St Johnstone v Motherwell 12/11/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Saturday will depend on how many fit players we can get on the pitch. Hammy said last night that we can add Mugabi, Tierney, McKinstrey and KVV to our injury list. Some might get their wish to see the young boys getting a start.

A clash of 2 complete opposites in footballing terms. My expectations and hopes for this game are very modest indeed.  We make St Johnstone work hard, no injuries or red cards and we see a young lad or two actually come on at some point as per Stevie Hammell's promise to promote youth (whatever happened to that BTW?).  If we can achieve that, I'll leave Perth happy on Saturday.  Ross County, Kilmarnock and Dundee United also losing will elevate my mood no end.

St Johnstone will do what they do.  They'll be very well organised; work very hard; be abrasive and competitve, and try to smother us, grinding us down.  We can't rely on them making a mistake.  However, entertaining football won't be on their agenda. Injuries will have an impact on our team selection and Shields may well have to start, with Moult coming on at some point. 

Hopefully the World Cup break will give us a filip, but I'm not counting on that. 

Longer term, if we're 10th or above or even 11th but competing in the mix come 3rd January, I'll be content. The January window will be huge for us, but make no mistake it will be very, very difficult to source and secure a number of much needed decent additions.  A lot is resting on that.

• Like 2

Needs to play Moult from the off hope he can last 45-60 mins score a goal and our midfield/defence turn into prime Italy you shall not pass!

January into February so much winnable points to pick up we have a good run of fixtures.

I don't even know what to say about Saturday other than hope for the best play like we did last 20 mins last night then yes defo come away with something.

27 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Given our growing injury list comprising the better of our players and our generally shite squad, I see St Johnstone winning this game.

It’s starting to feel like a bit of a ‘perfect storm’ for us this season with a shite squad, rookie manager, can’t do the basics and now injuries mounting up. Whatever team we are able to put out on Saturday it is a massive game for us and we need to win it.

We’ll have a better idea after the next three games where we are at but we really need to get points on the board otherwise relegation is a distinct possibility. I wouldn’t fancy this team in a proper all out relegation scrap towards the end of the season so we need to avoid that if atall possible.

I can't recall coming through a tougher spell of games.  Every week for the last few months it's felt like we're against Goliath , we've lost narrowly to teams with much bigger budgets.

The players and everyone at the club must be feeling the pain and struggle , in the same way we all have.

Typically I'm more interested in performance, seeing improvement.  To be honest I'd be delighted just to get 3 points, irrespective of how we do it.  

We need a shot in the arm, 3 points and a move up the league table will do just that. 

Would be very nice to sign off on a win, even a point wouldn’t be the worst.

One big push to get through then 5 or 6 weeks to get some injured players back and get Moult fully fit, what a great thing that would be. Gonna say 1-0 to us, Sean Goss with a ping. 

St Johnstone are in decent form.

Run of 4 unbeaten, with 3 wins and have only lost 1 in 5 home matches and that was against Celtic.

Having said that if everything went to form I'd be a lot richer.

Our injury issues are a bit concerning.

This is a game we really need to get something out of, even if it's only a draw.  We need to avoid St Johnstone going 7 pts ahead of us.

All our defeats have been by odd goal which doesn't make it any better but also we are not that far away.  I have been big critic but I would start shields through the middle as main striker, he ain't a winger so no point playing him there and KVV as lone striker is just not helping as hee haw work rate for him. if he's not fit then he shouldn't be starting. If things not going well bring him and Louis on for last half hour.

Let's finish up for mini break on a high  COYW

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Would be very nice to sign off on a win, even a point wouldn’t be the worst.

One big push to get through then 5 or 6 weeks to get some injured players back and get Moult fully fit, what a great thing that would be. Gonna say 1-0 to us, Sean Goss with a ping. 

You really love Sean Goss 

After disappointment of last night this might cheer you all up.  Heading back last night with my 2 mates and mates lad. Can't remember who I was talking about but I said they "weren't the brightest tool in the box"!!!, Think I got my sayings mixed up.   Reminiscent of Softie Philliben back in 1994 after Dundee utd cup tie saying it gives us "another crack at the cherry".  Heh he 

A strange fixture in the context of the season, given our injuries, poor run of results and the impending break. It almost has the feeling of a free hit.  If we win, then great result. If we lose, disappointment but the hard work that is required during the break and leading up to the January window  remains and three points, one way or another, are not going to change that.

Having said that, a win would  be most welcome from a short term moral point of view, both for the players and fans, so COYW!

Tough game in store no doubt. Usually always a difficult place to go, struggling for form, massive injury concerns, they have a good run of form going, I bet we end up pumping them.

I'm assuming McGinn will be out but not heard much about Van Veen, McKinstry and Mugabi so far. Hammell even mentioned after the Celtic game Tierney had a knock. Hopefully this World Cup break proves to be a godsend. December is usually saturated with fixtures so hopefully come January we have some new recruits ear marked, saying that does anyone is its early or late January Penney's deal expires.