2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I don’t get comments about Cornelius and Tierney being lightweight or needing to bulk up etc. if you’re good enough you’re big enough. There are lots of successful players of smaller stature, it all comes down to “are you good enough or not” ? 

53 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I don’t get comments about Cornelius and Tierney being lightweight or needing to bulk up etc. if you’re good enough you’re big enough. There are lots of successful players of smaller stature, it all comes down to “are you good enough or not” ? 

Very true - Owen Coyle is a good example of a lightweight who was good enough .

3 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not so sure about that these days. Sports science has moved on the past couple of decades to the point that most players are bulked up.

I think it was Arsene Wenger that introduced the notion to British football that the only thing better than a talented footballer was an athletic, bulked up talented footballer.

You don't need to be a Kipré or a Mandron, but you need a basic level of core strength to stand up to the rigours of weekly midfield battles.

28 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not so sure about that these days. Sports science has moved on the past couple of decades to the point that most players are bulked up.

I think it was Arsene Wenger that introduced the notion to British football that the only thing better than a talented footballer was an athletic, bulked up talented footballer.

You don't need to be a Kipré or a Mandron, but you need a basic level of core strength to stand up to the rigours of weekly midfield battles.

I know, that Bernardo Silva is a monster! 

28 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

i also know a spfl ass manager who i played with years ago .  that told me " i dont need a good football player, just give me a 6"2 big built like a shite house athletic fast runner and i will teach him how to play football " thats a fact 

good job it wasnt wee jinky

36 minutes ago, smiddy said:

i also know a spfl ass manager who i played with years ago .  that told me " i dont need a good football player, just give me a 6"2 big built like a shite house athletic fast runner and i will teach him how to play football " thats a fact 

Easier said than done 

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

Did they not try that with Usain Bolt? Don’t think that worked out too well…

Thinking back to last Sunday when United brought on Cudjoe. A modern day Russell Latapy. Not a big lad but strong as an ox. He was able to shrug off challenges and we couldn't wrest the ball from him. He flattened 2 or 3 of our lads who were much bigger than him.

15 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

There really aren't any successful players of Tierney's stature. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

There really aren't any successful players of Tierney's stature. 

I'm sure if Iniesta had been Scottish, he'd have been told he wouldn'y make it and to go and play with the lassies....

14 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I guarantee that as a 28 year old player at Man City he'll be ripped and have the core strength of an MMA fighter.

I'm never, however, going to google "Bernardo Silva shirtless".

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Iniesta is bigger than Tierney. 

Wrong, Tierney is 2" taller than Iniesta.

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Messi is 3 or 4 inches taller than Tierney and probably a stone and a half of extra muscle. 

Messi is 2" smaller than Tierney as well. You don't half talk some pish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Messi is 3 or 4 inches taller than Tierney and probably a stone and a half of extra muscle. 

Messi 1.7m or 5 5 foot 7 - Tierney  1.74m or 5 foot 9

Ok i know that your always right so the internet must be wrong again

3 hours ago, Yassin said:

I like Tierney but I think Steelboy is right in that I've never seen a player as slight as him before.

Willo Flood had a good enough career for a guy who was in danger of being carried away by a strong wind.

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic