Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

I like him and especially how he seems to change things when required like yesterday.   His signings so far havent filled me with total confidence but he deserves time.  I wont mention his record so far over 23 games but fact we are joint top so far is excellent but no doubt if we lose to hearts next week there will be comments like "aye Bubble has burst"...."out his depth"..."honeymoon is over". Lol

1 hour ago, Mintymac said:

I’ve been pleasantly surprised how well Kettlewell has done .

He took over a complete shambles of a team both how they played and the obvious lack of team spirit and confidence .

Nobody could have envisaged how he actually turned it round .

Other thing I like about him is his ability to realise and accept when he gets it wrong /sees its not working and changes it and finds another way . The way he’s managed to get rid of some of the players by being honest with them about there playing chances has been impressive . It’s been a total cull and he’s done it in a professional way (Efford maybe not so much )

I think we might have a decent manager on our hands and if given time and PATIENCE from fans and board then given a reasonable amount of time he will defo improve us . 
Probably  needs another couple of windows but I think he has a clear plan of how he wants things to pan out .

Hopefully he’ll get the time to do it as he started with a low bar and I feel he deserves a chance to build his own team and put his stamp on it .

To summarise although he’s not in the door that long I think he GETS the club and has bought into the job quicker than I thought he would .

For me a good fit for our club , a decent bloke by all accounts , firm but fair and most importantly the players seem to have bought into him unlike the previous two incumbants

Ridiculously positive assessment: have a word with yourself: 🤣🤣🤣.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I like him and especially how he seems to change things when required like yesterday.   His signings so far havent filled me with total confidence but he deserves time.  I wont mention his record so far over 23 games but fact we are joint top so far is excellent but no doubt if we lose to hearts next week there will be comments like "aye Bubble has burst"...."out his depth"..."honeymoon is over". Lol

Only from the usual suspects 🙄

the kettle is still on the boil!

• Haha 1

There may be still question marks over his signings and the long term development of the squad, but he has 100% earned the right to some time on that front and also to get his team selection / tactics wrong from time to time. In short, I believe he knows what he is doing and I trust him to get things right eventually.

Hopefully once this week is over things will settle down and crystallise for us as supporters.

15 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

SK has the potential to be the best manager we’ve had for some time .

common sense , no nonsense , got the team playing as a team .

And most importantly imo, he seems to be able to get the best out of what he has at his disposal and the players play for him. He transformed Spittal and KvV’s attitudes and application when he took over in February and now despite having a threadbare squad we’re sitting with 7 points from the first possible 9. That is impressive.

57 minutes ago, MJC said:

And most importantly imo, he seems to be able to get the best out of what he has at his disposal and the players play for him. He transformed Spittal and KvV’s attitudes and application when he took over in February and now despite having a threadbare squad we’re sitting with 7 points from the first possible 9. That is impressive.

Just to keep things on the ground, last year it was 6 at this point, only picking up 3 wins after that between then and February.

I'll reserve any judgements until we finish the first round of ties

43 minutes ago, Tartan_Special said:

Just to keep things on the ground, last year it was 6 at this point, only picking up 3 wins after that between then and February.

I'll reserve any judgements until we finish the first round of ties

That’s true and I’m certainly not going to get carried away. However I think Kettlewell has a bit more credit in the bank than Hammell did this time last year given how he sorted us out and guided us to safety last season.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Nah, Scott Brown is the bookies early favourite apparently, aye that will end well.

Scott Brown or Neil Lennon? There's only a few characters in Scottish football who I can't find anything redeemable about  and the two of them are in for the Hibs job ...Todd Cantwell is doing a great job of joining this select club tho.

• Haha 1

I think it is wise to be cautious at such an early stage in the season but to base any assessment on points gathered three games in as a means of gauging our position does not go anywhere near giving a true comparison of then and now. 
Under Hammell the players looked confused as to their roles and at times openly questioned tactics mid game. Hammell stubbornly refused to try any new set up…much like his predecessor…and seldom made substitutions until games were lost. Listening to his interviews was depressing as he appeared bemused and offered nothing.

Much improved in all areas under Kettlewell and in fact he appears to be learning from any mistakes as Saturdays early substitution and change of shape demonstrated. He clearly has a plan and an approach which most players appear to have bought into and are enjoying. That was certainly not the case under Hammell. Or Alexander for that matter. And that 6 v 7 comparison takes no account of Kettlewell’s full track record or his previous managerial experience.

My only concern is the quality of player recruited…on early evidence granted….but I would guess that there are factors other than Kettlewell’s preferences which dictate who we can bring in and who we cannot. Perhaps more so now than in previous years given the noises coming out of the Club. I’m guessing that given our ownership model that is unlikely to change. From comments here and elsewhere it seems Kettlewell is more in touch with our youth set up which is encouraging.

Have to say,  how telling is it that most of those posters who described Paton as a ‘waste of a jersey’ or ‘pal signing’ or ‘lazy signing’ have been remarkably silent on that subject of late. Not all, but most. Prior to his injury Paton had started to show up well and to my mind was man of the match in one game. So Saturday was not an entire surprise.

Regards Neil Lennon and Hibs. We may not like him but nobody can deny he is a winner as his Managerial and Playing record shows. He is at the top of every Hibs fan I know wish list. I was at the Villa game and no way would Lennon have accepted such a performance or made no tactical changes mid match. Johnson’s after match comment that he was happy with how he set up and saw no need to change it was the last straw and an act of suicide. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dennyc said:

I think it is wise to be cautious at such an early stage in the season but to base any assessment on points gathered three games in as a means of gauging our position does not go anywhere near giving a true comparison of then and now. 
Under Hammell the players looked confused as to their roles and at times openly questioned tactics mid game. Hammell stubbornly refused to try any new set up…much like his predecessor…and seldom made substitutions until games were lost. Listening to his interviews was depressing as he appeared bemused and offered nothing.

Much improved in all areas under Kettlewell and in fact he appears to be learning from any mistakes as Saturdays early substitution and change of shape demonstrated. He clearly has a plan and an approach which most players appear to have bought into and are enjoying. That was certainly not the case under Hammell. Or Alexander for that matter. And that 6 v 7 comparison takes no account of Kettlewell’s full track record or his previous managerial experience.

My only concern is the quality of player recruited…on early evidence granted….but I would guess that there are factors other than Kettlewell’s preferences which dictate who we can bring in and who we cannot. Perhaps more so now than in previous years given the noises coming out of the Club. I’m guessing that given our ownership model that is unlikely to change. From comments here and elsewhere it seems Kettlewell is more in touch with our youth set up which is encouraging.

Have to say,  how telling is it that most of those posters who described Paton as a ‘waste of a jersey’ or ‘pal signing’ or ‘lazy signing’ have been remarkably silent on that subject of late. Not all, but most. Prior to his injury Paton had started to show up well and to my mind was man of the match in one game. So Saturday was not an entire surprise.

Regards Neil Lennon and Hibs. We may not like him but nobody can deny he is a winner as his Managerial and Playing record shows. He is at the top of every Hibs fan I know wish list. I was at the Villa game and no way would Lennon have accepted such a performance or made no tactical changes mid match. Johnson’s after match comment that he was happy with how he set up and saw no need to change it was the last straw and an act of suicide. 

Re Lennon , his alleged  antics last time at Hibs would undo any supposed qualities he has a manager ..I hope he never ends up anywhere near fir park....fair dues he had success at Celtic but their budget saw to that....anyway he might get a gig at hibs and we can see how that goes .

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Re Lennon , his alleged  antics last time at Hibs would undo any supposed qualities he has a manager ..I hope he never ends up anywhere near fir park....fair dues he had success at Celtic but their budget saw to that....anyway he might get a gig at hibs and we can see how that goes .

Oh I don’t want him anywhere FP. Just highlighting that most Hibs fans would welcome him back. Their other preferred choice is Malky Mackay. Media will push their own favourites though.

On 8/27/2023 at 7:30 PM, grizzlyg said:

what about the other one grizzly    " heez shite "  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

And now?

Like I said on the match thread, I don’t see him being sacked or walking away any time soon. However he has failed miserably to address the loss of KvV and also Max Johnston in the summer. And after a reasonably good start to the season with some impressive results things have taken a turn for the worse and his dreadful transfer business now looks like it is catching up on us.

It’s still early yet but the alarm bells are starting to ring, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

He's got until January in my opinion. But then again, would you trust him with cash in the window to sign more potential duds and crocks?! 

If he doesn't pull out a win in the next three games he has to go.  

Can't defend and can't score unless we are chasing the game. He's an imposter. 

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If he doesn't pull out a win in the next three games he has to go.  

Can't defend and can't score unless we are chasing the game. He's an imposter. 

13 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Bubble is well burst and the purple patch some of the players went through is over . Be lucky to get a year in the job got to agree doesn’t get a win in the next three games he has to go 

Well fancy seeing you two out together.

• Haha 2