Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

If he makes it to the window, I'd expect them to publicly back him with transfer funds. If they decide to pull the trigger at that point, they should be next out the door.

Agreed. If they part company with him then it's really too late to bring in a new manager and let him bring in some new signings of his own. 

• Like 1

I wasn't entirely sold on Kettlewell to begin with, and some of his signings have been questionable at best, but there's a different vibe and feel from the team at the moment. It doesn't seem like a situation where the manager is out of options, isn't being backed by the players and a new guy is needed.

It feels different from the Hammell and Alexander situations. It even feels different from the end of Robinson's reign.

That might just be me though. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, David said:

I wasn't entirely sold on Kettlewell to begin with, and some of his signings have been questionable at best, but there's a different vibe and feel from the team at the moment. It doesn't seem like a situation where the manager is out of options, isn't being backed by the players and a new guy is needed.

It feels different from the Hammell and Alexander situations. It even feels different from the end of Robinson's reign.

That might just be me though. 

It does feel a bit different. In part as the players are trying and also in part we don't wan't to just keep binning managers , it can't be the right solution.  Also not having a CEO in place, the club feels lost at sea.

That all being said we need to start winning or irrespective of how likeable and he'll need to go. Same for Daws in recruitment, it's been shocking. 

1 hour ago, Yodo said:

So we can equal Gretnas record of games without a win this afternoon so if that happens I would hope  Kettlewell would do the decent thing and walk away 

You can certainly hope for failure, as you seemingly do from every manager we have for some reason, but I don't think he sounds like a man who'll be walking away.

15 minutes ago, David said:

You can certainly hope for failure, as you seemingly do from every manager we have for some reason, but I don't think he sounds like a man who'll be walking away.

He can talk all he likes but it’s results that matter in this game and he’s poor at getting them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Pretty much resigned myself to the fact we are going down. Kettlewell somehow satisfying the board enough to keep his job yet at the same time leading us to the bottom. The time to replace him is slowly passing us by to the point where it won't matter. 

Like replacing Hammel in early Feb made no difference ?

16 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

Pretty much resigned myself to the fact we are going down. Kettlewell somehow satisfying the board enough to keep his job yet at the same time leading us to the bottom. The time to replace him is slowly passing us by to the point where it won't matter. 

I get why you're pessimistic, but you're a bit premature. Time isn't on our side though.

11 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Like replacing Hammel in early Feb made no difference ?

I would say the squad we have now is far worse than the one we had in early Feb. The signings Kettlewell has made gives me zero faith he is going to fair much better in the January window and if we were to replace him in Feb then whoever we bring in will be stuck with this dross. 

Also, our shite run of form started earlier this time round and if we left this to run into February we are truely fucked.

Would a new manager make biereth, Slattery, spittal, and bair all score the one on one's they missed? Whatever mistakes he made previously, it's hard to blame the manager for only getting a point at St Mirren.

If we had sacked kettlewell last week and today's game was the first for the new manager, most folk would have been positive.

1 minute ago, fizoxy said:

Would a new manager make biereth, Slattery, spittal, and bair all score the one on one's they missed? Whatever mistakes he made previously, it's hard to blame the manager for only getting a point at St Mirren.

If we had sacked kettlewell last week and today's game was the first for the new manager, most folk would have been positive.

He's playing Mika up front himself to fit in three guys in midfield who add very little. Bair should have started up top with Mika today after getting the assist last week. 

A new manager might be able to send out a team that can create a chance or even score a goal in the first half of a game which Kettlewell clearly cannot do.  

26 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

I would say the squad we have now is far worse than the one we had in early Feb. The signings Kettlewell has made gives me zero faith he is going to fair much better in the January window and if we were to replace him in Feb then whoever we bring in will be stuck with this dross. 

Also, our shite run of form started earlier this time round and if we left this to run into February we are truely fucked.

How can anyone know we won't win until February? 

We kept a clean sheet at a very difficult venue and generated more than enough chances to win the game, most of them coming when we had 1 up front. We weren't perfect, but we were well organized and fought until the final whistle, finishing in the ascendancy.

Whether SK is manager in the new year remains to be seen, but blaming him for today's result not being a win is a stretch.

Who other teams are bringing in to manage them isn't filling me with confidence that we can find someone better either.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He's playing Mika up front himself to fit in three guys in midfield who add very little. Bair should have started up top with Mika today after getting the assist last week.

And yet we had a fair amount of fans on this forum claiming that playing an extra midfielder in Paton and having Mika up top on his own was the way to go. 

It's very easy to come in and claim something isn't the way to go after the game has played out. 

Our problem today wasn't getting players into positions where they had a chance to score. It was actually putting the ball in the net, and there's nothing the manager can do about that.

• Like 2

Personal view is we're a team that's improving.  we've only lost 1 of the last 5 games 

Appreciate the winless run and the concerns we all have but as the weeks go on I think SK is doing a lot well. 

We needed to strengthen midfield and we have , we needed Gent and Spencer in wingbacks and we have. 

If we strengthen midfield and attack in Jan I think we'll be pretty solid.   The issue for me today was Slattery/SPittal offer very little. As most one of them should play but due to lack of squad both are getting a game. 

I personally see things getting better. I've seen much worse performances than what we've put in over the last month. 

• Like 2