2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

8 minutes ago, Last post by: said:

Hearing Kaiyne Woolery is available again having been released from Sakaryaspor. I'd take him back to add to the front line for sure. Unlikley to see him back but there was defineltly a player in there.

Not for me i didn't rate him last time he was here we've went back to the well to often shows how limited our recruitment is

15 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I also see some Well fans on social media suggesting we re-sign Peter Hartley. Assuming those are fans who have forgotten that by the end of his time at Fir Park that his powers were on the wane...?

Depends what he wants to do I guess. He's nearly 35 now, and as you mention, his levels were waning shortly before he left us almost three years ago, so how much more does he have to offer at a decent level?

I wouldn't be against him coming back as part of the backroom team in some capacity. He seems like he was a good guy to have around the club.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

I never thought about that tbh, i assumed he was not injured and fit to play, but his game time has been limited this season so I still think Postecoglu does not rate him.

Up until the League Cup final where he got injured, Turnbull was the only outfield player to feature in every match under Postecoglu, So not so sure he does not rate Turnbull. More like others such as O'Riley and Hatate grabbed their chance and the Manager has stuck by them, and rightly so given their performances.  It's not as if Postegoglu has needed to bring Turnbull back because of poor results. 

To hear Hammy say only 1 or 2 will come in is terrifying.

I feel for Stevie a little, he just looks like a little lost boy who has no idea how to figure this out, the fact his number 2 is also inexperienced is a disaster for all to see. His head of recruitment is clearly a wage thief who has approx zero contacts.

However he took the job so he better find the answers soon.

We literally need about 6 players to drag us out of this garbage and not youngsters, we need actual experience.

The first signing Blaney is at least a start but its a punt.

We need to sign Penny up ASAP. We need another centre half, a tough workhorse midfielder or 2 and a forward and then some squad players as we are at the bare bones.

If we dont get behind Hammy and give him a chance to bring players in he may as well just walk as this current squad just havent got the bottle for the fight!!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mccus28 said:

To hear Hammy say only 1 or 2 will come in is terrifying.

I feel for Stevie a little, he just looks like a little lost boy who has no idea how to figure this out, the fact his number 2 is also inexperienced is a disaster for all to see. His head of recruitment is clearly a wage thief who has approx zero contacts.

However he took the job so he better find the answers soon.

We literally need about 6 players to drag us out of this garbage and not youngsters, we need actual experience.

The first signing Blaney is at least a start but its a punt.

We need to sign Penny up ASAP. We need another centre half, a tough workhorse midfielder or 2 and a forward and then some squad players as we are at the bare bones.

If we dont get behind Hammy and give him a chance to bring players in he may as well just walk as this current squad just havent got the bottle for the fight!!!!!

I'm happy to back Hammell and don't particularly lay the blame for current results with him. 

I agree about the signing 1 or 2 being terrifying.  There's a time for people to show their teeth, as you say we need multiple signings and be far more confident to hear SH talking about expecting several new faces. 

Shame on Burrows et all - they should be getting stuck in here and ensuring we make plenty of signings , give a bit of backing to their man. 

• Like 1

There's no evidence to say that we aren't working on signings. Hammell has said multiple times over the last few weeks that they have been working around the clock to try and get things done, but it takes two to tango.

The idea that a bunch of players will just turn up on day one of the window is wishful thinking to say the least. We are rarely a players fist choice, so we often have to wait for other moves to happen before we can make ours.

21 hours ago, fizoxy said:

On loan Peter Hartley was excellent, but post injury he was as bad as what we currently have now, and spent a season on the bench before taking it easy in the Indian league. Players that wear their hearts on their sleeves can be endearing to fans, but if we signed a unknown player with all Hartley's attributes and similar career path, this place would meltdown. 

Hartley was superb in his final season leading up to the Covid stoppage when we were sitting in 3rd with loads of clean sheets. 

If we only sign 1 or 2 more players this window, and don't try to engineer some of the dross out of the club, it signals to me that the Board/Burrows are content with potential relegation. I.e. they shot their load through stupidly extending GA and then having to pay him compensation. The word rudderless springs to mind. 

Just now, fizoxy said:

According to Hammell, via the record, we're working on getting at least one striker in before the weekend. 

I honestly don’t expect to see more than two players through the door, it’s a tough window.

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Hartley was superb in his final season leading up to the Covid stoppage when we were sitting in 3rd with loads of clean sheets. 

I don't remember much about that period, other than every other team conspiring to give us third :-) 

Hartley's a free agent so no harm in asking him along to training for a week or two and if he's past it then say cheerio, no harm done. Same goes for Leigh Griffiths.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, wellfan said:

they shot their load through stupidly extending GA and then having to pay him compensation. The word rudderless springs to mind. 

At the time he was doing fine and the decision to extend his contract was the right thing to do. In the end he resigned and wasn't fired, although I suspect we came to some financial agreement.  

16 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Hartley's a free agent so no harm in asking him along to training for a week or two and if he's past it then say cheerio, no harm done. Same goes for Leigh Griffiths.

My heart says yes we get the old Hartley, my head says he’s now 34 and well past his best.

If we announced that we were singing a 34 year old defender that has been playing in India the last few years, most of us would be furious.

The Griffiths talk needs to get in the bin, he was finished last year when he couldn't cut it at Falkirk.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

We seem to have problems everywhere, if you read all the comments on this forum.

For me the biggest problem is midfield. we don't have players who track back, tackle and support the defence when the other team is on the ball. Or support the front men going forward. The fact that Goss and Slattery are there every week, shows the lack of depth we have in that area. 

Not an easy fix.

I'd agree a lightweight midfield exposes a very average defence, a piss poor combination. Cornelius , Tierney and McKinstry are lightweights. Slattery and Goss iffy at best.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

At the time he was doing fine and the decision to extend his contract was the right thing to do. In the end he resigned and wasn't fired, although I suspect we came to some financial agreement.  

Two board members in particular bought into Alexander’s pish so much so we dumped a few highly respected back room staff and even brought in his mate who got put in charge of the doctor and physio and he wasn’t even qualified , all on Alexander’s say so. It was a mistake extending his contract but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The board also backed Alexander with both Watt and Woolery - both mistakes. 

They all received a hefty pay off that’s why we are skint and signed 2 loan crocks and are in a relegation battle and only able to sign 2 players / we are skint through massive mis management at board level .

Burrows should be chased out of town with his Scot vec cameraman CV - we are just too gullible to actually do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

A contract extension award for someone doing just fine was not the right thing to do. There was no need to award anything additional at that point, and we should've waited to see how the rest of the season panned out, which wasn't great to be honest. The less said about Sligo, the better. 

I was content when he got the job in January 2021, but by November 2021 I was hoping he would be gone soon. The performances at that point were often enough to get football cancelled as a spectator sport, and it was only Tony Watt who dragged us across the line for the most part. So, yes, I personally still think the Board/Burrows shot their load too early in extending him, which led to it being too difficult to get rid of him at the end 2021/22, and that has now left us with a rookie manager and no real playing budget for 2022/23.

12 hours ago, wellfan said:

If we only sign 1 or 2 more players this window, and don't try to engineer some of the dross out of the club, it signals to me that the Board/Burrows are content with potential relegation. I.e. they shot their load through stupidly extending GA and then having to pay him compensation. The word rudderless springs to mind. 

If we sign one or two players in this window it signals to me what I know about the January window, and that is that it's a very difficult window to do anything in unless you're a big club with sizeable resources.

How many teams are going to be offloading players of the quality we'd need mid-season? At best you're getting a few loan signings in, with maybe a free agent being available.

But the summer is when the real work is done, and Hammell didn't really get that. 

8 minutes ago, David said:

At best you're getting a few loan signings in, with maybe a free agent being available.

Most bigger clubs only send their players out on loan to clubs with an experienced coaching staff they think will help develop their players. So I think we’ll be relying on free agents, which is bottom of the barrel stuff. We would’ve had better financial resources and more experience at the helm had the Board/Burrows not messed up. None of this is Hammy’s fault. His faults are that he is inexperienced and failing to learn quickly on the job. 

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Most bigger clubs only send their players out on loan to clubs with an experienced coaching staff they think will help develop their players. So I think we’ll be relying on free agents, which is bottom of the barrel stuff. We would’ve had better financial resources and more experience at the helm had the Board/Burrows not messed up. None of this is Hammy’s fault. His faults are that he is inexperienced and failing to learn quickly on the job. 

as i have said on here before,   weve had experienced staff but we still get feck all good loanees    most other clubs get them from liverpool, man u, wigan etc etc   we get a leeds youth player that came from here in the first place ,

jesus its only a few years ago aberdeen got a young james maddison, heez now getting talked up in millions, we have only ever had keek, so maybe its not our managers ,,,,,, maybe its our wee club

while we are at it             hows the transfer rumour mill coming along ?   has ronaldo signed for abu dabu or are we still favourites ?  rashfords not happy at man u,      or are we getting  the strilker from cumbernauld colts ?????

come on lads somebody mustv heard something. last day off before back to work so am sure we will hear something today    ya beezer, david, OTF, wellfan,      jesus christ even steelboy / yodo   anybody we need GOOD players not just numbers    come on mr burrows you know you need to

Hammell mentioned yesterday that he hoped to tie on deal up this week. The only rumour I've heard that was mentioned earlier in the thread was the guy Leko, but some reporters are doubting the source of the story on that one. I usually look at Scott Burns Twitter page as he's always on the money with our transfers well before we officially announce them but sadly nothing has been mentioned so far. A wee quality signing will lift the place.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic