2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Just out of curiosity. Are you willing to accept he was one of our better players at Perth, even winning a penalty. In fact, a very able deputy for Max. Arguably better defensively. I maybe missed you saying that in the match thread. 

It was a terrible game overall and I don't think anyone played well other than Butcher and Casey but credit to him for getting up the park and winning the pen.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

SOD has come out and said he's here for next season.

Surely he's not triggered a contract extension with all the 2 minute cameos he gets?

SOD is contracted to May 2023, meaning he’s been offered a new deal if what you note is true. Where did SOD say this? 

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

SOD is contracted to May 2023, meaning he’s been offered a new deal if what you note is true. Where did SOD say this? 

“It’s been a stop-start last couple of seasons but it’s always a joy to come on and play.

“I’ve another year so, unless someone is going to come in with a big bid for me like Kevin, then I am here!”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-defender-stephen-odonnell-hits-29988848

Reminiscent of when they extended McGinley and kept it under wraps because they knew the fans would (rightly) be pissed off.

20 hours ago, steelboy said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-defender-stephen-odonnell-hits-29988848

Reminiscent of when they extended McGinley and kept it under wraps because they knew the fans would (rightly) be pissed off.

Cannot help yourself can you? 
just another one in a long line of players who can do no right in your eyes. Spittal is another. Whether you are prepared to accept it or not, Spittal and SOD have contributed to the revival under Kettlewell. 

Not just players or football of course. Dare I mention Burrows or Sturgeon. 

I expect players to be criticised for a poor performance, and I support that criticism when it is justified. Where most fans differ from you is that they will praise those same players when they perform well. You on the other hand just go silent. 

And anyway, if SOD were to leave, you would have to find someone else to obsess over. 

• Like 5

Wonder if there was an appearance based clause in his contract to trigger another year?

Either way, he's a solid enough player who may fare better in the wing back role if we stick with it, or at worst function as an experienced backup. 

With the additional subs available now, I think that changes how teams shape their squads and their bench as subs can have a greater impact now. We've seen SOD come on a few times under kettlewell as a defensive sub late in the game. 

26 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Cannot help yourself can you? 
just another one in a long line of players who can do no right in your eyes. Spittal is another. Whether you are prepared to accept it or not, Spittal and SOD have contributed to the revival under Kettlewell. 

Not just players or football of course. Dare I mention Burrows or Sturgeon. 

I expect players to be criticised for a poor performance, and I support that criticism when it is justified. Where most fans differ is that they will praise those same players when they perform well. You on the other hand just go silent. 

And anyway, if SOD were to leave, you would have to find someone else to obsess over. 

Spittal has been one of the stars of the Kettlewell era, I think everyone would agree that.

• Like 6

Clearly Max will be away but I am not so keen on SOD being his replacement he has offered us next to nothing last year and half.When he has been called on step into the squad he has been shocking.

As for Spitttal outstanding why?Cause he is being played in his natural  best position on the pitch this is why I am hoping for the 2nd coming of Shields under Kettlewell!

And no I have not been drinking lol.

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I wouldn't say he deliberately got himself sent off.  I just think the stick he gets is over the top, I don't know the guy personally but apart from him having a bad spell when yes he was poor I don't see what he has done so wrong. All about opinions..COYW

There is no doubt he has a level of quality missing in many of our signings over the last few years and Kettlewell is bringing the best out of players. Given that I don’t see a problem with him staying. We can hopefully build something around those better players next season and a fit and motivated SOD should be an asset.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 6:15 PM, Toxteth O'Grady said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65545457

Kevin van Veen 'more than willing to help Motherwell in financial way'

Last updated 1 hour ago.From the sectionMotherwell

Kevin van Veen has hit 21 league goals for a side sitting eighth in the 12-team Premiership Kevin van Veen has hit 21 league goals for a side sitting eighth in the 12-team Premiership

Kevin van Veen would be happy if Motherwell were to cash in on a summer transfer but insists he is "more than delighted" at Fir Park.

The Dutchman, 31, has scored 25 goals in all competitions this season and has a year to run on his contract.

That form has earned him a PFA Scotland player of the year nomination, along with Celtic trio Callum McGregor, Reo Hatate and Kyogo Furuhashi.

"It's very clichéd but I love playing for the club," said Van Veen.

"At the moment, I can't say anything other than I'm focused on Motherwell. They gave me a platform to show my ability and what I can do.

"But what I can't say, for example, is if the club is getting a really good transfer sum in the summer to not say no, financially for them I give everything.

"I'm more than willing to help the club in a financial way, that doesn't mean I want to leave.

"If everybody is happy and thinking it is the right thing then we need to sit around the table and see what's best for the player and also for the club.

"I'm a bit older, so if there is one more chance to make a step up or if it's financially, I want everybody to agree on it. I would never leave on a bad taste.

"It's going to be interesting in the summer to see what's going to happen but I'm more than delighted to be a Motherwell player."

Van Veen signed for Motherwell in the summer of 2021, arriving as a free agent from Scunthorpe United.

He has scored in each of his past seven Scottish Premiership games (10 goals), which is the best run in the league since Rangers' Alfredo Morelos in December 2018.

The last player to score in eight in a row in the top-flight was Craig Dargo for Inverness Caledonian Thistle in February 2006.

Fair enough for me, it’s the reality of football in the modern era. Although my opinion that 200k Would be a fair transfer fee for him was obviously nothing short of nonsense so what do I know. 

10 hours ago, Thunderlips said:

I actually think the formation that Kettlewell has been using suits O'Donnell's strengths so good news if so and must mean Johnston is definitely off.

I agree with that,I think o'donnell is better suited to playing the wing back role in a 352 rather than in a 4 at the back.i think part of the problem under the previous managers,mainly alexander was that they didn't want the full backs going past the halfway line but we should get more out of o'donnell if he's allowed to get forward and in the current setup that will happen,saturday being the casing point when he was in the box to win our penalty on saturday.

Unless we can secure another decent loan wingback like Penney or Furlong, or we've got another right-sided RB/wingback coming through the youth ranks, then SOD is likely the next best option to replace Max (if he goes). SOD is also a much better wingback than he is a RB, meaning he's suited to Kettlewell's preferred tactics. 

21 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I wouldn't say he deliberately got himself sent off.  I just think the stick he gets is over the top, I don't know the guy personally but apart from him having a bad spell when yes he was poor I don't see what he has done so wrong. All about opinions..COYW

I take he is one of the better paid players, so it could be argued, are we getting value for money?

If hes willing to stay for whatever he's offered , maybe worth keeping

He hasn't been used fully by ketts, hammy or ga , so kind of speaks for itself...his last game v Raith was awful,

I never saw st j game, so if he did better , great...you're only as good , or bad, as your last game 

10 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Talking of new deals , is the lack of CEO going to bite us? Or is it all in hand?

On 5/12/2023 at 7:55 PM, wellfan said:

From the Well Society newsletter:

CEO update
As you may be aware, the club have undertaken an extensive interview process for the vacant Chief Executive position. So far, they have not made a permanent appointment. Board members are currently covering various aspects of the role with Derek Weir, a former Director and Vice Chairman assisting on an interim basis.

SOD is regressing I haven't seen anything when he has stepped in to tell me any other wise.

It's like on the other side of Carroll and McGinlay is the answer then both flanks are a huge step down from this season.

New Left and Right attacking full back needed  they are a massive part of the system we play now and having above players as our options doesn't fill me with excitement.

• Haha 1

Kettlewell said something at the end of his pre-match press conference earlier today that would suggest Morris will soon be away. Anyone know anything about this, and Crankshaw?! The website hasn't even been updated with our new manager and assistant yet, let alone players. 

I feel so sorry for them with injuries but Carroll and McGinley 2 of the poorest left backs I have ever seen at Fir Park. I wonder if Young Furlong could be tempted as he is out of contract. If not then we need to have a look and sign someone for that position 

• David locked this topic