2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

There's zero chance of getting a 20 goals a season striker into Fir Park in January, but on paper at least, this looks like a decent signing.

We've had no options through the middle, so even when KVV has been injured, sick or just off form he's still had to be the starter.

Whinge like fuck cos we are doing no transfer business, whinge like fuck when we do. I don't give a fuck who they played for before or what their fans think its what they do for us. Bet Dundee Utd fans thought they were getting one of the best players in the league and paying him 5 grand a week... And what did they get an average journey man that could have been matched by someone at a fraction of the price. Let's see them first and frankly they've got fuck all to beat our benchmark is so low. 

might only be the rumour mill but apparently hes after another winger,Penney,and a centre back if that was to happen id be very surprised but it would be catastrophic for us to go down so we might invest to try and stay up also why were not after a central midfielder only god knows. Apparently weretrying to move Morris on aswell

• Like 1

So far we've replaced the injured Mugabi with Blaney, then we've brought in Mandron and Crankshaw for Moult and Aarons. I wouldn't be surprised to see another winger since we still have Efford's spot to fill.

I feel we're short in midfield though, and not particularly versatile there.

21 minutes ago, Yabba's Turd said:

My Gills supporting mates have labelled Mandron a 'wage thief', however he's partly our wage thief now so let's back him for a bit.

From what i heard he was deprived off opertunities at goal and wasnt involved in games soundsawfully similar to KVV in that respect

23 hours ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Genuine question but what do you think we should be doing? And from what leagues and teams do you think we should be looking to sign from?

Unsurprised by a few of the banger comments on my post. However since you have posed a sensible question, here a just a couple of examples for you:

Aberdeen have 21-year old midfielder Leighton Clarkson on loan from Liverpool.

St Johnstone have 20-year old left-back Adam Montgomery on loan from Celtic.

I know our “scouts” can’t be everywhere but surely we should be looking at these kind of players.

And why have we not tried to “partner-up” with an English Premiership club with a view to accessing some of their promising young players on loan?

5 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Unsurprised by a few of the banger comments on my post. However since you have posed a sensible question, here a just a couple of examples for you:

I know our “scouts” can’t be everywhere but surely we should be looking at these kind of players.

And why have we not tried to “partner-up” with an English Premiership club with a view to accessing some of their promising young players on loan?

good points EL Grew    if you look back i v been asking the same question on here, for some reason we are always on the coos tail  with these advantages, or maybe we dont / cant progress players to the standards there parent clubs expect 

14 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Merit in what you say although I’m not sure I’d hold up the St Johnstone signing as some sort of virtue.

Too many variables, costs to loan are beyond some means & proposed partnerships only reduce the rates slightly. It is what it is.

45 minutes ago, El Grew said:

What sort of wage do you think the 21 year old from Liverpool is on ???

Even if we agreed to pay half of it … … it would still be at least double what we’re paying our top earner 

Money talks … … and we don’t have any 

10 hours ago, El Grew said:

I would agree that from your post there is sense in recruiting the following 

- young players with a point to prove at clubs at a greater level than us (ie Liverpool and Celtic) albeit you will have fans saying we shouldn’t be a breeding ground for competitor clubs 

- players released from clubs bigger than us with a point to prove

- players from a league standard below us that are deemed the best in that league ie nisbet when he was at Dunfermline going to hibs 

given budget constraints to which are pretty tight this season profile of players and their ambition is massive in recruiting players who can make a difference 

9 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

What sort of wage do you think the 21 year old from Liverpool is on ???

Even if we agreed to pay half of it … … it would still be at least double what we’re paying our top earner 

Money talks … … and we don’t have any 

Wages even for these young players are a massive constraint tho as welwell91 points out 

recruitment for a club our size is far more difficult than we as fans imagine

6 players min is what we require in jan. However I suspect that won’t happen unless we move players on

who wants players tho that are failing at a club our size? 1st div /2nd div? Perhaps? But why would an in contract player move there?

more to recruitment than we all think

We made a fatal mistake when GA arrived by signing players on 3 year contracts supposedly to be building a team sorry those days are long gone we need to be constantly changing the team each year only keeping those players who show potential on longer deals so we can recoup by selling.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

We made a fatal mistake when GA arrived by signing players on 3 year contracts supposedly to be building a team sorry those days are long gone we need to be constantly changing the team each year only keeping those players who show potential on longer deals so we can recoup by selling.

And the second fatal mistake was extending his contract against all common sense. 

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

Trouble with shorter 2 year deals is that any player showing promise after year 1 usually doesn’t want to sign an extension so either has to be sold - normally on the cheap - before he leaves on a free or we accept that we’re getting no money for him and hope he doesn’t decide to see out the last 6 months without injuring himself.  

13 hours ago, Coatsy said:

Some times though offering a longer contract is what gets the player to sign for us over similar or even better wage offers from other clubs.

If you look at lower league clubs who are often completely or almost completely rebuilding their squads each season most of them struggle most of the time and quite a few of them have disappeared into non league football.

• David locked this topic