Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We've got 8 games between the 2nd of December and the 2nd of January. 

We should be aiming to have a new manager in before that run begins. Start sounding people out now. 

Who would you go for? I know it's not our job, but if you want Kettlewell binned right now you must have somebody in mind.

11 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Who would you go for? I know it's not our job, but if you want Kettlewell binned right now you must have somebody in mind.

I'll say what I always say. There's always more managers than jobs and we should be able to get someone in with experience managing elsewhere.

I don't follow English football closely enough to know all the candidates but I'd take Paul Lambert if he is available. 

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

If Ian McCall is still out of work I would be approaching him.

Pointless discussion mind you because as I said our next manager is someone already at the club.

He's certainly experienced enough, but I'm not sure what he ever achieved in management that would make you think he was up to it.

7 minutes ago, MJC said:

If Ian McCall is still out of work I would be approaching him.

Pointless discussion mind you because as I said our next manager is someone already at the club.

McCall wasn't good enough for the championship with either Ayr or Partick. Both teams got relegated . 

He hasn't had a decent record since 2002 and is now 60. 

We all have opinions , just surpises me that his name crops up.

A few weeks ago we were going fine.  I'd personally give SK time to turn things around.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

I'll say what I always say. There's always more managers than jobs and we should be able to get someone in with experience managing elsewhere.

I don't follow English football closely enough to know all the candidates but I'd take Paul Lambert is he is available. 

I thought he didn't want to come here.

I would be happy enough with Lambert too but like Lennon he would demand a big salary and money to spend, neither of which we would/could give him. He would also have to work with a squad containing rank rotten players. And he not distance himself from it back in February when Hammell left?

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

McCall wasn't good enough for the championship with either Ayr or Partick. Both teams got relegated . 

He hasn't had a decent record since 2002 and is now 60. 

We all have opinions , just surpises me that his name crops up.

He knows the game and is experienced enough, that could work in our favour.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We've got 8 games between the 2nd of December and the 2nd of January. 

We should be aiming to have a new manager in before that run begins. Start sounding people out now. 

A bit quick, but the clock is undoubtedly ticking. If we lose on Tuesday then the pressure really builds on him. Lose next Saturday as well and that should be it. Next game after that is Celtic at Parkhead. 

Not nice but that's the modern game. 

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So we bin SK and get another failed manager in, they still need to work  with the toothless shite squad we have until  January at least, how is that helping us

Kettlewell was able to turn Hammell's team around. Alexander got Robinson's team off the bottom and up the league. Brown transformed Gannon's team over night. 

A decent manager should at least be able to shore us up at the back. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell was able to turn Hammell's team around. Alexander got Robinson's team off the bottom and up the league. Brown transformed Gannon's team over night. 

Shite is shite no matter how you dress it up the problem is the players we have are not up to the job  Biereth excepted the clubs recruitment policy is the issue.

Some crazy options here.

You can't fire a manager every time you hit a bad spell.

For a start if you start doing that you'll never attract any decent quality managers because no one will want to join a club were you are 6 or 7 games away from the sack.

You review the situation at the winter break and if it's look bad then.....maybe.......but it'd have to be bad, right now we are a point off being top 6.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When a clubs run like a committee then decisions are slow and we lack innovation. Its run by amateurs. Hope we find a Soudi backer. It's becoming turgid and boring. More difficult to get sons to be well fans. 4 games now I've took my son to against st midden twice killie and livingstone and not even scored 1 goal. 360 minutes of rank rotten football without even 1 goal. Lost all of them. If I subject my son to any more social work could get involved. Van vern prob saved us last season🙂

58 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Some crazy options here.

You can't fire a manager every time you hit a bad spell.

For a start if you start doing that you'll never attract any decent quality managers because no one will want to join a club were you are 6 or 7 games away from the sack.

You review the situation at the winter break and if it's look bad then.....maybe.......but it'd have to be bad, right now we are a point off being top 6.

Completely with you .

The short term view of many baffles me - albeit I understand the emotion.

a few months ago this board was full of ‘the ketttle is boiling ‘ a few bad performances and we’re ready to bin him ?! 

When you look at the size of crowds , coupled with not having a wealthy benefactor where do people think we should be in the league ?

8th - can’t really argue with that . Performances have been poor for last 3 games but that’s what happens with confidence . 

Today I think SK lost the plot with his formation , several bad decisions and it’s the first post match assessment that I felt he’s hidden from the facts but until now he’s delivered pretty decent return . He deserves time to show what he’s made of . 

See where we get to in the next 8 or so games . Suspect we’ll pick up points .

• Like 1

I'm definitely getting concerned but I don't see any reason at the minute to get rid of kettlewell but I think a few more bad results then we will need to seriously look at changing it around the turn of the year.i hope he doesn't start overthinking everything and we start to see a number of changes and daft formations each week out of sheer desperation,he needs to find a way of making us hard to beat again and build on it from there,confidence looks gone and individual mistakes are happening to often,we need to stop the rot and quick.i would be dropping kelly for a start,he is installing no confidence in anyone,get spencer at right wing back and give gent a go on the other side and get a bit balance to the team and let them attack all day long,it might not work this time but we seen what happened when johnstone and furlong came in last season.we need mika in the team as much as possible,if that's on his own or part of a pairing,either way we need a body or two getting forward from midfield.i think we can turn our form around but it will only happen if we get back to basics.the manager is coming under more and more pressure but the players need to have a look at themselves there's still to many that go hiding at the first sign of trouble and guys like kelly and slattery among others have previous for it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mfc said:

I'm definitely getting concerned but I don't see any reason at the minute to get rid of kettlewell but I think a few more bad results then we will need to seriously look at changing it around the turn of the year.i hope he doesn't start overthinking everything and we start to see a number of changes and daft formations each week out of sheer desperation,he needs to find a way of making us hard to beat again and build on it from there,confidence looks gone and individual mistakes are happening to often,we need to stop the rot and quick.i would be dropping kelly for a start,he is installing no confidence in anyone,get spencer at right wing back and give gent a go on the other side and get a bit balance to the team and let them attack all day long,it might not work this time but we seen what happened when johnstone and furlong came in last season.we need mika in the team as much as possible,if that's on his own or part of a pairing,either way we need a body or two getting forward from midfield.i think we can turn our form around but it will only happen if we get back to basics.the manager is coming under more and more pressure but the players need to have a look at themselves there's still to many that go hiding at the first sign of trouble and guys like kelly and slattery among others have previous for it.

Great post 

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

So is the Motherwell Football Club manager strategy to replace the manager every season for the new manager bounce then sack him?

Alexander got about a year before the support started to turn. Kettlewell has had 9-10 months. A month ago people on these boards were posting Kettlewell's fantastic managerial stats and touting him for the Hibs job. 

This bad run started with us running both Rangers and Celtic very close, so we are really talking about the last four games as being the start of the loss in form.

The notion that we have any pre determined right to beat the likes of Aberdeen, Livingston, RC or Killie is unrealistic. If after a season, we find ourselves at the bottom of the league then it may be time to look at a change of manager but are we seriously suggesting that this is the correct decision after four poor games? As a sustainable model for any club that type of strategy is unworkable in the long term.

RC were a whisker from relegation last year and they stuck with the manager. Killie likewise. Is it poor decision making from these two clubs to keep those managers or can we recognise when taking the emotion out of the argument, that these football managers are doing good jobs in difficult circumstances. 

The manager of Motherwell has a task that is equally challenging. Kettlewell did a great job to keep us up last season. He has proved already that he has the skill set to turn things around. The notion that we bin him after four poor games is ridiculous. 

St Mirren fans wanted Robinson out after a run of bad results early in his time there. Aberdeen fans were starting to voice concern about Barry Robson. He has just won two games on the bounce. It is the fans more than anyone that drive this unhealthy desire for change at the first hint of trouble. 

Give Kettlewell a chance. He deserves the support of the fans.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, star sail said:

So is the Motherwell Football Club manager strategy to replace the manager every season for the new manager bounce then sack him?

Alexander got about a year before the support started to turn. Kettlewell has had 9-10 months. A month ago people on these boards were posting Kettlewell's fantastic managerial stats and touting him for the Hibs job. 

This bad run started with us running both Rangers and Celtic very close, so we are really talking about the last four games as being the start of the loss in form.

The notion that we have any pre determined right to beat the likes of Aberdeen, Livingston, RC or Killie is unrealistic. If after a season, we find ourselves at the bottom of the league then it may be time to look at a change of manager but are we seriously suggesting that this is the correct decision after four poor games? As a sustainable model for any club that type of strategy is unworkable in the long term.

RC were a whisker from relegation last year and they stuck with the manager. Killie likewise. Is it poor decision making from these two clubs to keep those managers or can we recognise when taking the emotion out of the argument, that these football managers are doing good jobs in difficult circumstances. 

The manager of Motherwell has a task that is equally challenging. Kettlewell did a great job to keep us up last season. He has proved already that he has the skill set to turn things around. The notion that we bin him after four poor games is ridiculous. 

St Mirren fans wanted Robinson out after a run of bad results early in his time there. Aberdeen fans were starting to voice concern about Barry Robson. He has just won two games on the bounce. It is the fans more than anyone that drive this unhealthy desire for change at the first hint of trouble. 

Did you actually watch last 5 or 6 games. ? It's not first hint of trouble. 1 point from 21 is not a hint of trouble. Strategy and performance have been very poor. 

14 minutes ago, star sail said:

That’s the spirit  🥃