2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

9 hours ago, GrahamH said:

Who were the alternatives? As far as I remember Moult was signed on the cusp of the window closing and it was touch and go as to whether or not it was happening.

Moves made by St Johnstone were inextricably linked. Them’s the breaks, it’s proved costly but, we move on. 

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Moves made by St Johnstone were inextricably linked. Them’s the breaks, it’s proved costly but, we move on. 

Would that be the "we were looking to bring back Jamie Murphy " rumours doing the rounds at the time?

The problem with being publically desperate to sign folk is that the selling clubs and available players know that, and can use that to try and get extra out of us, or start a bidding thing.  As burrows mentioned, we're at the mercy of other clubs making their moves first, and we're hardly in a position to speed things up with more cash. I'd like to hear the sales pitch to join us right now. 

5 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

The problem with being publically desperate to sign folk is that the selling clubs and available players know that, and can use that to try and get extra out of us, or start a bidding thing.  As burrows mentioned, we're at the mercy of other clubs making their moves first, and we're hardly in a position to speed things up with more cash. I'd like to hear the sales pitch to join us right now. 

There has been a lot of talk regarding drastic changes but when you look at the fine margins even a relatively small change could lead to a much better looking league table position. Granted the more improvements (not just changes) we make the better but if we can just get 1 player to be a scoring partner beside KVV that would help a lot or a rock solid central defender to cajole and organize on the pitch or a midfielder with some presence to be a ball winner or creative spark. Even just one good signing could make a big difference to our season. However, easier said than done. 

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

As this topic is 'ins and outs', the chat has focused on the 'ins.' On the flipside, however, who would we like to ses on the 'outs' lists?

I was hoping Josh Morris would move on to free up a wage, I assumed thats why he had been missing from the squad recently but I think he was either ill or injured. Plenty others I would happy drive to other clubs but sadly we'll be stuck with them until the Summer at the very least.

It's the hope that kills you, both Burrow's and Hammell mentioned last week that they had hoped to get new faces in by the end of last week, apparently we came close but nowt else was really mentioned. Hopefully though the patience pays dividends and we can unearth some gems. A new signing would certainly lift the morale a bit, it's frustrating seeing Aberdeen and Hearts have no trouble bringing in many new faces the last few days but they obviously have far more dosh than us.

9 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I was hoping Josh Morris would move on to free up a wage, I assumed thats why he had been missing from the squad recently but I think he was either ill or injured. Plenty others I would happy drive to other clubs but sadly we'll be stuck with them until the Summer at the very least.

It's the hope that kills you, both Burrow's and Hammell mentioned last week that they had hoped to get new faces in by the end of last week, apparently we came close but nowt else was really mentioned. Hopefully though the patience pays dividends and we can unearth some gems. A new signing would certainly lift the morale a bit, it's frustrating seeing Aberdeen and Hearts have no trouble bringing in many new faces the last few days but they obviously have far more dosh than us.

I had forgotten about Morris; he's another failed Alexander experiment. I wonder if managers still freeze out players, making them feel compelled to ask their agent for a move?!

6 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I had forgotten about Morris; he's another failed Alexander experiment. I wonder if managers still freeze out players, making them feel compelled to ask their agent for a move?!

You'd think so. I mean, it's not like he'll be earning such a large amount of money here that he'll be happy sitting in the stands every game.

58 minutes ago, wellfan said:

As this topic is 'ins and outs', the chat has focused on the 'ins.' On the flipside, however, who would we like to ses on the 'outs' lists?

100% I'd like to see some wages freed up by at least attempting to move on:-

Maguire, Morris, Mugabe, Shields.

We obviously can't move our 2 crocked left backs on but they'd also be on my list to either free or try to find a club.

5 minutes ago, smiddy said:

just one to through in to the mix 

experianced mid fielder

played in engerland with success

not even getting bench time

i give you

MR JAMES McCARTHY   fromthe smellic give him am 18 month contract     simplees 

oft a can hear the seath already 

No way could we pay his wages, he is probably on about £15-£20 k a week. Plus lot of injuries 

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

No way could we pay his wages, he is probably on about £15-£20 k a week. Plus lot of injuries 

just a name grizzly      doesnt need the money   stays in thorntonhall at ek  so local

would get game time, and we were talking bout davies from gers ????   am just wondering whos available and who we can get,   plus nobody else is starting  roumers so just a thought   + who did you play left back with for years just asking in case our paths have crossed 

The difference between Davis at Rangers and McCarthy at Celtic is that Davis contract was expiring, so he was set to earn nothing unless someone else offered him a deal.

McCarthy is under contract with Celtic until May 2025. He's not walking away from, what? £1.6 million in wages?

5 minutes ago, David said:

The difference between Davis at Rangers and McCarthy at Celtic is that Davis contract was expiring, so he was set to earn nothing unless someone else offered him a deal.

McCarthy is under contract with Celtic until May 2025. He's not walking away from, what? £1.6 million in wages?

David i understand everything people are saying,   am just chucking names about, if you throw enough shite at a wall eventually some will stick ,     who are you thinking of ????

35 minutes ago, smiddy said:

just a name grizzly      doesnt need the money   stays in thorntonhall at ek  so local

would get game time, and we were talking bout davies from gers ????   am just wondering whos available and who we can get,   plus nobody else is starting  roumers so just a thought   + who did you play left back with for years just asking in case our paths have crossed 

Yep, money no object as made his fortune but can't see it happening though we tried to get Snodgrass so must be funds there. Ps. Hamilton FP's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Ah! The mutual offload you peddled weeks back. Doesn’t work in theory never mind in practise. Give it up

• David locked this topic