Motherwell v Livingston 20/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Although I wasn't at the game today I'm really pleased with the  win.  As we know, Livy are good at what they do: stifling, smothering and strangling the opposition. Hence games against them are rarely classic affairs. We were always going to have to grind out a result today...... and we did. Hammy will need more time to mould the players into his style and we'll probably need to add to our firepower before the window closes.  Games against this type of opposition who come to FP to sit in and park the bus and/or frustrate us will be a continuing test this season. So, its work in progress.

I haven't seen any of the main incidents on TV yet but will no doubt do so in the next few hours.

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

That looks like an improvement.  If we keep brining through youth and try to play entertaining footy we could continue to make modest improvements.

Equally bring back summer footy, the sunshine is more likely to bring people out than suffering what Dec-Feb weather has to offer. 

38 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

That looks like an improvement.  If we keep brining through youth and try to play entertaining footy we could continue to make modest improvements.

Equally bring back summer footy, the sunshine is more likely to bring people out than suffering what Dec-Feb weather has to offer. 

When they moved to summer footy in Irelamd the attemdances didn't increase. 

It also causes issues like where (or how) to train when pre-season is in the winter. 

And there would be no chance we could have done all the pitch renovations over the last few years in the winter rather than the summer. Even the stadium updates would have been difficult. 

The best way to avoid winter games is a shorter season. A league of 14 or 16 playing each other twice would let you have a winter shutdown and a summer break, but the clubs and most if the fans are against that due to potential loss of income. 

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

When they moved to summer footy in Irelamd the attemdances didn't increase. 

It also causes issues like where (or how) to train when pre-season is in the winter. 

And there would be no chance we could have done all the pitch renovations over the last few years in the winter rather than the summer. Even the stadium updates would have been difficult. 

The best way to avoid winter games is a shorter season. A league of 14 or 16 playing each other twice would let you have a winter shutdown and a summer break, but the clubs and most if the fans are against that due to potential loss of income. 

Some greats points there weeyin, can't see anyone voting for less income. 

For now hoping more solid performances continue to bring crowds back to Fir Park. 

Tend to be 4.5k- 5.5k per average depending on how well we're doing.  Almost 20 years since (04/05  we had almost 7k per game) 

Would we have attracted a crowd of 5,160 had GA still been at our helm? I doubt it. Maybe 1,000 less? In that respect the club has brought in a few thousand pounds extra that will help, in a small way, to offset GA's pay off, whatever it was.  Every little helps.

Just watched the match highlights and I have to say it was never a penalty, the ref had no view and I suspect the linesman who had a limited view at best said it was so we were very fortunate to get it Livi can rightly feel hard done by.

That said it's about time we had a few descions go our way so no doubt it will even itself out over the season and we will have a dodgy pen against us at some point.

50 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just watched the match highlights and I have to say it was never a penalty, the ref had no view and I suspect the linesman who had a limited view at best said it was so we were very fortunate to get it Livi can rightly feel hard done by.

That said it's about time we had a few descions go our way so no doubt it will even itself out over the season and we will have a dodgy pen against us at some point.

Livingstone got what they put into game….nothing. 

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Loads of people sitting down in that corner said they saw it hit his arm. 

None of the TV angles were clear which is why we shouldn't be doing VAR. 

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Loads of people sitting down in that corner said they saw it hit his arm. 

None of the TV angles were clear which is why we shouldn't be doing VAR. 

I think if you ever want a reason for var it’s this weekend, some dreadful decisions across the Scottish games.

I can't wait til VAR the amount of BS the old firm have got away with has been unreal while playing at Ibrox and Parkhead.

I do expect out card count to go up lol but I can't stress this enough when you have officials like Willie Gollum in charge of the VAR it's going to be even worse.

Mugabi's Red Card Vs Hibs  last season in cup prime example.

VAR will still be run by the same incompetents we have now. It will be used to benefit the OF more. With 40k seething mutants screaming about every decision and demanding var, and the constant media pressure in the uglies favour, the VAR folk will go out of their way to appease the masses. It's not going to be the leveller some are hoping for.

They'll have a work experience student looking at motherwell v livi games, since there's nothing at stake for them.

14 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I can't wait til VAR the amount of BS the old firm have got away with has been unreal while playing at Ibrox and Parkhead.

I do expect out card count to go up lol but I can't stress this enough when you have officials like Willie Gollum in charge of the VAR it's going to be even worse.

Mugabi's Red Card Vs Hibs  last season in cup prime example.

All I'm looking for an improvement in consistency. All too often a player a red carded for example, whilst in another game the cuplrit is only yellow carded or even let off scot free for an identical offence.

I think (hope) it will eliminate obvious dreadful offside calls and blatant incidents  that our officials somehow manage to miss. As for incidents where it’s a judgement call like red or yellow, was it a foul or not for a penalty, I fear those will go the OF way as mentioned but that may just be paranoia on my part.  We should have our VAR teams outside of Scotland. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

VAR will still be run by the same incompetents we have now. It will be used to benefit the OF more. With 40k seething mutants screaming about every decision and demanding var, and the constant media pressure in the uglies favour, the VAR folk will go out of their way to appease the masses. It's not going to be the leveller some are hoping for.

They'll have a work experience student looking at motherwell v livi games, since there's nothing at stake for them.

The thing that really bothers me about VAR is that basically every goal is going to be checked so for me that takes a lot of the raw emotion out of the game.  There was an example yesterday down south in the Crystal Palace game, I think it was Crystal Palace anyway, where they scored, crowd went crazy, everyone celebrating and then quite a bit later it gets chopped off for the most marginal offside you'll ever see.

I think it's really important we don't lose the 'feeling' of the game.  I'd actually rather be cheated here and there than lose the enjoyment of watching football overall.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The thing that really bothers me about VAR is that basically every goal is going to be checked so for me that takes a lot of the raw emotion out of the game.  There was an example yesterday down south in the Crystal Palace game, I think it was Crystal Palace anyway, where they scored, crowd went crazy, everyone celebrating and then quite a bit later it gets chopped off for the most marginal offside you'll ever see.

I think it's really important we don't lose the 'feeling' of the game.  I'd actually rather be cheated here and there than lose the enjoyment of watching football overall.

That’s my feelings about VAR too. Every single goal you score you are going to be diluting your celebrations to an extent to wait to see if it’s actually going to stand. Even yesterday our goal was a penalty, but Efford had encroached into the box before van Veen actually struck the ball, so in that scenario VAR would have intervened and ordered a re-take.

Obviously it’s going to be a good feeling/a good GIRUY to the opposition if the decision goes our way, but that definitely takes some of the enjoyment out of the game.

With offside with VAR there is still a ref deciding which frame to freeze it on and where to draw the line so it's just more variables that will go in favour of the Old Firm. 

In the South Africa Vs Wales rugby test last month the ref yellow carded a Welsh player and was hammered by the commentators and media who were adamant he got it wrong based on replays. Two weeks later another angle was found from pitchside which vindicated the ref which just shows that you can't rely on TV pictures as they are 2D and depth is an illusion.