St Mirren v Motherwell 28/01/23

SteelmaninOZ

Why is Alexander to blame

15 minutes ago, MJC said:

I agree, but unlike Alexander who is hugely responsible for the mess we are currently in, Steven Hammell doesn’t have the pig faced arrogance to try and tell the support that black is white and that we are playing well when we clearly aren’t. Obviously him being a club legend and much loved by the support helps Hammell’s cause too.

The sad reality is though that Stevie Hammell just looks like a thoroughly decent guy who is miles out of his depth. 

This whole farce of a season lays firmly on the shoulders of those upstairs and nobody elses.They went for cheap and cheerful lets give it to a club legend,get the fans back onside everything will be fine.

Has anyone actually seen the Japanese guy play or are we just assuming he good cause he signed up to play in glamorous venues like Paisley, Kirkcaldy,Dundee and the like. And the ones Celik signed are good.

Just now, Spit_It_Out said:

This whole farce of a season lays firmly on the shoulders of those upstairs and nobody elses.They went for cheap and cheerful lets give it to a club legend,get the fans back onside everything will be fine.

Sounds good except he had fuk all experience managing a big boys team.

1 minute ago, Spit_It_Out said:

It has been a farce.theres no way motherwell sack a manager for losing a european tie,even to the likes of Sligo,there must have been real doubts about alexander coming into the new season but yet he was allowed him to use some of the budget to sign crap like morris and a pointless signing in mcginn.to then go from that to appointing a complete rookie management team,it's been one mistake after the other from those in charge of the club and we can only hope that the biggest mistake isn't still to come in the form of relegation.

11 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Alexander is partly to blame, but those higher up in the club are more to blame. They gave him a free pass for the dreadful football and results from December ‘21 onwards and they awarded him a contract extension. Bad enough but they then allowed him to go into this season with the same squad that had fallen flat so badly in the second half of last season plus Josh Morris and then when we were shown up by Sligo in the Europa League Qualifiers ‘mutually consented’ him two days before the first league game and replaced him with the youth academy boss who was basically on a hiding to nothing from the get go.

It’s been a ‘perfect storm’ for us all season.

3 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

It absolutely does matter who the manager is as shown in the past when we’ve changed managers. Hammel has signed how many players now ? Are we any better ? This simply can’t continue, the club is sleepwalking into relegation.

Yeah he signed players but the issue is he doesn't fuckin play them, he instead sticks to the same utterly dire team selection that has been shite all season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Yeah he signed players but the issue is he doesn't fuckin play them, he instead sticks to the same utterly dire team selection that has been shite all season.

Signed 4 and now having to replace 3 of them due to injury and loan ending

of the two he has replaced them with one hadnt been well during week and couldn’t start and one was injured in training yesterday 

hardly made the number of signings that are needed

17 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Hammel will not be sacked.

I agree with you but for me that's down to the club being as badly managed off the field as it is on it. SH should never have been appointed in the 1st place no previous managerial experience but he was the cheap easy option.

Sticking with Hammell will get us relegated as it is obvious he has no idea how to turn things round, add this to Burrows leaving, suggestions of financial issues and the club has big problems.

For me it's vital that we get an experienced manager in ASAP to turn things round and keep us up this year as going down, and all the issues that brings could be a disaster for the club longer term.

But given the apparent unstabillity in the boardroom, possible financial problems etc I have no confidence that the board will make the changes needed in time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I agree with you but for me that's down to the club being as badly managed off the field as it is on it. SH should never have been appointed in the 1st place no previous managerial experience but he was the cheap easy option.

Sticking with Hammell will get us relegated as it is obvious he has no idea how to turn things round, add this to Burrows leaving, suggestions of financial issues and the club has big problems.

For me it's vital that we get an experienced manager in ASAP to turn things round and keep us up this year as going down, and all the issues that brings could be a disaster for the club longer term.

But given the apparent unstabillity in the boardroom, possible financial problems etc I have no confidence that the board will make the changes needed in time.

100 percent correct sadly the issues off the field and the fact we are changing Chief Exec doesn't make it any easier.

Free falling into the championship at alarming pace and the board are sitting on thumb's watching it.

Nah enough is enough for me now but sadly nothing is going to change even when it's pretty clear it isn't working.

3 hours ago, Stevie73 said:

Don’t know who posted it because t so funny that Hammell’s first word would be disappointed, we are rotten and going down, no fight, no desire to stay in this league.

That was me sir, should have stuck a tenner on it.

Just watched highlights, another honking goal. I know it's for charity but that strip really doesn't do it for me. I know that's not our major problem but jeez I needed sunglasses to watch it 😎😎

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

That was me sir, should have stuck a tenner on it.

Just watched highlights, another honking goal. I know it's for charity but that strip really doesn't do it for me. I know that's not our major problem but jeez I needed sunglasses to watch it 😎😎

I’m with you on the gear Grizzly

• Thanks 1

Comments from the Herald on our performance against St Mirren.

“Did Motherwell play badly? In truth not really but it was just all so meh. Goss and Slattery struggled to get to grips with Erhahon and O’Hara in the middle. They also lacked variety in their play, too often falling back to pelting the ball vaguely in the direction of van Veen or McKinstry hoping one of them could magic it into a goal.”

It’s been like that for a long time as Goss and Slattery have served up the same insipid, weak performances since the season began and Hammell continues to play them. In truth, we have no midfield, and this has a twofold effect on the side:

1. When we don’t have the ball, they provide absolutely no protection to the defence.

2. When we have the ball, they provide absolutely no support or service to the strikers.

Hammell sees this every week but fails to take action to sort it out.

Under normal circumstances it would be foolish to say the club won’t sack him given he’s been allowed to bring in new players, however they allowed Alexander to do the same thing and then sacked him before our season had begun.

At present the club appears rudderless and lacking in direction or leadership. I feel they are in stasis at present perhaps exacerbated by the CE’s resignation, a £1M loss and the current state of the team. A statement in the recent financial accounts is quite telling:

“While the Club’s financial position is healthy in the short term the Club is acutely aware of the challenges it faces both in terms of operating in the current economic climate and running as a fan-owned club in an increasingly competitive and owner financed top flight. The main uncertainties to the future wellbeing of the club remain as; first team performance, broadcast income and match day attendance.”

If they don’t get the playing side sorted out fast, these uncertainties will all hit and pretty damn hard.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

Comments from the Herald on our performance against St Mirren.

“Did Motherwell play badly? In truth not really but it was just all so meh. Goss and Slattery struggled to get to grips with Erhahon and O’Hara in the middle. They also lacked variety in their play, too often falling back to pelting the ball vaguely in the direction of van Veen or McKinstry hoping one of them could magic it into a goal.”

It’s been like that for a long time as Goss and Slattery have served up the same insipid, weak performances since the season began and Hammell continues to play them. In truth, we have no midfield, and this has a twofold effect on the side:

1. When we don’t have the ball, they provide absolutely no protection to the defence.

2. When we have the ball, they provide absolutely no support or service to the strikers.

Hammell sees this every week but fails to take action to sort it out.

Under normal circumstances it would be foolish to say the club won’t sack him given he’s been allowed to bring in new players, however they allowed Alexander to do the same thing and then sacked him before our season had begun.

At present the club appears rudderless and lacking in direction or leadership. I feel they are in stasis at present perhaps exacerbated by the CE’s resignation, a £1M loss and the current state of the team. A statement in the recent financial accounts is quite telling:

“While the Club’s financial position is healthy in the short term the Club is acutely aware of the challenges it faces both in terms of operating in the current economic climate and running as a fan-owned club in an increasingly competitive and owner financed top flight. The main uncertainties to the future wellbeing of the club remain as; first team performance, broadcast income and match day attendance.”

If they don’t get the playing side sorted out fast, these uncertainties will all hit and pretty damn hard.

Why can everyone see the problem is the midfield and yet he has signed nobody in that particular department and keeps playing Goss and Slattery, who were both atrocious today. He must know he has no other option, so why not sign anyone to play the 6 or 8 role? It doesn’t matter how many forward options you have if you have no midfield behind them to create or protect. Kerr was a midfielder, how can he not see it?

Finally plucked up the courage to watch the highlights. A few observations:

McGinn and Goss horrific for the goal and Kelly not to clever either.

What is the point of having a VAR that doesn’t give that foul on Lamie, it’s so bloody obviously a penalty.

We just can’t start on Wednesday night with a midfield of Slattery, Goss and Spittal, something HAS to change in there. 

Wish I shared Faddys confidence that we’ll be ok. Although the bookies share his view, remarkably we’re 12/1 to finish bottom, really not sure what they’re seeing that I’m not!!

4 hours ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

Why can everyone see the problem is the midfield and yet he has signed nobody in that particular department and keeps playing Goss and Slattery, who were both atrocious today. He must know he has no other option, so why not sign anyone to play the 6 or 8 role? It doesn’t matter how many forward options you have if you have no midfield behind them to create or protect. Kerr was a midfielder, how can he not see it?

The midfield that hammell keeps going with is absolutely dire,the biggest problem is that none of them are mobile,they can't get forward to offer anything in attack and are nowhere to be seen to give the back four any protection.goss and spittal are shite bags and slattery lunges into tackles and gets booked,like you say kerr being a midfielder himself should be able to pick up on the obvious but the same goes for hammell being a defender and yet he doesn't do anything about or comedy defending every week,you really do wonder what we work on all week in training.

Read some amount of Shite in my time on here but recently takes the biscuit. 

folk are delusional if thinking changing manager with 2 days left of a window is a good idea. Gave the current manager a handful of weeks to bring players in and he’s now having to replace the ones he brought in due to loans ending and injury

does anyone think a new manager will manage to make goss and slattery and spittal (the current boo boys) magically  better? Does anyone think a new manger will suddenly have more options than miller and Cornelius to change the midfield?

Does anyone think a new manager will be able to conjure a goal scorer out of van veen again? Or make lamie and sol a world beating centre back pairing.

new manager same shite!!

give hammell regardless the rest of this window and season to turn it round 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Read some amount of Shite in my time on here but recently takes the biscuit. 

folk are delusional if thinking changing manager with 2 days left of a window is a good idea. Gave the current manager a handful of weeks to bring players in and he’s now having to replace the ones he brought in due to loans ending and injury

does anyone think a new manager will manage to make goss and slattery and spittal (the current boo boys) magically  better? Does anyone think a new manger will suddenly have more options than miller and Cornelius to change the midfield?

Does anyone think a new manager will be able to conjure a goal scorer out of van veen again? Or make lamie and sol a world beating centre back pairing.

new manager same shite!!

give hammell regardless the rest of this window and season to turn it round 

maybe an older wiser pair of eyes  to even just lean on would do cause ffs anybody / everybody can see our problems

3 minutes ago, smiddy said:

maybe an older wiser pair of eyes  to even just lean on would do cause ffs anybody / everybody can see our problems

Suggested that before the turn of the year got shot doon in flames but then again suggested at the start of the season that the 3 stoogies were not good enough for us guess what got shot doon again . Ah well Smiddy cannae win ‘em all 

6 minutes ago, smiddy said:

And I’m pretty sure those problems are actively being addressed against the back drop of restricted finances and moving players like shields Morris who on the face of it appear to be willing to move given their cushty wee contracts that they have.

I’m  not sure an older head can conjure more money in the budget to remove the players that need shifted on so we can actually sign the quality of players that hammell woulD like 

McInstry, the left back and the centre forward on the face of it show me so far that he has the ability to bring in decent players for our budgets