Ross County v Motherwell now Tuesday 04/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

52 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Almost definitely. Possibly even next weekends games too, depending on when the funeral is held.

Potentially means we won't play again until October which is a month already jam packed with fixtures, not much wiggle room esph with the World Cup cutting in mid season. 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Me not being utterly devastated that a 96 year old wealth hoarding paedophile protector who wears a £35,000,000 hat for fun while children up and down the country starve doesn’t somehow make me a Celtic fan.

No it make you a tosser. Fuck off with your political views it’s a football forum.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Well, it’s now been confirmed that the Queen has passed away. 

I’m not getting into any pro or anti debate as this thread is not the time or place for it. However from a purely footballing perspective, I would expect Saturday’s game to be off, indeed it almost certainly will be.

Seen some chat online about the next 2 weeks domestic league games being postponed, nothing official  though, presumably we will get confirmation  from the SFA/SPFL tomorrow.

41 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Without wishing to be that guy, I'm assuming all pubs, nightclubs, theatres and cinemas will be closed for the next two weeks then? All concerts postponed? If not then the question would have to be why are only fans of live sport being asked to show respect? 

Fair point. I remember being very pissed off when Killie v Motherwell was postponed because Princess Di had died. 

I guess because most pubs don’t have anywhere between 1000 and 60000 people celebrating or otherwise.  Just more visible. 

Anyway we shall see. Funeral likely to be the same day we play Hearts so that will be postponed for sure. 

11 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Fair point. I remember being very pissed off when Killie v Motherwell was postponed because Princess Di had died. 

I guess because most pubs don’t have anywhere between 1000 and 60000 people celebrating or otherwise.  Just more visible. 

Anyway we shall see. Funeral likely to be the same day we play Hearts so that will be postponed for sure. 

Not sure if they'll close the theatres of the  West End for the next two weeks. And I'd bet any concerts in the O2 aren't postponed or cancelled. If I'm wrong and they do that, fair enough...

Honestly could not give a toss if we don’t have a game at the weekend, or next weekend 

Not a royalist at all and far from it,  and the blue half of Glasgow especially make my blood boil, but if there no football this weekend it will at least stop people embarassing themselves and being disrespectful 

• Like 2

I'm in the opposite camp. Maybe I've been in the US for too long, but being told when to mourn, for how long, and how to behave rubs me the wrong way. (Ironically the instruction will come from those who normally rail against the "Nanny State").

If you want to have a national day of mourning for the funeral then have at it, but whether you are pro, anti or indifferent to the Royals, forced, extended and selective cancelations all seem a bit excessive to me.  People that are going to embarrass themselves and be disrespectful will have no problem doing that before, during and after the no-sport period.

Thankfully, lack of football aside, I'll be able to avoid most of it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Anybody got the day off today? Are pubs shutting? Restaurants? Takeaways?

All the pubs on the Isle of Man have closed for 24 hours. Certainly some shops and small businesses are doing likewise.

https://twitter.com/TheMaltings/status/1568160108600868864

https://twitter.com/jodevizesbooks/status/1568149372734476289

https://twitter.com/andi_russell/status/1568155032041783299

https://www.theindustry.fashion/selfridges-and-liberty-among-stores-to-remain-closed-today-as-a-mark-of-respect-for-the-queen/

etc.

8 minutes ago, numpty said:

Have they being told to close or have they taken this decision themselves? 

30 minutes ago, GrahamH said:

Have they being told to close or have they taken this decision themselves? 

Some will have been, of course. But I doubt the wee bookshops and suchlike were told. Or the individual branches of Tesco while others are staying open.

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The vitriol and sycophancy on display from both sides are equally nauseating. 

This is a football forum. Move on. 

Sadly, some cannot help themselves from making political point scoring. The death of the Queen was always going to result in extreme views either way.  But not on football forums is my take. 

I would like for the football to go ahead with a minute's silence.  But I suspect the authorities will worry that certain elements / supports will let Scottish Football down and that will be one of their key concerns. 

37 minutes ago, numpty said:

Some will have been, of course. But I doubt the wee bookshops and suchlike were told. Or the individual branches of Tesco while others are staying open.

IMO that’s the way it should be. All businesses and the general public should have the right to choose how they want to react to the Queen’s passing rather than being told. There will be those who are affected by it and want to pay respects and those who it barely even registers with and will only notice due to forced disruption to events and services.

37 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Sadly, some cannot help themselves from making political point scoring. The death of the Queen was always going to result in extreme views either way.  But not on football forums is my take. 

I would like for the football to go ahead with a minute's silence.  But I suspect the authorities will worry that certain elements / supports will let Scottish Football down and that will be one of their key concerns. 

My view is it will be what it will be, we survived the inability to go to games through covid, we will survive missing a Saturday and move on. 

16 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

My view is it will be what it will be, we survived the inability to go to games through covid, we will survive missing a Saturday and move on. 

17 days of mourning announced. Irrespective of your views, everyone surely expected this weekend would be cancelled. As long as that's it.