2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

17 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

1 million for Van Veen id let him go hes not getting any younger and gives us some cash to re-invest come the summer we realistically should be safe if we win 2 more games this season.

and thats exactly what hibs said a few years ago 

Didn't the old "mega-rich Chinese club" rumours die out when the arse fell out of their league and the big money being spent on players dried up? Didn't their governing body impose a strict salary cap on their clubs, enforce the "de-corporatisation" of club names which drove away lucrative buyers and sponsorship and basically bully clubs into playing young Chinese players instead?

I mean, if they're offering mental money for someone in their early 30's then I'm sure the club will look at it, but anyone who heads to China now, with all the post-Covid shenanigans that's gone on is absolutely mental. 

46 minutes ago, David said:

Didn't the old "mega-rich Chinese club" rumours die out when the arse fell out of their league and the big money being spent on players dried up? Didn't their governing body impose a strict salary cap on their clubs, enforce the "de-corporatisation" of club names which drove away lucrative buyers and sponsorship and basically bully clubs into playing young Chinese players instead?

I mean, if they're offering mental money for someone in their early 30's then I'm sure the club will look at it, but anyone who heads to China now, with all the post-Covid shenanigans that's gone on is absolutely mental. 

Maybe a wee war as well 

23 hours ago, David said:

People in Beijing were locked down for far less time than we were in Lanarkshire. 

You are right about the spending though. I looked on Transfermrkt and none of the clubs are paying significant fees. £1.8m net spend for the entire league when I looked. 

19 hours ago, steelboy said:

People in Beijing were locked down for far less time than we were in Lanarkshire. 

I was more meaning the whole carry-on with people leaving China having issues getting into other countries until very recently, and the obvious political slant to that with them seeming to side with Russia etc. Basically, even if they were offering the big money, it's not the place to be going at this time I wouldn't think. With no money I'd say even less so.

20 hours ago, steelboy said:

Turning a blind eye and not enforcing a lock down was how the Chinese kicked off the pandemic.

Anyone have any idea what the Josh Morris situation is? Is he playing with the reserves or not at all? Surely we'll be looking to send him out on a season-long loan next season so that we don't have to waste any money on his wages.

49 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The silence from the club around this player (and others) is odd. 

He's not in the matchday squad because he's rubbish. Do the club need to announce this every week? He probably wants to leave, we want him to leave, he's under contract, the transfer window is closed. The 'silence from the club' is because there's nothing to say...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 8:08 PM, Kmcalpin said:

I'm not doubting your take on this as I simply don't know, but would want to make sure we were safe from relegation before allowing him to move on. 

According to the Daily rancid the offer has been kicked out by Motherwell. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Realistically outside Van Veen, Johnston who will likely go and Butcher and Casey is there anyone you'd be desperate to keep?

Would be intrested to hear who and why.

Butcher is contracted for another season...

2 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

Realistically outside Van Veen, Johnston who will likely go and Butcher and Casey is there anyone you'd be desperate to keep?

Would be intrested to hear who and why.

Butcher signed till end of next season so going nowhere 

14 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

thats good to know hes been great since he came in could do with him or someone like him in midfield aswell

Yep, KVV getting a lot of the plaudits and rightly so but for me signing Butcher has been just as important, if it was Hammell that spotted him he deserves credit....same applies to Casey

23 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep, KVV getting a lot of the plaudits and rightly so but for me signing Butcher has been just as important, if it was Hammell that spotted him he deserves credit....same applies to Casey

Agreed,both butcher and casey have definitely played a big part in our upturn in form,getting casey tied up would be one of the best bits of buisiness we could do going into next season,hopefully kettlewell can find two attacking fullbacks as it's been refreshing watching johnstone and furlong getting forward and causing problems for the opposition.

It's going to be an interesting summer, to say the least.

Quite a few are out of contract but I would be delighted to see us retain Casey, Johnston, and Cornelius and happy for McGinn to stay, mixed feelings about Goss. I can see Carroll being offered a Craig Tanner type extension due to his injury. Won't lose sleep at losing Aitchison, Mandron, Efford, O'Donnell, and Paton.

I know it's easier said than done but it would be nice to move on some deadwood i.e. Shields, Morris, and Maguire. I wonder if Dundee would still be happy to take Lamie. McGinley would be hard to punt due to his long-term injury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Retaining Casey would be excellent and I hope it happens, but remember we have Blaney coming back from injury if Casey moves on. 

On 5/4/2023 at 4:26 PM, maz said:

It's going to be an interesting summer, to say the least.

Quite a few are out of contract but I would be delighted to see us retain Casey, Johnston, and Cornelius and happy for McGinn to stay, mixed feelings about Goss. I can see Carroll being offered a Craig Tanner type extension due to his injury. Won't lose sleep at losing Aitchison, Mandron, Efford, O'Donnell, and Paton.

I know it's easier said than done but it would be nice to move on some deadwood i.e. Shields, Morris, and Maguire. I wonder if Dundee would still be happy to take Lamie. McGinley would be hard to punt due to his long-term injury.

Almost exactly my thinking too.

• David locked this topic