2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Penney seems to have had his head turned by something since the turn of the year. He was excellent until then. 

I think it’s probably more the general regression of the team, he’s not the only one.

43 minutes ago, smiddy said:

yip but if he needs to play then put him there oot the road its ONLY arbroath :)      but ffs the next league game is away to st midden  maybe big curtis main will rag doll him next if he plays cb

Did he not play left back at Morton?

55 minutes ago, supermarv said:

We lose our first team left back. Okay let’s not go out and replace him with the wages freed up with a competent left back let’s do what we’ve done so far and let back up players take starting spots which have gotten us into this mess. 

On Penney he’s been outstanding best left back we’ve had actually since hammell hung up the boots. Maybe with an exception of his last 2 games but playing next to lamie will make anyone look poor.

Hi pal, I will happily see us sign a replacement left back, my point was only based on what we have in the squad.  Personally I wish we could turn back the clock 30 years and get another rob McKinnon, legend

SOD has been fine at lb when used there, but Lamie is not the answer there, he got roasted out there when Robinson tried it, and sticking players completely out of position isn't going to be the answer, especially when they're enough of a liability in their preferred role.  I don't think Blaney is a fit either, as he doesn't have the oace. Shifting to a back 3 could help in the interim, but I don't see that happening.

I'd prefer we got another LB in if Penney is gone. It would definitely be another loan since we have a couple of lbs on contracts right now.

Who's our u18s left back?

Why did we sign this Blaney guy.  I hope it was not on the strength of two games against us and a wonder free kick. The money paying him and a bit more could have been used on an experienced leader that we are crying out for at centre defence. (If we could find one)

Whether he's not fit, not up to match sharpness yet, or shite, we don't know. However, you also have to pay the guys that are on the bench, and ideally the bench players aren't children.

The window isn't over, and we have no control over the order players come in. As mentioned before, we have to wait for other dominoes to fall before our targets become available, and I'd rather we did that than get impatient and sign Michel parker and daragh o'connor types. If we haven't improved our defence by the end of the month, that's when I'll be having a go. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2023 at 9:52 PM, Dossertillidie2 said:

I would agree that from your post there is sense in recruiting the following 

- young players with a point to prove at clubs at a greater level than us (ie Liverpool and Celtic) albeit you will have fans saying we shouldn’t be a breeding ground for competitor clubs 

- players released from clubs bigger than us with a point to prove

- players from a league standard below us that are deemed the best in that league ie nisbet when he was at Dunfermline going to hibs 

given budget constraints to which are pretty tight this season profile of players and their ambition is massive in recruiting players who can make a difference 

English National League should be looked at

15 hours ago, pretzel said:

Regarding Penney, was it not mentioned that his future would be addressed post County game? He's a player I actually really liked but judging on his last two outings if he feels the need to move on I won't shed a tear.

He's certainly went back the way defensively.

13 hours ago, sinjy said:

Why did we sign this Blaney guy.  I hope it was not on the strength of two games against us and a wonder free kick. The money paying him and a bit more could have been used on an experienced leader that we are crying out for at centre defence. (If we could find one)

I'd imagine it's a fitness thing - League of Ireland is a summer league, so he's likely still going through a post or pre-season type recovery.

2 hours ago, Kris-A-Goalda said:

I'd imagine it's a fitness thing - League of Ireland is a summer league, so he's likely still going through a post or pre-season type recovery.

I know players fitness vary from one to the other, but St Mirren signed a young defender from the second tier of the Irish league and he went straight into the side and has played two games already for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply a case of Hammell viewing Lamie and Sol as our strongest centre back partnership and just hoping they will eventually click, but after the Hibs debacle both were deserving of a spell on the sidelines. I wouldn't be surprised however to see Blaney against Arbroath.

27 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I know players fitness vary from one to the other, but St Mirren signed a young defender from the second tier of the Irish league and he went straight into the side and has played two games already for them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's simply a case of Hammell viewing Lamie and Sol as our strongest centre back partnership and just hoping they will eventually click, but after the Hibs debacle both were deserving of a spell on the sidelines. I wouldn't be surprised however to see Blaney against Arbroath.

I'd say that there'd be a different demand on the players of a team that finished second in the FAI second tier and a team that played in Europe the same season, but again it's all down to the player's prep.

Also, just as there are pedants on here about calling the SPFL the SPL and suchlike, "Irish League" would be in reference to the NIFL Northern Irish Football League - Blaney and Taylor came to Scotland from "League of Ireland" teams.

6 minutes ago, David said:

If Penney is away, he must fancy another loan move closer to home, because he's not making a dent in that Ipswich team. He's third choice at best.

Also depends on whether or not he gets to choose. His parent club might be getting a better financial deal with a different loan club (or maybe even have a chance to sell him), and they have a lot of control where their players end up.

• Like 1

According to the Daily Ranger, Penney's loan spell expired after the County game. Obviously Hammell has mentioned he wanted to extend it but going by what the Ipswich gaffer is saying I wouldn't be surprised if they want some dosh from someone for his services.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/9975500/transfer-news-live-rangers-celtic-hibs-hearts-aberdeen/

English interest

By Colin Duncan

PRESTON are tracking Motherwell midfielder Dean Cornelius. 

The English Championship outfit have had him watched several times already this season. 

Cornelius is out of contract in May and is free to talk with interested parties. 

Cornelius' contract expires this summer
Cornelius' contract expires this summerCredit: SNS

Preston, currently two points off the play-off places, are keen to bolster their squad this month. 

But, it’s understood they would prefer to wait until the summer and pick Cornelius up for nothing. 

The 21-year-old came through the youth ranks at Hibs before moving to Fir Park. 

Motherwell are keen to keep him but no agreement has yet been reached. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

If any truth then surely we would be due a development fee? Can we not offer them Spittal instead?

the article says theyve watched him several times , they wont be bidding anything based on what hes done so far... not saying there isnt a player there but hes done nothing to merit any interest yet. Agent pish.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

the article says theyve watched him several times , they wont be bidding anything based on what hes done so far... not saying there isnt a player there but hes done nothing to merit any interest yet. Agent pish.

😂 A lot more to recruitment than you think. But, aye, agent pish is an easy out right enough.

Young Cornelius might not be world class, but there's a good player in him. I don't think he's been given a fair chance given some other midfielders who get picked regardless. He's also not been played to his strengths. That's all down to management. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Young Cornelius might not be world class, but there's a good player in him. I don't think he's been given a fair chance given some other midfielders who get picked regardless. He's also not been played to his strengths. That's all down to management. 

I agree pal, I would have him in team ahead of spittal and Goss who is creating hee haw at the moment 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

You touch on another slightly baffling element of the current regime. When Hammell was appointed, I naively assumed that this would be good news for Cornelius, Maguire and other youngsters that were knocking on the door. It’s been quite the opposite unfortunately.

In the case of Cornelius, it looks to me that Hammell prefers midfielders who are more comfortable at receiving and moving the ball. Which is a shame as we clearly need a tenacious and energetic midfielder to compliment our ‘ballers’ and the one man at the club with those attributes has yet to be regularly played in a midfield role that allows him to develop and maximise his impact.  

8 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

You touch on another slightly baffling element of the current regime. When Hammell was appointed, I naively assumed that this would be good news for Cornelius, Maguire and other youngsters that were knocking on the door. It’s been quite the opposite unfortunately.

In the case of Cornelius, it looks to me that Hammell prefers midfielders who are more comfortable at receiving and moving the ball. Which is a shame as we clearly need a tenacious and energetic midfielder to compliment our ‘ballers’ and the one man at the club with those attributes has yet to be regularly played in a midfield role that allows him to develop and maximise his impact.  

Yep. As I’ve said elsewhere, Hammy’s seemingly blind allegiance to the supposed senior professionals will see us relegated. 

• David locked this topic