2022/23 ins & outs discussion

David

10 hours ago, star sail said:

I think unfortunately it shows just how poor the standard is in the top division of Scottish Football.

If the top teams in Scotland were truly professional, results like tonight would never happen. It is a fairytale result for Darvel but embarrassing for Scottish Football in general.

Could Motherwell ever beat Barcelona? 

No. It would never happen and that would be two full time professional teams playing each other. The gulf between a Junior Team  and a full time team in Scotland should be as big as that but it is not. As fans we accept the mediocrity in the professional game in Scotland all to readily.

Most worryingly of all Darvel looked the better team throughout. That was no fluke result.

Think it shows some guys get a break to make it professionally, some if the darvel guys looked better " footballers " than Aberdeen players, sliding doors , if you like .

Darvel are probably a better team than Sligo so we can't get too cocky. Still funny, tbh, don't think Goodwin is a bad manager, but a bit like Jack Ross, maybe destined for a life of punditry.

Well done to Darvel. Possibly one of the biggest cup upsets in Scottish football history.

To put things in perspective though, I'd like to compare their wage bill, and those of several other non senior league teams, with those of Divison 1 or 2 clubs.

Let's be honest there is no way premiershipship sides should be losing to non league part time teams, Darvel rode their luck last night, a big deflection for their goal, an Aberdeen goal flagged offside, when Clarkson was a yard on,  combined with Aberdeen being embarrassingly bad gave them the result.

As we saw ourselves against Sligo if your attitude on the day is as bad as your play then you get nothing, this applies to any team you play, not just the lower and non league teams.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Let's be honest there is no way premiershipship sides should be losing to non league part time teams, Darvel rode their luck last night, a big deflection for their goal, an Aberdeen goal flagged offside, when Clarkson was a yard on,  combined with Aberdeen being embarrassingly bad gave them the result.

As we saw ourselves against Sligo if your attitude on the day is as bad as your play then you get nothing, this applies to any team you play, not just the lower and non league teams.

Think that's harsh on darvel, a few of their players could easily have been in that Aberdeen team had they chosen a different path.

43 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Think that's harsh on darvel, a few of their players could easily have been in that Aberdeen team had they chosen a different path.

No it's not, yes there are a few of the Darvel team that have played for league teams but they are part time and at Darvel because they were not good enough to play at a higher level and make a living solely as a pro footballer the WOS premier league is their level.

31 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

No it's not, yes there are a few of the Darvel team that have played for league teams but they are part time and at Darvel because they were not good enough to play at a higher level and make a living solely as a pro footballer the WOS premier league is their level.

Think you’ll find the Darvel are paying better wages than most League 1 and League 2 teams. The majority of their players are playing there for the money 

31 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Having watched a lot of Lowland League football I would say that would easily be their current level but I think they would probably do OK in the 2nd division.

Another Gretna in the making perhaps with the amount of cash thats being pumped into them by Mr Killie Pie.

38 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Obviously don’t know much about the lower league game then. Just as an example Darvels right back was in league 2 team of the season last season and very easily could’ve steeped up the ladder. They throw silly money at it but create a good atmosphere with good characters. The players you claim “aren’t good enough for a higher level” some of them dropped down to Darvel from the likes of Falkirk, Ayr, East Fife due to money there manager owns Black Rooster and their chairman has Killie Pie, QTS are massive sponsors too.

As has been seen and proven by the likes of Cove and Kelty these teams down in the lower leagues can put compete and out pay other clubs above them. So could many more clubs, however before slating Darvel do a bit of research, they also played brilliantly and deserved the win.

51 minutes ago, supermarv said:

As has been seen and proven by the likes of Cove and Kelty these teams down in the lower leagues can put compete and out pay other clubs above them. So could many more clubs, however before slating Darvel do a bit of research, they also played brilliantly and deserved the win.

I don't watch lower league football tbh but I was just wondering have the likes of Cove, Kelty and Darvel generally always been better at paying wages than some of the professional league sides or have has this come about since the introduction of the pyramid system. I remember tagging along to an East Kilbride game five years ago and noticed Craig Reid playing for them only a few seasons after being with us, plus they had a few other recognisable names.

2 hours ago, pretzel said:

I don't watch lower league football tbh but I was just wondering have the likes of Cove, Kelty and Darvel generally always been better at paying wages than some of the professional league sides or have has this come about since the introduction of the pyramid system. I remember tagging along to an East Kilbride game five years ago and noticed Craig Reid playing for them only a few seasons after being with us, plus they had a few other recognisable names.

All 3 of the above have serious money men behind them.

If you believe the rumours some of the Darvel guys are reputed to be on upwards of £250 a week, 5 years ago they were in the bottom league of the old Juniors and didn't pay their players.

A wee peek into the WOSL forum in P&B is very enlightening.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supermarv said:

Obviously don’t know much about the lower league game then. Just as an example Darvels right back was in league 2 team of the season last season and very easily could’ve steeped up the ladder. They throw silly money at it but create a good atmosphere with good characters. The players you claim “aren’t good enough for a higher level” some of them dropped down to Darvel from the likes of Falkirk, Ayr, East Fife due to money there manager owns Black Rooster and their chairman has Killie Pie, QTS are massive sponsors too.

They still should not be beating Aberdeen. The problem for me is that Aberdeen did not go into the game with the correct mental attitude. You could apply the same argument to our defeat against Sligo. It is a lack of professionalism that seems to show itself time and again in Scotland and seems to be excused time and again.

We seem more than happy at times to make excuses for the teams in the top division, the classic being ' it is too early in the season' when Scottish teams get dumped out of Europe in July by part time European minnows. 

A team of tradesman, fisherman, bank managers and school teachers should never be beating a full time professional football team at any time of the year.

To try and masquerade this post as an ins and Outs discussion ( sorry Melvin), would we sign any of those Darvel players for Motherwell? Probably not. 

29 minutes ago, star sail said:

They still should not be beating Aberdeen. The problem for me is that Aberdeen did not go into the game with the correct mental attitude. You could apply the same argument to our defeat against Sligo. It is a lack of professionalism that seems to show itself time and again in Scotland and seems to be excused time and again.

We seem more than happy at times to make excuses for the teams in the top division, the classic being ' it is too early in the season' when Scottish teams get dumped out of Europe in July by part time European minnows. 

A team of tradesman, fisherman, bank managers and school teachers should never be beating a full time professional football team at any time of the year.

To try and masquerade this post as an ins and Outs discussion ( sorry Melvin), would we sign any of those Darvel players for Motherwell? Probably not. 

Of course. No way they should be beating Aberdeen. But their team could easily compete in league 1 if playing at that level every week so could a few others in lowland etc.

They’ve stepped up there game and Aberdeen went in with the wrong attitude these surprises happen luckily it wasn’t us this time.

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

As it's in and outs discussion can we borrow Darvel Manager to do pre match team talks?  Was a belter last night

A bit ****ing short of ****ing explet-****ing*ives compared to ****ing Hammel's ****ing team ****ing talk in the ****ing Arbroath ****ing game.

20 hours ago, santheman said:

tbh I'm not in the slightest bit surprised at the result, even put a speculative tenner on them last week at 45/1

I watch quite a bit of the WOSL when the 'Well arent playing and have seen Darvel 4 times this season.

Packed full of players with senior experience and they're no mugs.

It could quite easily have been us.

Even better one of their coaches is a diehard 'Well fan.

ah you must be refering to the man in the track suit on the back pages of the paper   SD

• David locked this topic