2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 minute ago, pretzel said:

The Daily Ranger reporting that we are interested in signings Dipo Akinyemi from Ayr United, Dundee also in the mix. A Premiership club was interested in signing him in January but bid was declined then. 

I hope we do our homework and don't end up with another Conor Shields.

19 minutes ago, pretzel said:

The Daily Ranger reporting that we are interested in signings Dipo Akinyemi from Ayr United, Dundee also in the mix. A Premiership club was interested in signing him in January but bid was declined then. 

Scratch that someone has created a ton of fake Daily Record Sports accounts on Twitter. I like that platform for the legit reporters and club news but conversely full of fuds with fake profiles. 

I can’t believe that anyone who has watched us over the past two years wouldn’t want Liam Kelly to remain with us. He had some poor displays last season but overall he has been excellent for us and saved us from many a potential drubbing.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, MJC said:

I can’t believe that anyone who has watched us over the past two years wouldn’t want Liam Kelly to remain with us. He had some poor displays last season but overall he has been excellent for us and saved us from many a potential drubbing.

Think the pressure of being the captain under a duff manager and feeling others in team couldnt be arsed got to him last season. Hence a few below par performances and blunders but generally he is a good keeper.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

For first half of the season we had a very poor defence in front  of Kelly gifting goals every week .  

as soon as butcher and Casey arrived we tightened up and Kelly got back to normal form .

best keeper we’ve had since likes of Randolph

That last statement is nonsense. Carson and Gillespie were both better...

• Like 3

On 6/15/2023 at 10:05 PM, weeyin said:

He said it would take life changing money for a Scottish club to afford him.

That was basically saying, as he's under contract, we would want silly money to sell him to a league rival, but would ask for less if he was being sold outside the country.

So what we are trying to say is if say Celtic offered 1 million compared to the 500k received we would turn it down? Nonsense.

Carson barely put a foot wrong in his first season with us before the DVT issue. He's spoken about his gambling issues which probably explain why he was playing for Hartlepool when he clearly had the ability to play much higher.

Gillespie was great for as well, big saves and not too many errors. Kelly is a good keeper for us but not on Gillespie's level.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wunderwell said:

So what we are trying to say is if say Celtic offered 1 million compared to the 500k received we would turn it down? Nonsense.

That’s not what I took from Wee Yins comment. I understood he meant any potential Scottish buyer would have to pay a premium as we would be reluctant to sell to a league rival. Reluctant but not unrealistic or stupid. 

So in your example we would certainly be willing to accept the £1m. £500k plus add ons for a 32 year, who has had one exceptional season and entering the final year of his contract is hardly a bad deal. I wish him well if he does move on. 

27 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

And my opinion is that that's nonsense...😉

That's cool. Can live with that.   Hadn't thought too much about Carson & Gillespie. 

From our current squad there's a few people that we'd love to keep.  At least 2 of them are leaving, wouldn't want Kelly to fall into that category and be moved on for a few hundred k 

Are we seriously saying, lets take a few quid for a Scotland squad keeper? If he was to go and the next keeper delivered poor performances, I can imagine the comments about the management and the board. LK is a very good keeper, lets keep him in post! Obviously every player has a price, but to talk about moving LK on is madness,

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stonehaven'Well said:

Are we seriously saying, lets take a few quid for a Scotland squad keeper? If he was to go and the next keeper delivered poor performances, I can imagine the comments about the management and the board. LK is a very good keeper, lets keep him in post! Obviously every player has a price, but to talk about moving LK on is madness,

I’m amazed it’s even being mentioned, he’s one of the best keepers in the division and has saved us a ton of points.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, steelboy said:

Carson barely put a foot wrong in his first season with us before the DVT issue. He's spoken about his gambling issues which probably explain why he was playing for Hartlepool when he clearly had the ability to play much higher.

Gillespie was great for as well, big saves and not too many errors. Kelly is a good keeper for us but not on Gillespie's level.

But Carson never played at a higher level unless you count us as the pinnacle of his career, and as for Gillespie he's that good he's 4th or 5th choice at Newcastle so no big moves or regular 1st team football for him either, they were both decent but nothing special.

Kelly has been immense for us since he arrived,  one of the top keepers in the premiership and would have been capped for Scotland if someone other than that fud Clarke was in charge, so all told of the 3 we got the best deal in Kelly I think.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dennyc said:

That’s not what I took from Wee Yins comment. I understood he meant any potential Scottish buyer would have to pay a premium as we would be reluctant to sell to a league rival. Reluctant but not unrealistic or stupid. 

So in your example we would certainly be willing to accept the £1m. £500k plus add ons for a 32 year, who has had one exceptional season and entering the final year of his contract is hardly a bad deal. I wish him well if he does move on. 

I seriously dont think its as contrived as that re Scottish clubs. .I think Kettlewell said what he said hoping he'd start a bidding war . Its all part of the mind games. The bidding war didn't materialise so he will go for what the club consider realistic bid and I'd suspect that will be in the region of £750,000 when all topped and tailed. 

44 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

that fud Clarke was in charge

LOOL Clarke is probably the best Scottish manager in a generation if not more. Kelly is rightfully not first choice. Great keeper for us (most of the time) but he has a lot of mistakes in him and that's why he plays for us. 

3 hours ago, Well Well said:

LOOL Clarke is probably the best Scottish manager in a generation if not more. Kelly is rightfully not first choice. Great keeper for us (most of the time) but he has a lot of mistakes in him and that's why he plays for us. 

What are you talking about?The same Clarke that got us to the first tournament in 22 years and played the newly crowned Nation League champions off the pitch to the point they were crying that Clarke?Aye rank rotten manager that guy should be sacked😉

Blows my mind its like folk want us to fail as a nation  instead of progression nah best thing to happen to Scotland in a long long time but some folk are never happy never praise the wins but jump right online to moan about the draws and loses.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

There is a reason Clarke was desperate to get in Angus Gunn when he was left with a choice of Zander Clark and Liam Kelly.

When Gordon was fit, there were a few occasions where he could have given Kelly a few minutes in friendlies but opted not to do so, you would have thought with Gordon's age it might have been wise to give someone at least a cap to see what they could do in case he got injured or decided to call it a day, hindsight is great obviously but we ended up in that position where our keeper choices had no caps between them. I mean he even gave Scott Bain a handful of caps. As you stated, convincing a guy who was slagging the international team not that long ago must have been a kick in the tadger to both Kelly and Clark and showed them where they rank in the scheme of things. 

• David locked this topic