Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

30 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

I didnt say we wouldn't, but the last 14 results would point toward it being a possibility. 

Anything's a possibility, but past experience and the laws of probability would suggest it'll end before then. Whatever else this team is, it's not much worse than most of its opponents, nor has it given up.

If you want rid of Kettlewell to get us winning again, that's understandable, but there's absolutely no guarantee who or what will follow. He walks and is replaced by Frail, Foster or Clarkson - does anyone fancy that? And if not them, who? Ian Murray would be the obvious candidate, but why the hell would he take the job at this time?

Whatever side of the fence we're on with this, it's all guesswork. Hammell's sacking seemed inevitable and necessary to virtually everyone. Despite this run, I don't think a huge majority feel the same way about Kettlewell - yet.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Anything's a possibility, but past experience and the laws of probability would suggest it'll end before then. Whatever else this team is, it's not much worse than most of its opponents, nor has it given up.

If you want rid of Kettlewell to get us winning again, that's understandable, but there's absolutely no guarantee who or what will follow. He walks and is replaced by Frail, Foster or Clarkson - does anyone fancy that? And if not them, who? Ian Murray would be the obvious candidate, but why the hell would he take the job at this time?

Whatever side of the fence we're on with this, it's all guesswork. Hammell's sacking seemed inevitable and necessary to virtually everyone. Despite this run, I don't think a huge majority feel the same way about Kettlewell - yet.

I'm with you pal.  No way am I saying this run is acceptable but there does seem a fight about this side, 4 draws in last 5 I know not great but the 2 away draws at Parkheid and today are ones we would be happy with. It's the 2 home draws that were bad ones.

I still feel it's a different situation from end of Hammell reign, players genuinely looked like chucked it then but current crop don't give that impression.

However.......we badly need to go on a good run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I'm with you pal.  No way am I saying this run is acceptable but there does seem a fight about this side, 4 draws in last 5 I know not great but the 2 away draws at Parkheid and today are ones we would be happy with. It's the 2 home draws that were bad ones.

I still feel it's a different situation from end of Hammell reign, players genuinely looked like chucked it then but current crop don't give that impression.

Hear hear! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

am maybe thinking the same the now grizzly, the board are standing firmly by him, and we are playing a BIT better, there may well be signs that we are coming out the other side relativly un scathed despite not winning in 14 its not as if we are detached at the bottom and maybe just maybe it will be some other feckers turn to go on a bad run and we can go n do what we done last feb, its not as if we have lost the last 14

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

Personal view is we're a team that's improving.  we've only lost 1 of the last 5 games 

Appreciate the winless run and the concerns we all have but as the weeks go on I think SK is doing a lot well. 

We needed to strengthen midfield and we have , we needed Gent and Spencer in wingbacks and we have. 

If we strengthen midfield and attack in Jan I think we'll be pretty solid.   The issue for me today was Slattery/SPittal offer very little. As most one of them should play but due to lack of squad both are getting a game. 

I personally see things getting better. I've seen much worse performances than what we've put in over the last month. 

This is where Im at.

A few weeks ago I thought it was looking very grim and that SKs head had gone.

However, today we've gone away to the 4th best team in the country who have only lost once at home this season to Rangers, with a patchwork defence and kept a clean sheet.

Given the goals we have conceded of late, those bemoaning our poor 4 man midfield might want to have a think about how that was achieved.

Had we converted just 1 of the 4 gilt edged chances created in the second half, then we would be sitting with our first win since September.

I get that its no wins in 14 now, but the manager did everything asked of him today. If he continues to do that and the players keep playing for him, then that win wont be far away.

There is no doubt the squad still needs help in January. But its looking less desperate than it was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

This is where Im at.

A few weeks ago I thought it was looking very grim and that SKs head had gone.

However, today we've gone away to the 4th best team in the country who have only lost once at home this season to Rangers, with a patchwork defence and kept a clean sheet.

Given the goals we have conceded of late, those bemoaning our poor 4 man midfield might want to have a think about how that was achieved.

Had we converted just 1 of the 4 gilt edged chances created in the second half, then we would be sitting with our first win since September.

I get that its no wins in 14 now, but the manager did everything asked of him today. If he continues to do that and the players keep playing for him, then that win wont be far away.

There is no doubt the squad still needs help in January. But its looking less desperate than it was.

Thats where I am. , January is important for me. This squad need major surgery between January and June. There are a clutch of players who have put a third manager in this kind of situation. I hope SK get a wins to start getting the wolves from the door. Am I confident ? no. I think 11th is our destiny this season as it stands. 

The Club celebrating 5 draws from 7 matches in an attempt to move the narrative away from 0 wins from 14 isn't going to wash with me. 

Look at the table. Livi are 5 points behind and with 2 games in hand, and Aberdeen are on equal points and with 3 games in hand. 

We need 3 points to drag us out of this mess, as more draws will likely only solidify us in 11th at best. 

Is Kettlewell able to conjure a win over the Rangers or Livi? Doubtful. 

33 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The Club celebrating 5 draws from 7 matches in an attempt to move the narrative away from 0 wins from 14 isn't going to wash with me. 

Look at the table. Livi are 5 points behind and with 2 games in hand, and Aberdeen are on equal points and with 3 games in hand. 

We need 3 points to drag us out of this mess, as more draws will likely only solidify us in 11th at best. 

Rangers - very doubtful. Livi - why not?

In those last 7 matches, we've picked up 5 points and lost 2 games. They've lost 6 and picked up 1 point. If you're expecting a miraculous turn around in form from them, then why would it be doubful we could do the same?

7 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Watching the highlights last night so frustrating as we had 4 great chances. Spittal has to score and Gent's header also.  Special praise to Kelly after last week's howler

Slattery's was the one that really annoyed me. The other guys could've done better, but he only had eyes for the penalty - again. There was one move where he turned a couple of players and got away from them, despite their efforts to pull him down. He's got that ability, but he looks for the easy option far too often, as his ridiculous number of bookings demonstrate.

34 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Slattery's was the one that really annoyed me. The other guys could've done better, but he only had eyes for the penalty - again. There was one move where he turned a couple of players and got away from them, despite their efforts to pull him down. He's got that ability, but he looks for the easy option far too often, as his ridiculous number of bookings demonstrate.

completely on the same page - Slattery spends most of the game looking for free kicks rather than cracking on with the game.  Something not right with his overall mentality and all in honesty a passenger who we need to release. 

He & Spittal both get more game time that perhaps they deserve but at least Spittal is an honest trier who's probably just limited. V's Slattery is one of those frustrating types who has ability but a questionable mentality. 

Think I'd prefer Bair in midfield than Slattery - just on workmate alone. 

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Rangers - very doubtful. Livi - why not?

In those last 7 matches, we've picked up 5 points and lost 2 games. They've lost 6 and picked up 1 point. If you're expecting a miraculous turn around in form from them, then why would it be doubful we could do the same?

I don't expect a miraculous turnaround in form for Livi. I think they'll be relegated and I think we’ll finish 11th at best unless we start winning games. 

44 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Agreed. But I think we will start winning games, sooner rather than later.

Agree 

if we find 1-2 decent attack minded midfielders + 1 improvement upfront we’d be a decent team (assuming everyone is fit)

Also appreciate we may end up 10th or 11th this season but can’t see this run continuing and I can see other teams having their own shit fests

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Yup, getting fed up with him going down far too easily

11 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Agree 

if we find 1-2 decent attack minded midfielders + 1 improvement upfront we’d be a decent team (assuming everyone is fit)

Also appreciate we may end up 10th or 11th this season but can’t see this run continuing and I can see other teams having their own shit fests

I would take 10th now if offered......and of course a Scottish Cup !! 😜😜

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

We have 5 draws in 7 matches including a number of last minute equalisers.

Livi havent scored a goal in 7 games.

I would never suggest Motherwell are a stick on to beat anyone, but its in no way doubtful.

I would say though, if we do go into that game with 16 without a win after the Rangers and Aberdeen games and we lose to Livvy, then the recent improvements will count for nothing and the end of the road will have been reached.

I sincerely hope that doesnt happen.

40 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We have 5 draws in 7 matches including a number of last minute equalisers.

Livi havent scored a goal in 7 games.

I would never suggest Motherwell are a stick on to beat anyone, but its in no way doubtful.

I would say though, if we do go into that game with 16 without a win after the Rangers and Aberdeen games and we lose to Livvy, then the recent improvements will count for nothing and the end of the road will have been reached.

I sincerely hope that doesnt happen.

I think we’ll lose to the Rangers and Aberdeen then secure a last minute draw against Livi. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

I think we’ll lose to the Rangers and Aberdeen then secure a last minute draw against Livi. 

But we're just as likely to draw with Rangers, beat Aberdeen and lose to Livi. How many times have we been on a terrible run of form and going into a few games where we couldn't see where a win comes from, only to get something?

21 minutes ago, David said:

But we're just as likely to draw with Rangers, beat Aberdeen and lose to Livi. How many times have we been on a terrible run of form and going into a few games where we couldn't see where a win comes from, only to get something?

It's unpredictable, but our run of form suggests a draw or defeat is most likely in all three matches. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we beat the Rangers.