Celtic v Motherwell 01/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

We competed but lacked cutting edge. Our window was poor overall but the final three signings of McKinstry, Arrons and Moult have contributed nothing so far when we were crying out for 1 player to come in as a starter and give us more attacking threat. 

Onto a much more important game on Tuesday. 

It’s absolutely frightening to think that Alexander thought this group of players with the addition of Josh Morris would have been good enough this season. Especially as he had managed him previously. 

We’ll never know of course but I am certain that we would have either been relegated or been very close to it this season had Alexander been allowed to stay in charge.

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

We still might...

We well might yes, as the squad we have isn't great by any stretch. As I've said before there has been an upturn in the mood around the club since Hammell took over and if we can avoid 11th or 12th this season then we can build on that going forward. Our ineffectiveness up front is our biggest issue in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

We well might yes, as the squad we have isn't great by any stretch. As I've said before there has been an upturn in the mood around the club since Hammell took over and if we can avoid 11th or 12th this season then we can build on that going forward. Our ineffectiveness up front is our biggest issue in my opinion.

I didn’t expect it to improve today but I think the goals will come 

We didn't let them overrun us, and we found ways to make some chances for ourselves. I thought we might nick something at the end there, but it wasn't to be. The professional foul at the end did it's job.

They had some scrappy chances, but didn't carve us open, mainly because we were well organized and stuck to our plan. However we panicked every time we had the ball, especially in the first half. 

We really need Slattery back, hopefully he'll be in a position to return soon. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We didn't let them overrun us, and we found ways to make some chances for ourselves. I thought we might nick something at the end there, but it wasn't to be. The professional foul at the end did it's job.

They had some scrappy chances, but didn't carve us open, mainly because we were well organized and stuck to our plan. However we panicked every time we had the ball, especially in the first half. 

Yes, thought we handled the second half better. Maybe the players will take some hope from todays game that we can get a result in the cup 

52 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Any idea how long slats is out?

Predictable defeat but it could have been far worse.  Good to see that our new striker OG is starting to hit the net. Some of the squad were lucky to start, and I'm specifically thinking of Shields and  Maguire here.  Obviously Louis Moult and Stuart McKinstry aren't deemed fit enough to start. When will they be? Once again poor defending cost us.  Callum Slattery is proving to be a huge miss.

7 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I didn’t expect it to improve today but I think the goals will come 

From where? Kevin van veen penalties? Where else? For the record I like van veen but we are honking and this isn't all Alexanders fault like other posts have suggested. There are other spl teams that have more belief than we do and they get the results that we don't. Hammell was the wrong choice and this is going to bite us in the arse. For the record I hope Stevie proves me wrong but it's points that matter. St Mirren beat Celtic and we couldn't

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

From where? Kevin van veen penalties? Where else? For the record I like van veen but we are honking and this isn't all Alexanders fault like other posts have suggested. There are other spl teams that have more belief than we do and they get the results that we don't. Hammell was the wrong choice and this is going to bite us in the arse. For the record I hope Stevie proves me wrong but it's points that matter. St Mirren beat Celtic and we couldn't

KVV will start scoring. Moult will chip in with a few and others will add in.  Keep playing and making the amount of chances we have made and the goals will come. Long way to go in the season but I’m enjoying watching us again and I believe the goals will come. 

Decent enough showing by us,we didn't create much but we had a good shape about us when we weren't in possession.were moving in the right direction and that was another learning experience for the manager.we should definitely take confidence from that going into the cup game at home.

7 hours ago, wellgirl said:

Let's not start making st mirren to be some sort of benchmark just cause they got a result against celtic,fair play to them but they got celtic on an off day.time will tell if hammell was the wrong choice but anybody suggesting that now after a few games is having a laugh.van veen will get double figures again which is a good return,I wasn't sure about moult coming back but his brief outings so far are reasonably promising in the fact the he actually looks quite sharp,if we can get him in the right areas he will score a few.the wide areas are still a major concern,were getting nothing from either side.