Rangers v Motherwell 28/12/2022

SteelmaninOZ

3 hours ago, couttsy said:

“No threat, can’t defend, can’t keep clean sheets”, maybe take a guess and why that might be the case? Maybe the players (or some of them at least) are just not good enough and need replaced.  Remind me how long Hammell has had in charge to replace players he doesn’t fancy?

May I remind you it is Hammell who has taken us to third bottom. Sorry excuses don't cut it but hey once again he was disappointed in his interview. That is a man drowning in front of your eyes. He could hardly make eye contact with the interviewer. Sorry his time is up.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It could have been far worse tonight and it has been frequently in the past. Taken on its own the 3-0 scoreline isn't bad given the circumstances. We also gave 2 young lads some gametime. No red cards either. 

The way we lost 3 goals was entirely predictable and I doubt if Hammy or indeed us learned anything new. Maybe it confirmed 1 or 2 things though. 

Our season starts next week and there will be no hiding place for the players or Hammy. 

We need to chill out about tonight. 

18 games into the season and our season starts now. Really!!! Ok we will all chill out as we sit third bottom of the table with 2 wins in 14. Do you really think this is going to get any better. 

3 hours ago, mfc said:

I agree,after seeing the two performances against sligo there is no guarantees than an experienced manager would have got anymore out of this squad than hammell has.i love hammell as much as the next fan but the time will come when a decision has to be made if things don't seriously improve over the next 3 or 4 games,relegation for us would be unthinkable.if he still had the full support of the board then they must back him to make as many changes in january as the budget allows,we need to be as ruthless as possible and try and get some out the door even on loan to free up funds,guys like maguire and shields aren't good enough and just taking a wage for nothing.

Jesus, you are an optimist. You couldn't raffle off some of these players never mind expect someone to pay money for them 

5 minutes ago, ppower said:

Jesus, you are an optimist. You couldn't raffle off some of these players never mind expect someone to pay money for them 

It's hardly being an optimist to think that we couldn't offload the likes of maguire and shields to teams in the championship,that's there level,shields did well enough at that level before that he would have clubs interested if we made him available.the only problem is we seem to be happy having dross like that in the squad,I get nobody is paying a fee for the two I mentioned but get them out the door on loan with there wages or part of there wages being paid to allow us to bring others in,if hammell is to remain is manager he needs to be ruthless and get the shite out the door as soon as possible.

6 hours ago, ppower said:

That’s my point, some of the players are just not good enough (majority Alexander signings), yet you expect Hammell to have us sitting pretty in the league. 

8 hours ago, ppower said:

18 games into the season and our season starts now. Really!!! Ok we will all chill out as we sit third bottom of the table with 2 wins in 14. Do you really think this is going to get any better. 

In answer to your question, no I don't. I'm 90% sure he's not the man for our job but 10% of me says lets see what he can do with a fresh face or two in the upcoming 3 crunch games. Its a balancing act though isn't it? Give him too long and the window closes with a new man having no time to do anything.

Agree with your comment about not making eye contact during the interview. That stood out for me.

12 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

Where do we go from here (apart from Livingston for the wise cracks)?

Onto the next one. History shows we rarely get anything from the old firm (except last season, when Alexander managed to grab two draws at Ibrox. Probably a total fluke and nothing to do with him at all, mind) so we move onto the next games which are all winnable.

How many times have we been in a position where the fans are all saying "nah, we're done for. No points from the next three" only for us to go on and put three past our next opponents and manage to kick on a little? 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Onto the next one. History shows we rarely get anything from the old firm (except last season, when Alexander managed to grab two draws at Ibrox. Probably a total fluke and nothing to do with him at all, mind) so we move onto the next games which are all winnable.

How many times have we been in a position where the fans are all saying "nah, we're done for. No points from the next three" only for us to go on and put three past our next opponents and manage to kick on a little? 

On what evidence do you think that the current squad can kick on? There is no fight in them, and their manager is evidently out of his depth, sadly. 

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

On what evidence do you think that the current squad can kick on? There is no fight in them, and their manager is evidently out of his depth, sadly. 

On the evidence that outside the old firm and maybe Hearts the rest of the league is very unpredictable and fairly even. Again, we've seen this kind of thing before, multiple times per season with us. 

We could very easily go on to beat Livingston 3-0. And just as easily go on to lose to them 3-0. Most teams in our league are much of a muchness I think.

9 hours ago, mfc said:

It's hardly being an optimist to think that we couldn't offload the likes of maguire and shields to teams in the championship,that's there level,shields did well enough at that level before that he would have clubs interested if we made him available.the only problem is we seem to be happy having dross like that in the squad,I get nobody is paying a fee for the two I mentioned but get them out the door on loan with there wages or part of there wages being paid to allow us to bring others in,if hammell is to remain is manager he needs to be ruthless and get the shite out the door as soon as possible.

Why would we offload Shields if he's Championship quality we will need him next season. I cant believe that i'm the only one saying Goss (cant tackle a fish supper) and Slattery (falls down when challenged)are the ones that need to go. A team stands or falls on the spine this year Kelly has gone backwards, CB are poor but we need stability which we have not had, C Midfield pair constantly let runners run off them, and We only have VV Up top who blows hot and cold and has lacked any meaningful support.

Its time to ditch this failed bunch bring in the youths and rebuild for the championship

11 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Why would we offload Shields if he's Championship quality we will need him next season. I cant believe that i'm the only one saying Goss (cant tackle a fish supper) and Slattery (falls down when challenged)are the ones that need to go. A team stands or falls on the spine this year Kelly has gone backwards, CB are poor but we need stability which we have not had, C Midfield pair constantly let runners run off them, and We only have VV Up top who blows hot and cold and has lacked any meaningful support.

Its time to ditch this failed bunch bring in the youths and rebuild for the championship

Never replaced Campbell esk type of player runs about the park just getting stuck in being a pest never stops likes to to get stuck in.

Goss and Slattery don't track runners and when they are caught up the park it's game over it's been a big part of our downfall.

KVV to fair the service to him has been shocking he would be much better keeping himself about the box while playing up top with a Bowman type getting stuck in doing the dirty work the running while KVV is getting into the positions into score.

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Never replaced Campbell esk type of player runs about the park just getting stuck in being a pest never stops likes to to get stuck in.

Nearest type of player we have to that model is Dean Cornelius and he's not being given a decent chance under Hammell.

12 hours ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Oh why do we continue to hear the same things every week:  😩

“disappointing again”, “we planned for that”, “cheap goal”, “it’s about how we prepare” 

repeat, repeat, repeat…Burrows take the initiative now…

I don't know why people get riled up by post match interviews as I'm positive what managers say to the players behind closed doors is entirely different to what we hear. As far as I've known its always been the same generic bullet points asked.

2 hours ago, David said:

I remember under McGhee I think it was the season after the Rangers playoff, we were looking doomed in February as we lost to Partick via a 90th minute goal then followed this up with a pathetic attempt against Killie which convinced me we were heading down, with only 13 games left we won 8 of them. We done something similar under McLeish where we couldn't score and were heading down but went on an unbeaten 7 game run winning 6 of them.

We have 14 league games before the spilt, we don't play the Old Firm again until late March so hopefully we can start to turn it around. Hopefully we have a decent transfer window.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

In answer to your question, no I don't. I'm 90% sure he's not the man for our job but 10% of me says lets see what he can do with a fresh face or two in the upcoming 3 crunch games. Its a balancing act though isn't it? Give him too long and the window closes with a new man having no time to do anything.

Agree with your comment about not making eye contact during the interview. That stood out for me.

I wouldn't read too much into the eye contact thing, everyone has their quirks, if we saw ourselves, we might cringe??

All that is fluff tho, just get us winning , Stevie.

On another note , there was a shout for an extra body in the midfield, it didn't make much odds...I hope I am proven wrong but the boy Cornelius will end in the lower leagues very soon, just don't see what he brings ....p s I know we might end up in the lower leagues too

9 hours ago, Coatsy said:

I don't blame those two - I don't see much shouts for a quality Defensive central midfielder - I think it's the most vital of signings.....and I think it will help those guys out massively.

7 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I wouldn't read too much into the eye contact thing, everyone has their quirks, if we saw ourselves, we might cringe??

All that is fluff tho, just get us winning , Stevie.

On another note , there was a shout for an extra body in the midfield, it didn't make much odds...I hope I am proven wrong but the boy Cornelius will end in the lower leagues very soon, just don't see what he brings ....p s I know we might end up in the lower leagues too

Didn't want to say because he seems to have a lot of support on here, but bar from the couple of goals he's bagged, I see nothing in his general play (bar from a good game against Aberdeen early in SH's tenure) that suggests he's that great. Actively runs away from play a lot and does very little with the ball. Energetic maybe, but also ineffective.

11 hours ago, AllyMax said:

Didn't want to say because he seems to have a lot of support on here, but bar from the couple of goals he's bagged, I see nothing in his general play (bar from a good game against Aberdeen early in SH's tenure) that suggests he's that great. Actively runs away from play a lot and does very little with the ball. Energetic maybe, but also ineffective.

I know what you're saying, it's not easy to look good in a struggling team and he is young but I take it hammy doesn't see a lot either , we need a ball winner in there and the position is up for grabs

There's still time for the boy to prove us wrong and I hope he does