Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

10 hours ago, wellfan said:

Another young manager (2 years younger than Hammell) is not the type needed to turn our shite squad into a 10th-place team. 

I realise I said this about McPake, and I've just noted that Kettlewell is the same age as him. However, I may have to stand corrected on the latter, as his interview today was very good. I realise a good interview doesn't make a manager, but Kettlewell (more experienced than McPake) may be the cheap, safe, and best option we need to see us to 10th place, and then reassess. He clearly knows who the shitebags are. 

It's only one interview and naturally he will be treating it like he is on trial but I liked the way he came across. Obviously tomorrow is the proof and let's see who starts and what attitude from players will be.  I expect a massive reaction, if not the guilty parties will be punted to the bench or stand 

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

It's only one interview and naturally he will be treating it like he is on trial but I liked the way he came across. Obviously tomorrow is the proof and let's see who starts and what attitude from players will be.  I expect a massive reaction, if not the guilty parties will be punted to the bench or stand 

If no reaction tomorrow, I think we can be confident that these players are indeed useless lazy cunts. As I’ve said elsewhere, I doubt Pep could get a tune out of this squad. And with that said, if we win, Kettlewell is Fergie. 

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

If no reaction tomorrow, I think we can be confident that these players are indeed useless lazy cunts. As I’ve said elsewhere, I doubt Pep could get a tune out of this squad. And with that said, if we win, Kettlewell is Fergie. 

If true about Kettlewell then....I gotta feeling...oooo oooo..that tonight's gonna be a good night

Whoops ...wrong fergie

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

According to the Sun Tommy Wright is now the favourite….what a load of p@@h well I hope so!!

I am surprised GA hasn’t been mentioned!

I was reading that there,he's the man the board want according to the sun,let's hope it's shite as he couldn't save kilmarnock when they found themselves in a similar position to us then left them struggling in the championship,there would be no reason to appoint him.

58 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

According to the Sun Tommy Wright is now the favourite….what a load of p@@h well I hope so!!

I am surprised GA hasn’t been mentioned!

Reeks of an agent planting a story, with the nice get out clause of "has to be persuaded" so it doesn't look bad when he doesn't get it.

3 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

have to say im now thoroughly in the boat of get an old head in for 4 months to try keep us up and get in a manager that can take the club forwards playing half decent football in the summer

That still rules out Wright though. Kettlewell was more successful keeping Ross County up than Wright was in his relegation battle at Killie.

If you’re looking at older heads, Yogi a far better shout that Wright.  At least he kept the Staggies (a fellow Premier league team) up, Wright has a 100% failure rate,  Once out the relegation mire, can also play attractive football, as opposed to Wrights pragmatism which’d be a step backwards to the Alexander era.  Suspect/hope it’s an agents plant

Sorry but some of the names are absolutely horrific Yogi,Wright all this for me is backwards thinking and putting up the white flag by the board and one I am done with.When I read things like 'Wright would want a longer deal than one offered'nah not haven't any of this it's bowling club mentality.

I be looking to progress the club not hinder it you have guys in 40s  that have been managing for  5-10 years if we are going out then go out in style get someone in year and half contract if we go down then they have the chance to bring us back up.

If Tommy Wright and John Hughes are the answer then my answer is keeping money in pocket with all Motherwell related stuff until further notice.

The press don't have a clue who we're considering so print any old rubbish. We are good at keeping things highly confidential until an announcement is made but the press don't like being kept in the dark so print utter nonsense. I just laugh when I see some of the names mentioned because the press have proved time and again they invent stories to try to convince people they are in the know when they are in fact clueless.

37 minutes ago, Suprawell said:

Tommy Wright...is that not cockney rhyming slang?? Typical pish from The Snu. Ian Murray for me please.  He downed us twice with Airdrie and Raith.  The type of young manager we need. 

Ian Murray has always impressed me as a manager . I have never liked the idea of going for the guy that just showed you up, because I think that is what happened with Harri Kampmann but Murray seems like an intelligent, articulate young manager with a good amount of experience under his belt.

On Hughes, I would actually take him just now if it was simply to keep us safe this season. The more I look at the current situation, the more I think that the problem is confidence. I thought Kelly looked like a rabbit in the headlights in his interview yesterday and he is our captain.

I think Yogi could actually be a calming influence and one that could take the weight off the players shoulders a bit whilst being a disciplinarian if necessary.

I think the romance of a young manager with a 5 year plan and a passion for playing young players ( that was supposed to be Hammell) is an ideal that may have to be set aside for now. Ian Murray seems like the closest to a compromise in that regard but I can see the merits of a very short term solution.

I don't think James McPake should be ruled out either. Dunfermline were in free fall when he took over (infact did Hughes not have a go with them?). His win percentage with them is fairly exceptional. Is it not upwards of 70%?

We just have to hope our board are really doing their homework and not just picking names out a hat from a list they made at a board meeting on Monday.

15 minutes ago, star sail said:

Ian Murray has always impressed me as a manager . I have never liked the idea of going for the guy that just showed you up, because I think that is what happened with Harri Kampmann but Murray seems like an intelligent, articulate young manager with a good amount of experience under his belt.

On Hughes, I would actually take him just now if it was simply to keep us safe this season. The more I look at the current situation, the more I think that the problem is confidence. I thought Kelly looked like a rabbit in the headlights in his interview yesterday and he is our captain.

I think Yogi could actually be a calming influence and one that could take the weight off the players shoulders a bit whilst being a disciplinarian if necessary.

I think the romance of a young manager with a 5 year plan and a passion for playing young players ( that was supposed to be Hammell) is an ideal that may have to be set aside for now. Ian Murray seems like the closest to a compromise in that regard but I can see the merits of a very short term solution.

I don't think James McPake should be ruled out either. Dunfermline were in free fall when he took over (infact did Hughes not have a go with them?). His win percentage with them is fairly exceptional. Is it not upwards of 70%?

We just have to hope our board are really doing their homework and not just picking names out a hat from a list they made at a board meeting on Monday.

I hear what you are saying re Murray, but he didn't do well at St Mirren and I remember him buying Stuart Carswell from us... suppose everyone has the odd blip, would still rather have Lee bullen , if we are going down that route

• Like 1

The names being linked don't inspire me.  If tonight and Sunday bring positive results I could be swayed by offering kettlewell a deal till end of 23/24 season.

However there must be a few hidden gems out there applying. If over 100 applications surely it can't be down to usual suspects.

Not Tommy Wright for me. My ex colleague a Killie Fan and says he was loathed there and didn't come across as a pleasant character 

Whilst some of the names being mentioned in the media give me the fear, I do wonder what kind of manager our fans want us to appoint. If we're going for experience, like many of us want, then its unlikely that the successful applicant would have a blemish free record. On the basis of that, Ian Murray has had one failure, at St Mirren, and Tom Wright one failure at Kilmarnock - I'm not necessarily advocating the latter by the way just an illustration of stats.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Whilst some of the names being mentioned in the media give me the fear, I do wonder what kind of manager our fans want us to appoint. If we're going for experience, like many of us want, then its unlikely that the successful applicant would have a blemish free record. On the basis of that, Ian Murray has had one failure, at St Mirren, and Tom Wright one failure at Kilmarnock - I'm not necessarily advocating the latter by the way just an illustration of stats.  

This is a very good point. Every name mentioned has failed at some stage unless they have not been tested before at our level in which case they are rookies.

Jack Ross.

Jim Goodwin.

Tommy Wright.

Tam Courts.

John Hughes 

Ian Murray.

James McPake.

This is just a sample but they all share at least one failure in common 

Bobby Park remains the man for me.

Why?

Because he is a master-multi-tasker, knows the club inside out, can take care of the grass (freeing up another wage), and knows how to handle misbehaving kids like Gobby Goss and Slasher Slattery.

If Bobby doesn't get the gig then I'll be cancelling my Well Society Membership, Season Ticket and Stone Island Loyalty Card.

2 hours ago, Suprawell said:

Tommy Wright...is that not cockney rhyming slang?? Typical pish from The Snu. Ian Murray for me please.  He downed us twice with Airdrie and Raith.  The type of young manager we need. 

That would be a good shout for me as well if that's the kind of profile we're looking for.

He made some subtle changes on Saturday that we couldn't respond to so he can obviously read a game and change things when needed.

I wouldn’t take anything reported by The Sun seriously, but I wouldn’t be totally against Tommy Wright getting the job just now, but only on a short term basis to try and keep us up. Long term I don’t see him as the answer for us but short term we need to try and safeguard our top flight status so an experienced head like Wright might be what we need.

53 minutes ago, MJC said:

I wouldn’t take anything reported by The Sun seriously, but I wouldn’t be totally against Tommy Wright getting the job just now, but only on a short term basis to try and keep us up. Long term I don’t see him as the answer for us but short term we need to try and safeguard our top flight status so an experienced head like Wright might be what we need.

Didn't do to well at keeping Killie up

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread