Kilmarnock v Motherwell 27/08/2022

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, Richie said:

Poor subs sterted it tbh.
No need to bring on Morris and Efford.
We were relatively comfortable.
Have completely lost the midfield

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I disagree the pattern of the game was running away from us and he tried to change it just didnt work it made no difference. Kilmarnock had us running about like headless chickens from 30 mins onwards well before the subs.

2 hours ago, spudmfc said:

Does his business..r u serious,he scored a good goal but his touch n build up play was pretty poor,he was in great positions but was just to selfish

100% agree the only thing keeping his head above water are the goals. Taking the ball off him far too easy , nearly always fails to play the man in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

He played Efford and Tierney in in the second half and we came away with nothing. Shields ballsed up a 1 on 1 as well. 

Im not knocking the guy as,such,i appreciate wot he gives us but i think he could give more,though he doesnt have a tony watt round about him

I do despair sometimes on here. After last week we had 9/12 pts.  We lose today and then it's ahhh we were lucky v st Mirren and got jammie pen v Livi.  This is a long term project and just imagine the position if GA was still in charge.  I have a good feeling we are on the right tracks...keep the faith 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I do despair sometimes on here. After last week we had 9/12 pts.  We lose today and then it's ahhh we were lucky v st Mirren and got jammie pen v Livi.  This is a long term project and just imagine the position if GA was still in charge.  I have a good feeling we are on the right tracks...keep the faith 

And that’s no joke 

• Thanks 1

One loss on a totally shite pitch ,with a brand new manager. Who’s still getting to grips with being a first team manager and players getting used to new ideas on how he wants them to play.  Give the team at least two minutes to get settled.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stv said:

One loss on a totally shite pitch ,with a brand new manager. Who’s still getting to grips with being a first team manager and players getting used to new ideas on how he wants them to play.  Give the team at least two minutes to get settled.

Well said (no pun intended)

Wow! I feel like I was at a different game today!

For the first 30 mins I thoroughly enjoyed the way we were playing and thought we were bossing the game. My Kilmarnock supporting mates agreed. They thought they were in for a hiding. But Killie grew into the game and finished the 2nd half stronger and we were a little fortunate to go in at half time still in the lead.

2nd half McInnes tweaked things and Killie had more of the play and created some good chances, but I felt we were still dangerous on the counter and but for some poor decision making in the final third could have had the 2nd goal that would have made us comfortable.

I thought at the time of the substitutions we did need to make some. But I felt they were the wrong ones.

Cornelius, for me, was having a good game and we missed his energy big time when he went off. Efford for Shields is a natural replacement but Morris for Cornelius just didnt work. I could have seen the point ifhe had brought Morris on for Spittal as they are more similar in their role and Spittal probably isnt quite there yet fitness wise.

The 2nd one I couldnt get was Slattery for Maguire. We were under pressure and needed ball retention. Slattery is just more composed on the ball than Maguire so I couldnt get my head around that one at all despite how tired Slattery may or may not have been.

Ultimately we got what we deserved in the end for some poor defending and bad decision making. But losing today felt a million miles away from the losses under GA.

The body language from the players is night and day from where it was before. We still have many things needing fixing. But we are headed in the right direction.

This is a  team I can be enthusiastic about again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Morris managed 3 simple passes two of which went backwards, lost possession twice and  underhit (another) cross in 33 minutes today. Absolutely chronic.

Morris can’t be trusted with the ball, even when he made simple passes there were better options.  His run when we had the break with Efford was abysmal for an experienced player, he ran into an area where Efford couldn’t get the ball to him. I’d rather see a youngster get a chance than waste time on him. 

10 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Wow! I feel like I was at a different game today!

For the first 30 mins I thoroughly enjoyed the way we were playing and thought we were bossing the game. My Kilmarnock supporting mates agreed. They thought they were in for a hiding. But Killie grew into the game and finished the 2nd half stronger and we were a little fortunate to go in at half time still in the lead.

2nd half McInnes tweaked things and Killie had more of the play and created some good chances, but I felt we were still dangerous on the counter and but for some poor decision making in the final third could have had the 2nd goal that would have made us comfortable.

I thought at the time of the substitutions we did need to make some. But I felt they were the wrong ones.

Cornelius, for me, was having a good game and we missed his energy big time when he went off. Efford for Shields is a natural replacement but Morris for Cornelius just didnt work. I could have seen the point ifhe had brought Morris on for Spittal as they are more similar in their role and Spittal probably isnt quite there yet fitness wise.

The 2nd one I couldnt get was Slattery for Maguire. We were under pressure and needed ball retention. Slattery is just more composed on the ball than Maguire so I couldnt get my head around that one at all despite how tired Slattery may or may not have been.

Ultimately we got what we deserved in the end for some poor defending and bad decision making. But losing today felt a million miles away from the losses under GA.

The body language from the players is night and day from where it was before. We still have many things needing fixing. But we are headed in the right direction.

This is a  team I can be enthusiastic about again.

Good post and similar thoughts to mine.i thought we started the game well and eventually scored a really well worked goal but after that we seemed to drop about 5 yards back and we're happy to just sit in and look to defend,I actually think if we had scored a second we would have won that comfortably.if you sit in to defend more often than not it will come back to bite you and that's what happened to us,especially as we still look to be dodgy at centre half,that's some poor goals we have already conceded this season.the subs that got brought on were dire,especially efford and morris,neither offered anything and we were far worse when they came on the park, hopefully hammell gets in the striker and winger that he wants and get mckinstry upto speed we will have far better options to choose from.despite the defeat I think we're heading in the right direction,if we can somehow make ourselves a bit harder to score against them I think we can have a good season.im actually looking forward to our next game already,I never thought I would be saying that after the sligo games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Morris managed 3 simple passes two of which went backwards, lost possession twice and  underhit (another) cross in 33 minutes today. Absolutely chronic.

Not a fan. Don’t see what he offers. Turns back on himself far too much for me and barely know he’s playing anytime I have seen him

always felt we desperately need a new centre half and today confirmed it for me 

Overall we’re progressing as a squad , specifically vs the pre season .

we knew then what we know now , we need to bolder the squad .

every game this season we could have both won and lost , very fine lines and little between the teams we’ve played .

we don’t have enough quality to be brilliant every game and don’t yet have enough quality on the bench - we need to invest in out attacking options 

7 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Overall we’re progressing as a squad , specifically vs the pre season .

we knew then what we know now , we need to bolder the squad .

every game this season we could have both won and lost , very fine lines and little between the teams we’ve played .

we don’t have enough quality to be brilliant every game and don’t yet have enough quality on the bench - we need to invest in out attacking options 

It definitely is fine margins in most games throughout the season,really poor defending has cost us against st Johnstone and then again today,we were excellent at pittodrie but still gave away two soft goals,thankfully we fell on the right side of the line that day and got a result.its small steps but I think we're moving in the right direction but we simply have to tighten up at the back,I hope today also shows that we don't need to sit off the opposition and invite pressure,we can cause plenty of problems going the other way.snodgrass would be a bonus at this stage though I don't see it happening but I think we will sign a couple of attackers whatever happens, hopefully mckinstry just missed out today and we can get him some minutes against Inverness.

Apart from to our goal , we were good , stretching them and applying good pressure on every ball , soon as we got in front something changed. Mentality, strength , but we shat our  pants rest of game , nothing  really offering a danger up front even  in breaks of 3 v 3 ! 
Kilmarnock ( bottom before the game ) over ran us , couldn’t argue with 5-1 we were that !

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

100% agree the only thing keeping his head above water are the goals. Taking the ball off him far too easy , nearly always fails to play the man in. 

Really??  So what’s keeping the rest of the squads’ head above water then!

58 minutes ago, mfc said:

It definitely is fine margins in most games throughout the season,really poor defending has cost us against st Johnstone and then again today,

Very true. We've won some tight games but also lost some. Over the course of the season, our defence is going to cost us unless some changes, however unlikely they may be, are made.

Hammy made some mistakes today, and being a rookie manager he'll make a lot more, but we knew that. As others have said the substitutions killed us. I get what he's trying to do - bring on fresh legs and energy but we currently don't have the players to do allow us to do that. I just don't see how Maguire and Morris would have provided that. 

Today also showed the pressing need to bring in some fresh faces in all departments, especially up front and in defence, although the latter is unlikely. 

I think todays match was a very poor showing the 2 goals we gave away were very soft and that needs rectafying.

However on a positive before we took  the lead we we're playing some decent stuff compared to the dross we had under the previous regime.

I also think it highlited our need for another CB , sitting midfielder and a Rw to bolster our options and if we can stretch for it a back up for KVV would be great.