2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

What goalscorer are we going to atract? weve already got 8 contracted attacking players for next season in

Van Veen who's off, Efford,Shields,Atchinson,Tierney,Spittal,Danzaki,Morris 

In that group the only 2 who have performed are KVV and Blair Spittal we need 2 strikers imo and Fletcher could defintley get 10 goals for us with the amount we create. As for his age i dont mind the odd punt but upfront we need a guy whos got a bit eperience if we want to execute the current style of play suspect Moult will also be coming back and them 2 up front could at least keep us up.

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A 36 year old? He'd want a fair wedge of cash and would we be prepared to offer that for a supporting striker. We'd still need a goalscorer. He's never been a proliific striker. Personally I'd dso it the other way around.  Pay a moderate salary for a workmanlike supporting striker and fork out a bit more for the goalscorer. 

Fletcher would have been a great foil for KVV. If Kevs away, Fletcher isnt what we need, even though I really rate him as a player. As KMc says, his goal return isnt enough for the money he would command. As a club we need to get back to getting value for money and invest in players we can move on to a higher level after a couple of seasons and bring in some much needed revenue. Thats why we wont be standing in Kevs way if a half decent offer comes in.

Just now, thewelllfan said:

What goalscorer are we going to atract? weve already got 8 contracted attacking players for next season in

In that group the only 2 who have performed are KVV and Blair Spittal we need 2 strikers imo and Fletcher could defintley get 10 goals for us with the amount we create. As for his age i dont mind the odd punt but upfront we need a guy whos got a bit eperience if we want to execute the current style of play suspect Moult will also be coming back and them 2 up front could at least keep us up.

Fletcher and and a fit Louis Moult would be pretty exciting. But it would come with all the usual caveats and probably not the model the club are going to follow.....

I would imagine Kettlewell will be looking to offload a lot of the unconctracted players and as many of the contracted ones, that he doesnt fancy, as he can.

What business we do will probably depend on how successful he can be in that regard.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would imagine Kettlewell will be looking to offload a lot of the unconctracted players and as many of the contracted ones, that he doesnt fancy, as he can.

What business we do will probably depend on how successful he can be in that regard.

Yes, almost certainly thats what he'll be aiming to do. Trim a bloated squad, re-sign a handful of those he wants and then bring in some. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Pretty sure Aitchison and Efford are out of contract. So when we sell Van Veen, we will only have one striker on the books and he's been on loan at Queens Park...

18 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Pretty sure Aitchison and Efford are out of contract. So when we sell Van Veen, we will only have one striker on the books and he's been on loan at Queens Park...

If thats the case im not too bothered losing either always thought efford was a decent player

38 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Aitchison signed an 18 month deal if i remeber correctly thought efford had another year aswell

No, it was six.

52 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

That's the main challenge for SK this summer, to work on the assumption that KVV is going and try to identify and bring in a proven goal scorer, assuming there are any available and within budget.

As I have the fear going into next season relying on Efford, Shields, Aitchison and Obika as our main goal threat.

Just now, Spiderpig said:

That's the main challenge for SK this summer, to work on the assumption that KVV is going and try to identify and bring in a proven goal scorer, assuming there are any available and within budget.

As I have the fear going into next season relying on Efford, Shields, Aitchison and Obika as our main goal threat.

is Obika not up at the end of the season and Mandron has another year or have I got that the wrong way round ??

Our Current contracted 23/24 squad looks like

Gk- Kelly, Oxborough

Cb- Mugbai,Butcher,Blaney, Lamie

Cm- Slattery, Maguire, Miller

Rwb- O'Donnell

Lwb-Mcginley

Cam- Spittal, Tierney, Danzaki

St- Van Veen, Shields

That looks worrying.

14 hours ago, yosemite sam said:

A striker who can score 29 goals a season is worth a lot more than a million pounds.

A striker who is the right side of 30 and who scores 30 odd goals a season regularly is worth a lot more than a million pounds. 

Van Veen, for as great as he's been this summer, is neither.

Apart from this season his highest tally since the 2014/15 season was 15 goals with Scunthorpe in League 2 down south. Since that 2014/15 season he's hit double figures 5 times, including this season, and those double-figure seasons were at League One and League Two level down south, and Premiership level up here.

If he does leave us, it'll likely be to go to a mid-level Dutch team, or a League one or two side down south, and they're not throwing over a million quid our way for him.

£500k to £750k seems about right to me.

Now is a a good time to be as ruthless as we can .

money for kvv will pay off some of our recent losses 

offload all the players who are out of contract , none of the strikers are good enough .

say thanks and goodbye to Cornelius and Glenys out of contract .

put out the Morris’s , shields etc out on loan to championship clubs or anyone who’ll have them .

30 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Gk- Kelly, Oxborough

Rwb- O'Donnell

Lwb-Mcginley

St- Van Veen, Shields

That looks worrying.

Fact Bevis, Maguire, McGinley and Shields still under contract is a concern 

4 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

If were losing Van Veen id honestly love Steven Fletcher on a free might not have had a great season at Utd but his Link up Play and movement is far better than that of Obika and Mandron also would happily take Levitt of Utd if he were available.

If we're talking about raiding Dundee Utd, then I'd be happy to see Ian Harkes in our midfield.

35 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

Gk- Kelly, Oxborough

Rwb- O'Donnell

Lwb-Mcginley

St- Van Veen, Shields

That looks worrying.

I think I'd rather have another pandemic than watch Maguire, McGinlay, Tierney and Shields next season.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Fact Bevis, Maguire, McGinley and Shields still under contract is a concern 

They're all capable players who haven't performed well enough this season (apart from McGinley), SK may be able to work with them and improve them. Goss, for example, looked like a new signing after Hammell was sacked. If he thinks that they're just not up to it then he'll surely find loan clubs for them.

1 hour ago, David said:

A striker who is the right side of 30 and who scores 30 odd goals a season regularly is worth a lot more than a million pounds. 

Van Veen, for as great as he's been this summer, is neither.

Apart from this season his highest tally since the 2014/15 season was 15 goals with Scunthorpe in League 2 down south. Since that 2014/15 season he's hit double figures 5 times, including this season, and those double-figure seasons were at League One and League Two level down south, and Premiership level up here.

If he does leave us, it'll likely be to go to a mid-level Dutch team, or a League one or two side down south, and they're not throwing over a million quid our way for him.

£500k to £750k seems about right to me.

May be right from the buyers point of view but from our point of view he is probably worth that or more to us plus we would have to find another striker. so why sell him for that amount of money? 

39 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think I'd rather have another pandemic than watch Maguire, McGinlay, Tierney and Shields next season.

I think Tierney is a good player and shows a lot of potential to further develop, but I also think that his type has no place in a Kettlewell team. 

• David locked this topic