Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Wasn't he suppose to take a place on Grimsby's board too? Perhaps he'll combine the First XI manager's job with being the new CEO.

Aye, the whole thing sounds like a disaster. Didn't come up with the money he promised and left them in 20th place with the fans complaining about a bloated, shit squad (sounds familiar). They were also the first team in England to be fined for breaching Covid rules - the players weren't social distancing and Holloway was playing darts with them as a team bonding exercise. 

16 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

McCann kept us in strong financial footing as I think he was at Hull when Scott left for £1.5 million. Would take him ahead of Holloway. Maybe with kettlewell as assistant?

McCann has had cliff Byrne as his assistant in every job he's had. 

I like the idea of keeping kettlewell in his original role, then having him be our designated createker, since we're probably going to go through a bunch of managers like every other club. 

We're so short of coaches right now, we could really do with an additional coach coming in with the new manager and assistant.

• Like 1

no rush to appoint anybody right now,  lets see how the kettle boils the morra dont really think we will win  but see how he sets us up to play and also see if there is the marked improvement again in the attitude and commitment of ALL the players,  just hope we didnt shoot our bolt on wed , then blow out there erses morra with 30 to go

think davkel is onto something there, yes they are fit ,   but if they were doing 2 sessions a day then they would be  fitter, was it not mcghee that had them doing doubles at one point telling them "forget picking your kids up from school we will be back in all afternoon getting fitter " or words to that effect, there is fit, but you can get really fit, which i dont think we are

• Like 1

100 percent the fitness has been worse since the return from the World Cup break.I don't know what they were doing but it's regressed terribly.

But that has to do with the management team really drilling the players properly.

I truly believe this is why the midfield have been so bad at tracking back this season the fitness isn't upto scratch.

Slattery is prime example he has gave away so many yellow cards this season because he is not fit enough to keep up with opponents so just fouls them.

• Like 1

Garbage,how is it we looked fitter and stronger when we played a 3-5-2 against st midden,the 4-3-3 was killing our midfield,the opponents would beat a lack lustre press with one pass into midfield then out number our 3,spittal covered the area behind the front two,deano looked to be covering the area behind the midfield all weak points that teams could get at,I for one will not question there fitness levels,it's been the shape/formation that's pissed me off for last 2 years

2 hours ago, spudmfc said:

Garbage,how is it we looked fitter and stronger when we played a 3-5-2 against st midden,the 4-3-3 was killing our midfield,the opponents would beat a lack lustre press with one pass into midfield then out number our 3,spittal covered the area behind the front two,deano looked to be covering the area behind the midfield all weak points that teams could get at,I for one will not question there fitness levels,it's been the shape/formation that's pissed me off for last 2 years

Sorry don't agree they were blowing with 20 to go against St Midden

Holloway, in my opinion, would be a mental appointment. Surely our board don't want to go into this relegation fight with a media clown/entertainer with no recent record and a spectacular failure on his record. Especially one that seems to have the public persona of the kind of comedian that gets booked for low grade caravan parks.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Sorry don't agree they were blowing with 20 to go against St Midden

Off course they were,did you see the effort they put in,I've also written in a previous post"it's a 16 man team now"I'd rather see the players burst a gut for an hour rather than float about for 90 minutes,we have adequate subs now

3 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Holloway, in my opinion, would be a mental appointment. Surely our board don't want to go into this relegation fight with a media clown/entertainer with no recent record and a spectacular failure on his record. Especially one that seems to have the public persona of the kind of comedian that gets booked for low grade caravan parks.

Its almost like he adopts the 'comic' routine to deflect a degree of scrutiny away from his actual abilities. He seems to be loved as a 'character' by certain media outlets which all has helped to boost his profile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mio Krivokapic said:

Its almost like he adopts the 'comic' routine to deflect a degree of scrutiny away from his actual abilities. He seems to be loved as a 'character' by certain media outlets which all has helped to boost his profile

It always amazes me how journos lap up Christmas cracker jokes as the sign of some sort of comic genius. Guys like Shankly and Clough were great managers with great quotes. The others are pale imitations.

I didn't want kettlewell even getting it to the end of the season but I've changed my mind now.im not getting carried away with the two wins,even though it helps but he's shown a willingness to change things tactically and there's a fighting spirit on the park, bringing someone else in now might disrupt things and set us back,we've got it in our hands,we should be looking to keep it simple and ticking over until the end of the season and I think kettlewell will provide that,what happens in the summer will take care of itself.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:02 AM, thewelllfan said:

so be it idc who it is just keep us Kettlewell showed tonight he can at least get them to show a bit of fight and we werent too bad defensivley

Id give him the gig to the end of the season and get in a new manager then no point just appointing a manger to get us out of bother and have no real direction going forward

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread