Motherwell v Kilmarnock 23/12/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Two nil up, the opposition down a man and we still contrive to blow two points. Yes, the manager could have done more, especially with proactive changes earlier in the game, but the players themselves need to take a long hard look at themselves. A lack of leadership and a lack of confidence may have a very telling impact on how our season works out. These guys need to realise that they are playing for their careers right now and that an unprofessional ten minutes has turned what could have been a very good night’s work into something that feels like a defeat. With a hiding at Ibrox  up next, I really hope we see a reaction.

And while I am at it, time for a few home truths.

It is highly unlikely we will make significant signings in the January transfer window. The players we would like and think we require will either not be available or will be beyond our financial means..

We can blame Alexander all we like, and with some serious justification, but it isn’t going to add anything to our future performances this season.

The only reason we are not already in a relegation or play off place is because a few other sides are equally mediocre. Hoping that that situation remains for the rest of the season is perhaps our best bet, but scarcely a proposition that inspires.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Hammell’s had a bad night tonight but Alexander is 100% to blame for the ridiculously poor squad we have. Need at least 2 players in during Jan that’ll improve the first 11 or we could be on our way down. 

I wanted alexander out the door as soon as possible after the Sligo games but we can't keep blaming him for the here and now,I totally agree the squad is pretty dire but hammell needs to start getting a tune out of what he currently has and so far he hadn't done it,were absolutely brutal at the back,being a defender himself,he should be making us harder to beat for a start but yet were still conceding an average of two goals a game.we took the gamble on signing two crocks that are now no longer with us cause there injured again,that buck stops with hammell,we can't be taking such gambles in January,I would say we need a minimum of four players to come into the starting line up but with hammells comments that doesn't look like remotely happening.

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Hammell had some say in the signings so it's not 100% Alexander's fault by any stretch of the imagination.  We need at least 4 players next month or we'll be in deep deep trouble. What's more Hammells had a few bad games now. Yes a rookie manager will make mistakes but he doesn't seem to be learning from them. Favoured formation and personnel are mismatched at the moment.

One possible small mercy this week  from a footballing, not financial,  perspective is that the St Mirren game was postponed until after 1 January

The only say Hammell potentially had was at the backend of the window, last minute panic mode after being beaten twice by an Irish League team. We were woefully under prepared for the start of the season and that’s in no way Hammell fault. Let’s at least give him one proper transfer window in January to try and bring in a couple of players that can make a difference. 4 players is possible in Jan but not a chance we’re signing 4 players that walk into the first 11, just don’t see us having the budget for that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, couttsy said:

The only say Hammell potentially had was at the backend of the window, last minute panic mode after being beaten twice by an Irish League team. We were woefully under prepared for the start of the season and that’s in no way Hammell fault. Let’s at least give him one proper transfer window in January to try and bring in a couple of players that can make a difference. 4 players is possible in Jan but not a chance we’re signing 4 players that walk into the first 11, just don’t see us having the budget for that.

The problem is it’s then down to making the best of what we have and I’m afraid that’s just not happened. Either Hammell shows he can change that or the board need to make a decision before we get into a position we can’t get out of.

15 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Why are there no youth players coming through other than 16 year old  olds on the bench - where are the players from the 20s and 18s that Hammell over saw for years? Massive amounts of money invested in this with him at the helm with no results - this was the clubs ethos and that of the well society and Hammell was in  charge of this. He was given the job off the back of his performance in this role which is baffling 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mfc said:

I wanted alexander out the door as soon as possible after the Sligo games but we can't keep blaming him for the here and now,I totally agree the squad is pretty dire but hammell needs to start getting a tune out of what he currently has and so far he hadn't done it

!00%. Even if we sign 2/3/4 first pick players next month Hammy has to get far more out of the current 7/8/9 as you say and he just isn't doing it. Looking back over his 5 months in charge - has the squad gradually improved? No, if anything its gone backwards.

• Like 1

It isn't just about tonight, although that game sums up our season so far and I don't see it improving. 2 wins in the last 13 games. Hammell had 3 weeks and more to get a grip and failed. A rookie manager in a relegation dog fight never ends well. No improvement sine he took over. Never fields the same 11, always changing personnel and their position in the team. A man grasping for straws. Liked Stevie as a player but I am sorry to say be is not a manager. The sooner he realises this and admits he is drowning the better for him and the team. Burrows must shoulder most of the blame for this clusterfuck and walk as well. It has been nothing less than a shambles since he took the helm. Honestly what other club would have him running the show.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

Why are there no youth players coming through other than 16 year old  olds on the bench - where are the players from the 20s and 18s that Hammell over saw for years? Massive amounts of money invested in this with him at the helm with no results - this was the clubs ethos and that of the well society and Hammell was in  charge of this. He was given the job off the back of his performance in this role which is baffling 

Must have imagined McKinstry out there tonight!

In all seriousness you have a point, we’ve struggled badly since the days of Turnbull, Campbell and Hastie coming through. How much of that is down to Hammell I’m not sure to be honest. 

I don't know too much about Hammell's time in charge of the youth set up but it does take time to identify and bring through talent; years in fact. However when he took over he made a play of promoting youth and giving it a chance. He hasn't followed through on that  - maybe the pressures and realities of management have got to him. 

29 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

!00%. Even if we sign 2/3/4 first pick players next month Hammy has to get far more out of the current 7/8/9 as you say and he just isn't doing it. Looking back over his 5 months in charge - has the squad gradually improved? No, if anything its gone backwards.

Good point,even if we are able to bring in 3 or 4 players that can go straight into the first team that will only get us so far,we need to be getting a lot more out the current squad,the standard of goals we give away is actually laughable,I was hoping hammell would be able to make us a bit more defensively sound but so far there has been no evidence of that happening.our home form is a serious issue now,we keep hearing that we want to make fir park a fortress but if we can't beat ten man kilmarnock when were two up,what chance do we have.

For me I don't think Hamnell is enough of a bastard.  He's a good guy, but what we need is a good guy/bad guy combo to whip the guys into shape. Kerr isn't bad cop either, I mean someone to give you 'the fear' like an Archie Knox type. Players all respond in different ways with different touches, but do you really think Stevie or Brian bring that bastard character into the dressing room?? 

I think we will end up in the playoffs as there is no quality across 2-3 positions to lift you any higher.  I blame Burrows ultimately for his 'speed dial' phone a friend recruitment policy over the years.  Managers come and go, but we could do with a refresh across the whole page.  Championship beckons on this form and Hammell is too much of a Mr Nice to turn it around.  I pray he makes me look a dick and smashes it, but I doubt it.  2:0 to 2:2 against 10 men is amateur.

Didnt see the game tonight, but at 2-0 up against 10 men we really should be seeing this game out.

I get the negativity around the result, and the failure to win the game needs to be shared between the players on the pitch and the manager for not having the capacity and where with all to hold onto what we had.

We did control the game and score 2 goals against 11 men before it all went south.

But we need to stop snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and we need to do it now.

I want to know wtf they have been working on last 5 weeks keep hearing good this good that well if that's the end product serious questions need to be asked.

It's really getting tiresome this formation is not working and should have been working on something else during the break cause it's just as shite as the 2nd half on last season when everyone was foaming at the mouth.

Players can only take so much of the blame Killie scores to make it 2-2 get fresh legs on and Hammel waited til 86th minute to put subs on this is where an experienced number two would probably come into play to have word in his shell like.

Dreadful result last night given we were 2-0 up and they were down to 10 men. I’m sorry to say but that is all the hallmarks of a poor team led by an inexperienced manager and frankly anyone who doesn’t think that we are in serious danger of relegation or at least the playoffs this season is kidding themselves on. 

I love Hammell but last night was on him I’m afraid. Poor game management cost us three points there.

6 hours ago, Suprawell said:

Hiring the cheap option in Hammell and his speed dial recruitment strategy of ex players over the years spring to mind.  

Correct and if we do go down this season then Burrows should seriously consider his own position, which I think he would to be fair. For far too long we have been run like a tinpot, seaside league outfit when it comes to player and management recruitment and that will come home to roost eventually if it hasn’t already.

You look at the managerial appointments under Burrows.

Baraclough(lower English-league Manager brought in in the hope he would be Gannon mkII)

McGhee (clearly an old pals move that)

Robinson(already at the club having been asst in a previous failed regime)

Alexander(out the box for a change but another English-lower league manager with no experience of Scottish football)

Hammell (the youth team boss parachuted into the job two weeks into a season after we’d allowed the previous manager to assemble our worst squad in recent memory)

Then you look at our ridiculous policy of re-signing ex players. McFadden, Pearson, Ojamaa, Moult, Aarons, Hastie, McCormack. And some of the absolute GARBAGE that we have brought in at the same time; Hylton, Seedorf, Clay, Lucas, Ilic, Manzinga, Sloth, Morris, Shields, Sammon and more all brought in by several different managers.

Our player recruitment and scouting is absolutely dire and has been for far too long and that is something that goes way beyond whoever the man in the dugout is.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Motherwellfc1991 said:

He only needed to bring one on and failed and allowed them back into the game 

We had a mad couple of minutes and that was it.

We had Maguire, Morris, Tierney and Cornelius on the bench and a bunch of kids.  Don't tell me any of them would have safeguard the points.  

When he actually made substitutions he got booed for taking off McKinstrey who had a great 1st half but didn't do much second half.

Fans got what they wanted at the start of the season and it's probably mostly the same ones getting on Hammell's back now.  You don't become an experienced manager in 20 games.  

Short term-ism is not the way to go.  Wasn't at the start of the season, isn't now.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We had a mad couple of minutes and that was it.

We had Maguire, Morris, Tierney and Cornelius on the bench and a bunch of kids.  Don't tell me any of them would have safeguard the points.  

When he actually made substitutions he got booed for taking off McKinstrey who had a great 1st half but didn't do much second half.

Fans got what they wanted at the start of the season and it's probably mostly the same ones getting on Hammell's back now.  You don't become an experienced manager in 20 games.  

Short term-ism is not the way to go.  Wasn't at the start of the season, isn't now.

Your right you don’t become an inexperienced manager after 20 games but when you persist with the same formation every week and after 20 games , persist with 3 non tackling slow midfielders getting outnumbered after 20 games and persist in allowing your goalkeeper to shell the ball to a striker who is isolated and isn’t very good in the air it will ultimately lead to people questioning his managerial credentials . This is especially so when results and performances are as bad as they are. To pick Blair Spittal every week is a sackable offence in itself. Imposter of a footballer who hides behind he opponent at every opportunity and runs as fast as someone who has two pulled hamstrings. 

Hammell is a catalogue coach with all his badges who talks the talks on phases of play with all his textbook buzz words. What we needed last night was simply a manager who could make a basic tactical and personal change to see out a game . Many juniors and Sunday league coaches with no badges could have seen what was needed. 

Hammell like Burrowe will become untouchable through this relegation fight in many peoples eyes simply because they are ‘Motherwell ‘ people. We are in a mess and those two are a part of it with the latter having played a major role in the assembling the worst squad I’ve witnessed in 35 years. Kaine Woolery wouldn’t have saved us but would have offered so much more than anyone we currently have - Shame Mr Burrows was instrumental in his departure as well. 

• Like 1

It's easy to blame the manager,  with better game mgt perhaps we have won.

Equally this is the same manager who got the team 2-0 in front so can't be all bad.

Irrespective of tactics, formations and subs we have a bang average group of players. We lack any ability to control a game.

The harsh reality is in football momentum is everything. As soon as Killie got a goal, momentum swung hugely in their favour. It happens all the time and to far better teams than Motherwell, (just look at the World Cup final).

The other harsh reality is we're 9th in the league, this is inline with the budget we spend and the players we've signed over the last 2-3 years.   It will take time and several windows before we can assemble  a better squad. 

Perhaps some incredibly talented manager would get more from this bang average squad but none applied for the job.  Hammell is a rookie manager performing at a level we'd expect. He needs time. 

This season was always going to be tough, we're better than when we kicked off against Sligo but it's another long hard season.  

Hope we can unearth some decent loan signings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I love Hammell but last night was on him I’m afraid. Poor game management cost us three points there.

I know it's difficult for you at times but stop talking shite, how the feck can SH be blamed for us having a mad 2 mins and giving Kilkie 2 goals.

What magic game management strategy would have prevented the OG from McGinn, or Kelly not saving a well hit ball that was in the air for ages. For me if the OG does not happen killie were never scoring the 2nd, as they were shite all game.

So stop blaming SH for something totally out of his control.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

It's easy to blame the manager,  with better game mgt perhaps we have won.

Equally this is the same manager who got the team 2-0 in front so can't be all bad.

Irrespective of tactics, formations and subs we have a bang average group of players. We lack any ability to control a game.

The harsh reality is in football momentum is everything. As soon as Killie got a goal, momentum swung hugely in their favour. It happens all the time and to far better teams than Motherwell, (just look at the World Cup final).

The other harsh reality is we're 9th in the league, this is inline with the budget we spend and the players we've signed over the last 2-3 years.   It will take time and several windows before we can assemble  a better squad. 

Perhaps some incredibly talented manager would get more from this bang average squad but none applied for the job.  Hammell is a rookie manager performing at a level we'd expect. He needs time. 

This season was always going to be tough, we're better than when we kicked off against Sligo but it's another long hard season.  

Fair points but allied to the hearts and rangers games which we lost when the opposition were a man down , clearly there's players not working hard enough.

Mkinstry does some good things when he's on the ball ,but he needs to get on it more.

12 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Naw ma hope is we get rid of Conner fucking Shields and our continual fatuation with 4-3-3 

Canny control a baw

Canny pass a baw

Canny cross a baw 

Canny beat a man 

Canny hied a baw

Canny tackle

Keeps running down blind alleys 

can someone please please tell me why he starts week in week out ??????

• Like 1