Motherwell V St Johnstone 01/02/2023

Kmcalpin

Since Covid I've only gone to home matches so I'm aware that I'm only really seeing half the picture but I thought in the recent home matches, although we hadn't won, we played some decent football, scored goals, created chances, were relatively entertaining to watch and I could see something you could pin your hopes on.

Tonight was absolutely deplorable.  I've seen some shockers in my time but that was right up there.  Losing goals 4 and 3 minutes into each half is unacceptable.  The midfield was no existent, the defence is pathetic and the front line has chucked it.

I'm looking at senior players in that team - Kelly, Lambie, Van Veen, they look lost.  There is no leadership, no grit.  And Stephen O'Donnell?  Worse than a player down, more like having an active saboteur in your ranks.  The guy should never wear a Motherwell shirt again after tonight's display.

I'm not saying at this stage that the new players are worse than the old one's but they have made us a worse team. 

Players aren't up to scratch, a lot of them don't know the league, don't know each other and the cohesion and fluency of the football has gone miles backwards because of that.  It's going to take 4 or 5 weeks for these players to gel and you don't have 4 or 5 weeks when you have 1 win in 14 league matches.  

It's one performance but that tonight looked like the later day of Robinson's time when the team looked like it didn't believe it would actually win a game from minute 1.  And the football we were trying to play has turned into pass back to Kelly and hoof it up the park.

We really need to turn this round on Saturday.

The air of resignation amongst fans in 2nd half said it all. Most folk preparing for championship. Can't judge new guys on tonights performance but Goss Slattery are brutal and I know it will split opinion but KVV needs taken out the side. His lazy lack of effort attitude is shocking and not who you need in a relegation dogfight. l want guys that will fight for the cause and he ain't going to do that.

Just can't see us getting out of this but 38 years in top division has been some achievement for a club our size 

56 minutes ago, mfc said:

Every other team has a system and a way of playing,we have neither,we need to get a manager in that knows how to set a team up to have any chance of survival.

We have a way of playing. Keeper throws ball to a defender , who passes it along the line a couple of times , then to one of our other six players in our half . Then pass it to the opposition. At least that looked like our style in the first half. Absolutely awful. Hammell must be telling them to do this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, star sail said:

I am somebody who has backed every manager till the end ( except Malpas) but sadly I am going to go against that now and say that SH should probably walk. 

I did not think it was a good appointment in the summer. It was a huge gamble that has not worked. It does not give me any pleasure to say it and I don't regret giving him the benefit of the doubt over the last 6 months but time is up.

There is no point in sacking Hammell if we are just going to have another 'Who Wants To Manage Us' open day.

We need to have an actual plan.  An experienced manager, with a record, who's been identified and is in place ready to go.

Otherwise it's just more chaos and uncertainty.  

The club has made a series of terrible knee jerk reactions and the last thing we need to do is 'out of the frying pan into the fire', which, one suspects, is exactly what would happen.

We laid out our season's path at the beginning of the season and it's all about finishing anywhere above 12th now.

5 minutes ago, spudmfc said:

I've applauded my team off the park after a defeat on a few occasions just for showing fight and desire,but I'm sorry,i left tonight shaking my head at what I'd witnessed, absolutely nothing, not one leader among them,I fear for us now

Exactly,were motherwell fans we don't expect to be treating to silky football every week but a bit of fight and effort is the least that should be shown which will always go a long way in the league that were playing in but this lot are giving us absolutely nothing to get behind,I honestly think we're doomed.

Really not sure where to start with that, it’s been awful in recent weeks but tonight was even worse than anything we’ve seen so far this season.
I’ve been firmly in the Hammell camp but I’m now having my doubts that he can turn this around. There’s now so much wrong I don’t know where we start, utterly depressing.

1 minute ago, mfc said:

Exactly,were motherwell fans we don't expect to be treating to silky football every week but a bit of fight and effort is the least that should be shown which will always go a long way in the league that were playing in but this lot are giving us absolutely nothing to get behind,I honestly think we're doomed.

As I said earlier the minimum we should be doing is making it difficult for our opponent, when was the last time we did that?

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We need to have an actual plan.  An experienced manager, with a record, who's been identified and is in place ready to go.

100%. Word gets around and people will apply but we now need to change tack and approach individuals that are of interest to us. It has to be targeted. 

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

There is no point in sacking Hammell if we are just going to have another 'Who Wants To Manage Us' open day.

The club has made a series of terrible knee jerk reactions and the last thing we need to do is 'out of the frying pan into the fire', which, one suspects, is exactly what would happen.

We laid out our season's path at the beginning of the season and it's all about finishing anywhere above 12th now.

Were in the fire but at least we know that the players all want to be here and are buying into our project i agree we can't sack Hammel he has to walk on his own.

4 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Normally I would be arguing exactly this. I am not a fan of sacking managers, and I find the manager merry-go-round in Scotland hugely depressing but tonight had a desperate feel about it. 

I do wonder if it is worth almost accepting relegation and giving SH time to build his team and get the experience that would come with it but our support will not allow that. I don't think any support in the world would.

The confidence of the players is completely shattered. Is there another Craig Brown out there that could breath confidence into these players? I can't think of anyone.

Brutal, shambolic, no fight, no clue, no desire.

Think that about sums it up?

Right from the off with that crazy 4-2-3-1 formation it looked like they didnt know what they should be doing. St J outfought us, were first to every ball which essentially meant we had four guys up the park beyond the ball. It should have been changed after 15minutes as it was clear it wasnt working.

It got worse, any confidence we had seeped out the players. More mistakes crept in, some started hiding and pretty much every one of them was bullied off the ball.

I was fine with Hammil. Had thought the losses were against the run of play and lots of bad luck but that changed with the performance against County and now tonight. We need something different, even if it is just some experience to work with him. We cant turn up like that again and expect to takr any points.

5 minutes ago, JSR said:

As I said earlier the minimum we should be doing is making it difficult for our opponent, when was the last time we did that?

Spot on,were the easiest team around to play against,the last two home games say it all,two teams on bad runs have came to fir park and we have went down with barely a whimper with nisbet scoring the easiest hattrick he will ever get.

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's more like some of them have downed tools on the club.

O'Donnell, Goss, Slattery and Kelly will be happy to see us relegated. 

I don't believe players would be happy to see their team relegated, simple fact is they aren't good enough.  I just can't believe you haven't got KVV on that list, his attitude is worse than the lot of them