Motherwell v Hearts 19/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Can’t see us getting anything from this one I’m afraid. Hearts are by far and away the third best side in the league and are as strong as they have been in years. The squad they have boasts an embarrassment of riches with a tough, combative midfield, strong defence and goalkeeper and goals throughout the team.

In Lawrence Shankland they have an absolutely lethal No.9 and the likes of Humphrys, Ginnelly and McKay contribute goals as well. Robert Snodgrass has been instrumental for them this season and you can see why we were keen to land him in August as he is a top player.

I would imagine they will bring a good support as they have been travelling in huge numbers of late.

Motherwell 1-5 Hearts

Confident as ever I see. Your invincible favourites (Hearts) won at Fir Park earlier this year in a game even their fud of a manager said they were lucky to win, and beat us courtesy of a late penalty at Tynecastle. Both games against a Motherwell team that was really struggling.

You may be right that we will lose, but I hope to F@#k that the players don't share your opinion of the jambos. If we get the effort and commitment we saw last night, we can hopefully get up their noses and take something from this one.

32 minutes ago, MJC said:

Can’t see us getting anything from this one I’m afraid. Hearts are by far and away the third best side in the league and are as strong as they have been in years. The squad they have boasts an embarrassment of riches with a tough, combative midfield, strong defence and goalkeeper and goals throughout the team.

In Lawrence Shankland they have an absolutely lethal No.9 and the likes of Humphrys, Ginnelly and McKay contribute goals as well. Robert Snodgrass has been instrumental for them this season and you can see why we were keen to land him in August as he is a top player.

I would imagine they will bring a good support as they have been travelling in huge numbers of late.

Motherwell 1-5 Hearts

Motherwell 1-5 Hearts 👀 WHIT?
Oh yeah forgot it this was a post by the jam tarts fan MJC :doh:

I don't know if we'll get anything from this one, but at the end of it Hearts will know they have been in a game.

The games at Fir Park are usually pretty tight affairs. The 3 - 0 defeat was a bit of an anomaly.  Despite our winless form for long spells last season, Hearts were one of our 3 point bankers at Fir Park

I never said that Hearts were invincible just that they are as strong as they have been in many years. And they clearly are.

In their last fifteen domestic games they have only lost three times, twice to Rangers and once to Celtic. They can get results even when not playing at their best and when they are on top form they are capable of punishing sides. They took five off Aberdeen, took three off Hibs home and away so they are more than capable of giving us a sound beating on Sunday especially with our leaky backline. 

We need to stop giving away cheap goals, work on concentration and start picking up points where we can, that’s why last night was such a crucial result. A game against a strong Hearts side is likely to be too soon for us to keep our (hopeful) revival going and the only way we will get anything will be if they have a big off day.

Yup, Hearts results against Aberdeen and Hibs are impressive but by way of contrast I saw them against Livi recently and found them pedestrian. Since then they got overrun by Rangers and failed to impress against Accies.

Don't necessarily see us taking anything against them but I certainly don't see a hiding.

11 hours ago, MJC said:

Motherwell 1-5 Hearts

They have taken a further option in tickets and have sold 3300 , if we could only get 5000 of our own support out would make for a great atmosphere. Hearts don't play great football but they create lots of chances and have a great attacking flair. I don't see us getting anything , would happily take a draw right now if offered.

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

They have taken a further option in tickets and have sold 3300 , if we could only get 5000 of our own support out would make for a great atmosphere. Hearts don't play great football but they create lots of chances and have a great attacking flair. I don't see us getting anything , would happily take a draw right now if offered.

We don't have 5k of a core support, more like 3 maybe 4k on a good day but that's no excuse for not getting behind the team so I hope the fans do just that and support them, as long as the team do their bit as well.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We don't have 5k of a core support, more like 3 maybe 4k on a good day but that's no excuse for not getting behind the team so I hope the fans do just that and support them, as long as the team do their bit as well.

Had 4k on Wednesday. So with what's been a little positivity since then maybe 4500 on Sunday.

St mirren have increased their core support to 5.5 , 6k really based on beating and drawing with glsgow 2 I feel. As well as only giving them 1200 tickets makes their fans not outnumbered at their stadium. 

Anytime they come to us with 5k away fans it's not enjoyable because of results and them outnumbering us and generally taking the piss due to size of our away stand. . I am not complaining  about this as it is a good income stream but I do feel it affects our core support as you put it. 

If only we could get support like play off game.

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

If only we could get support like play off game.

Yes but I think it’s fair to say that a sizeable chunk of the ‘Motherwell’ support that day weren’t Motherwell fans. I know there were plenty Celtic fans in our stands on that occasion and no doubt some fans of other clubs as well.

That said I don’t think that our support, or potential support is any smaller than our peer clubs like Killie and St.Mirren, it’s much of a muchness. What I would say though is that we have a lazy element of our fanbase who simply don’t attend run of the mill games yet turn up for Cup Finals, European games and playoffs against Rangers. I’m not just talking about in the current climate either where finances are tough, this has been the case with our support for as long as I can remember. What I tend to find as well with these types and it’s quite ironic and amusing, is that they are usually the ones who are most vocal in moaning about Old Firm glory hunters and how they see themselves as being superior to them in some way. Yet they rarely set foot inside Fir Park themselves.🤷‍♂️

Obviously we don't know starting xi or subs for Sunday but can I just put out an appeal that we don't actually boo any of our own players?

Just my own view but I found it embarrassing to hear SOD being booed when he came on. Now I don't know the lad personally but apart from not playing well I don't know what he has done to cause so much anger amongst some fans unless I am missing something.  If players playing badly then booing them isn't exactly going to help.

Anyway let's create a great atmosphere on Sunday and hopefully get another great result.

COYW 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Obviously we don't know starting xi or subs for Sunday but can I just put out an appeal that we don't actually boo any of our own players?

Just my own view but I found it embarrassing to hear SOD being booed when he came on. Now I don't know the lad personally but apart from not playing well I don't know what he has done to cause so much anger amongst some fans unless I am missing something.  If players playing badly then booing them isn't exactly going to help.

Anyway let's create a great atmosphere on Sunday and hopefully get another great result.

COYW 

Sadly that’s true. If I see a player not quite on their game I encourage him not abuse him. Some of our fans need to get a grip the abuse is way over the top.

COYW

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Sadly that’s true. If I see a player not quite on their game I encourage him not abuse him. Some of our fans need to get a grip the abuse is way over the top.

COYW

Totally correct.

I also feel what's being underestimated about Wednesday is there was just encouragement generally from fans rather than what was happening at end of hammell and Alexander and other recent managers reigns.

The new manager bounce is in part down to him but also the difference in attitude from fans maybe enables players to run a wee bit further and a wee bit faster as well as wanting the ball more. The cheering for even wee tackles on Wednesday no doubt gave them a boost and I hope it continues on Sunday. 

We have imo been robbed against them this season. Fir park was just one of those days but tynecastle we were cheated as Gordon should have been sent and hearts down to 9. That's not sour grapes just facts. 

Looking forward to Sunday although quite aware they have a really gd team .

8 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

Had the same against St Johnstone, a group of female's absolutely cheering and booing when KVV was subbed, but on Wednesday when he scored and later on when he was replaced, lauding him like a world beater. W-m-n what do they know. 

Tell you what, the Boos would ring out around the east stand if my mates dropped me in it and revealed my identity, so you're grizzly??....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Lol

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

Totally correct.

I also feel what's being underestimated about Wednesday is there was just encouragement generally from fans rather than what was happening at end of hammell and Alexander and other recent managers reigns.

The new manager bounce is in part down to him but also the difference in attitude from fans maybe enables players to run a wee bit further and a wee bit faster as well as wanting the ball more. The cheering for even wee tackles on Wednesday no doubt gave them a boost and I hope it continues on Sunday. 

We have imo been robbed against them this season. Fir park was just one of those days but tynecastle we were cheated as Gordon should have been sent and hearts down to 9. That's not sour grapes just facts. 

Looking forward to Sunday although quite aware they have a really gd team .

The players up’d the effort on Wednesday night and by quite a bit. So much so it was night and day from previous matches. The crowd could see that and responded accordingly. So the players are at least tying to turn things around. Up to the fans to do their part now and support and encourage the players even if they don’t like them or if they are struggling.  We have to keep everyone, players and fans alike, all going in the same positive direction so Grizzly’s post is spot on. Let’s get behind the team and give as much vocal support as we can! You won’t hear me but I’ll be up for 6am kick off watching it on the Telly roaring them on and getting an earful from the wife for being so loud so early on a Sunday morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Booing a player of either team in most cases isn't right (exceptions being diving and inciting fans) but it maybe says more about the fan than the player. I don't mean that in a bad way. Many go to games as a release or an escape from everyday pressures. Its a way of letting off steam as is cheering or shouting. Not saying its right but thats the way it is for some.