield is all about balance; the right mix of skills and talents if you like and over the past few seasons we just haven't got it right.

Good to see Carson sign. He seems a decent keeper.

• Andy_P locked this topic